Does adding more nodes....

Joseph13

In-game: Joseph

Does adding more nodes....

by Joseph13 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 15:04

Does adding more nodes to the game(in the form of mods like coloredwood) slow it down or need more system RAM? I know it will increase the startup time but will I get more lag? My computer specs: Dell Inspiron 3520
Windows 7 pro 64bit
Intel HD graphics 3000
8 gigs of RAM
Intel core i3
Also the computer running the server may make a difference. It is just running a cmd window with the server running on that. Will the server also need more RAM?
I love Hobby Drones! They are awesome! Also I love FPV rc cars!!!

octacian

GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

Re: Does adding more nodes....

by octacian » Fri Feb 03, 2017 15:31

Well, of course, if you add a huge amount of stuff to the game it will take more resources. However, with Minetest RAM is not really an issue, unless you are keeping a huge number of chunks rendered (i.e. you have viewing range set to a high setting).

What Minetest really uses, is CPU. If you have a GPU (Graphics Card) on the other hand, Minetest will use that rather than hogging your CPU. I've found that with mods like Dream Builder, I can get a max of 20FPS on CPU, and 60CFPS when I have my GPU enabled.

So yes, Minetest will take extra resources, but not really RAM. If you are considering upgrading anything, either get a GPU or upgrade your CPU. The FPS I stated above when on CPU, was on my computer with an 8 core Intel Core i7 CPU @ 3.40GHz. With that in mind, what Minetest really needs for the client computer to run fast is a reasonably good GPU at its disposal. Personally, I have a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 750Ti with 2GB of VRAM. It cost me $180 CDN (plus tax). I find it can hold up to 60FPS unless there are a ton of particles.

And, on the server side. The server will require more RAM mostly depending on the number of players. However, with extra mods, the server has to do a lot more work. However, like on the client, what really matters is the CPU. I ran a server on 3GB of RAM once with quite a few mods (one that introduced over 70 nodes), and Minetest never used more than 1GB of RAM even when I had 2-5 players on the server. However, the server did have a reasonable CPU.

Anyways, I hope the above answers your question.
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, Interchangeable Hands

Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

Joseph13

In-game: Joseph

by Joseph13 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 15:49

octacian wrote:Well, of course, if you add a huge amount of stuff to the game it will take more resources. However, with Minetest RAM is not really an issue, unless you are keeping a huge number of chunks rendered (i.e. you have viewing range set to a high setting).

What Minetest really uses, is CPU. If you have a GPU (Graphics Card) on the other hand, Minetest will use that rather than hogging your CPU. I've found that with mods like Dream Builder, I can get a max of 20FPS on CPU, and 60CFPS when I have my GPU enabled.

So yes, Minetest will take extra resources, but not really RAM. If you are considering upgrading anything, either get a GPU or upgrade your CPU. The FPS I stated above when on CPU, was on my computer with an 8 core Intel Core i7 CPU @ 3.40GHz. With that in mind, what Minetest really needs for the client computer to run fast is a reasonably good GPU at its disposal. Personally, I have a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 750Ti with 2GB of VRAM. It cost me $180 CDN (plus tax). I find it can hold up to 60FPS unless there are a ton of particles.

And, on the server side. The server will require more RAM mostly depending on the number of players. However, with extra mods, the server has to do a lot more work. However, like on the client, what really matters is the CPU. I ran a server on 3GB of RAM once with quite a few mods (one that introduced over 70 nodes), and Minetest never used more than 1GB of RAM even when I had 2-5 players on the server. However, the server did have a reasonable CPU.

Anyways, I hope the above answers your question.

Thx a lot! I have over 100+ mods on my server with an unbelievable amount of nodes installed. The server computer has 4 gigs of RAM and a tiny cpu and non functional graphics card. It runs the cmd server just fine. But how do I change wether MT uses cpu or gpu?
I love Hobby Drones! They are awesome! Also I love FPV rc cars!!!

burli

by burli » Fri Feb 03, 2017 16:01

Simple nodes like dirt don't need more CPU resources, even if you have 1000 of them.

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri

by Byakuren » Sun Feb 05, 2017 09:09

Could you try to fit a full question in your topic title next time? Something like "Does adding more nodes reduce performance?"
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

red-001

GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

by red-001 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 14:39

Are you running a server or is this singleplayer?

ErrorNull

by ErrorNull » Fri Feb 10, 2017 04:34

Byakuren wrote:Could you try to fit a full question in your topic title next time? Something like "Does adding more nodes reduce performance?"

+1

Return to Minetest General