PVP Preferences feedback please

QwertyDragon

GitHub: QwertyDragon
IRC: QwertyDragon
In-game: QwertyDragon LittleBigBunny

PVP Preferences feedback please

by QwertyDragon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 20:31

What are your thoughts and preferences for game play on a pvp non-creative server?

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
#    Enable to disallow old clients from connecting.
#    Older clients are compatible in the sense that they will not crash when connecting
#    to new servers, but they may not support all new features that you are expecting.
#    type: bool
strict_protocol_version_checking = true

Is there anyone using this to only let people use the same client version as the server version you are running? Is there any real need to? Like are there exploits other than maybe being able to stay underwater with out losing breath? Are there some that can gain things like noclip using ancient clients? Or is this not an issue?

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
#    Defines the maximal player transfer distance in blocks (0 = unlimited).
#    type: int
player_transfer_distance = 1

Well, I have heard that some really don't like unlimited ability to see every players location, but are there any who like it, and why?

##
#The following lines can be added to your minetest.conf file to configure specific features of the mod:protector
#
protector_radius = 5
# Sets the area around each protection node so that other players cannot dig, place or enter through protected doors or chests.
#
protector_pvp = true
# true or false this setting disabled pvp inside of protected areas for all players apart from those listed on the protector node.
#
protector_spawn = 10
# Protect an area 10 nodes around static spawnpoint.
#
#protector_drop = true
# When true players who dig inside a protected area will automatically drop tools to stop them going any further.
#
protector_hurt = 2
# When set to above 0, players digging in protected areas will be hurt by 2 health points (or whichever number it's set to)
#
#protector_flip = true
# When true players who dig inside a protected area will flipped around to stop them using lag to grief into someone else's build
##

I like using this to protect yourself from taking damage on your own turf, but have noticed that it seems that no one notices that they are taking damage and dying every time they attack me, without my even retaliating. But as a way to attack a player on protected ground (so they would not be too invincible) I installed the bow mod, which bypasses the protection and lets you attack without hurting yourself.

What issues or preferences do you have as a player, looking for a pvp server to play on?

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: PVP Preferences feedback please

by Krock » Sun Apr 02, 2017 15:55

QwertyDragon wrote:Well, I have heard that some really don't like unlimited ability to see every players location, but are there any who like it, and why?

It is useful for PvP servers, where the players shouldn't see the others to any time. Only showing players that are near to you makes it easier to excape from "the bad guys" (or police). It is used quite often, check out http://servers.minetest.net/. All servers with the "Far" flag allow unlimited sight for players, the others have a limit.
A nice side effect is that there are less objects to handle (move, draw) and thus slightly better performance.

Blue text looks somewhat strange.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Return to Minetest General