Github for Windows!

Switch5681

Github for Windows!

by Switch5681 » Tue May 22, 2012 14:29

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/05/hands-on-github-for-windows-takes-the-pain-out-of-using-git/

Just read about this. I might have to check it out. Thought I'd share since we have a bit of stuff on github

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Tue May 22, 2012 18:43

Meh... this doesn't solve compiling still being a PITA. Also I hate Metro-style interfaces (Windows 8 will suck... trust me).

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Tue May 22, 2012 18:52

Calinou wrote:Meh... this doesn't solve compiling still being a PITA. Also I hate Metro-style interfaces (Windows 8 will suck... trust me).

TELL ME ABOUT IT.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Tue May 22, 2012 20:47

Windows 8 will Not suck :P and I've heard Windows computers are the best for gaming

Calinou

by Calinou » Tue May 22, 2012 20:50

LolManKuba wrote:Windows 8 will Not suck :P and I've heard Windows computers are the best for gaming

That's because the graphic card manufacturers (especially AMD) don't care about Linux drivers. Plus, Windows 8 will be even more closed, bloated and "today's-internet-dude" than Windows 7.

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Tue May 22, 2012 20:52

Ehh whatever by the way isn't some Linux OS free? And I know you know this but you need to buy a windows or mac to get Linux :P

JSonic

by JSonic » Wed May 23, 2012 04:50

LolManKuba wrote:And I know you know this but you need to buy a windows or mac to get Linux :P

Why? There's no reason for this. For example, if you have no operating system in your new computer, you do not have to buy windows to get Linux, you can go to your friend, a library, (maybe a netcafe) to download Linux and make installation CD, DVD, BD, USB stick etc.

Sorry for offtopic.
Stairs are cool!
Minetest-c55 for Puppy Linux
Minetest-c55 PPA: daily, stable

Switch5681

by Switch5681 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:40

So, I didn't start this thread to start a flame war.

I'm primarily a Windows guy, however I love Ubuntu and use it occasionally to fix problems with Windows systems.

Compiling minetest in windows has always been a little difficult. Has anyone made an effort to design a more intiutive compiler to work with linux software? Maybe there's a market out there for that? :) I would imagine this sort of issue came up when a great project was written in .net and suddenly the mono project started?

I think there will be good and bad things with Windows 8. Microsoft has said from the get-go that Windows 8 will support anything that works in Windows 7. Windows 8 is introducing a smartphone-style paradigm for app control IE, starting/stopping/hibernating background apps. It will be very interesting to see how this is leveraged by developers.

I will be the first to say that the Metro style is very much "this is what focus groups tell us smartphone users want." I'm not a big fan of it, but it's the way Microsoft is pushing the system. I believe I read somewhere that the Metro portion can be disabled with a registry hack, so at least there's that. I'm a huge fan of the ribbonized explorer interface and the new file operations dialogues.

As for needing to buy a windows or mac to get Linux, this is completely false. I know for a fact that Dell is selling PC's with Linux on them and I'm sure there are a few other manufacturers out there as well. There's always the option of buying your own parts. It sounds a little scary for your average consumer, but anyone with internet access can go find instructions online to not only build a PC, but also what parts to buy. Companies like Newegg even sell bundles with everything you need to put a system together.

I think the only thing Linux needs is for the national/world community to rally behind one consumer-friendly distro and market the hell out of it.

Calinou

by Calinou » Wed May 23, 2012 15:36

Compiling in Linux is generally easy compared to Windows...

cosarara97

by cosarara97 » Wed May 23, 2012 18:25

Calinou wrote:Compiling in Linux is generally easy compared to Windows...

Except when the code has errors or is outdated :)
But yes, compiling programs in Linux is usually very easy, because we have lots of libraries in the repositories and you can usually compile everything with 2/3 commands...
:D

NakedFury

by NakedFury » Wed May 23, 2012 22:05

Switch5681 wrote:As for needing to buy a windows or mac to get Linux, this is completely false. I know for a fact that Dell is selling PC's with Linux on them and I'm sure there are a few other manufacturers out there as well. There's always the option of buying your own parts. It sounds a little scary for your average consumer, but anyone with internet access can go find instructions online to not only build a PC, but also what parts to buy. Companies like Newegg even sell bundles with everything you need to put a system together.

I think the only thing Linux needs is for the national/world community to rally behind one consumer-friendly distro and market the hell out of it.

I think he meant since you can't find or buy linux in a disc and the only way to initially get it is by downloading it you would need a windows or mac pc.

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Wed May 23, 2012 23:28

Some Linux distros also offer to send you discs in the mail, sometimes for free. Ready-to-install copies of Ubuntu can be had for 5 British Pounds plus shipping for a pack of five, with the idea being that you can hand copies (or the originals) out to others as much as you want.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

Switch5681

by Switch5681 » Thu May 24, 2012 00:08

NakedFury wrote:I think he meant since you can't find or buy linux in a disc and the only way to initially get it is by downloading it you would need a windows or mac pc.

Ah. Ok, I can see that to a certain extent. You can always ask a friend to download you a copy?

So, as part of the mass marketing campaign we need lots of installer disks/flash drives :D

Return to Minetest General