Server testing.

ThAxUnforgiven

Server testing.

by ThAxUnforgiven » Sat Jul 14, 2012 21:45

can someone connect to my server or tell me if they can't?
address: 75.178.24.174
port: 80

RedWolf

by RedWolf » Sat Jul 14, 2012 21:55

not working for me

ThAxUnforgiven

by ThAxUnforgiven » Sat Jul 14, 2012 22:01

try now

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 23:25

ThAxUnforgiven wrote:try now

Nope, won't connect for me.

ThAxUnforgiven

by ThAxUnforgiven » Sun Jul 15, 2012 00:31

i had it turned off. all i did was start a local server on my port and thats my lan ip(or whatever) and started it. i dunno if it works like that.

InfinityProject

by InfinityProject » Sun Jul 15, 2012 01:46

No

ThAxUnforgiven

by ThAxUnforgiven » Sun Jul 15, 2012 03:49

o well, im done trying to get a server up, no one wants to help or give instructions so why bother? can someone close this?

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:47

ThAxUnforgiven wrote:o well, im done trying to get a server up, no one wants to help or give instructions so why bother? can someone close this?

That's odd. I wrote a reply to you yesterday and either I didn't click save or someone deleted it. Anyway have you read/viewed all of the following?

http://wiki.minetest.com/wiki/Servers
http://wiki.minetest.com/wiki/Setting_up_a_server
http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1037
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZFysVkTxAc

RabbiBob wrote:
1. Start the server on a port (set in minetest.conf as port = ####)
2. Find the internal LAN IP of the computer the you are running the server on (example: 192.168.1.100)
3. Use port forwarding from the router to forward port #### to the internal LAN IP
3.a If any firewalls are present, they must allow the port to pass traffic as well.
4. Let your friends know what your internet IP is (you can find this by looking at your router's status page or go to a site such as whatismyip.com).

The biggest trouble you will run into is this:
>3.a. If any firewalls are present, they must allow the port to pass traffic as well.

and this:
>>>3. Use port forwarding from the router to forward port #### to the internal LAN IP
>>So, you assume that we all know how to forward ports. Why not give a simple explanation, for the people that don't >>know how (and probably came here because the wiki doesn't say how either)
>I mean no disrespect, but I believe the actual assumption is that you're smart enough to use Google to find instructions for >port forwarding. Like Sfan5 said, it's different for each router. The simple explanation is "Use port forwarding"

Like I was trying to say before setting up a Minetest server is a difficult business. That's why if you don't have extremely specific questions, most of the experts (I'm not one) are going to think you are floundering around and it will be a tremendous amount of work to help you. You kind of need to show them you have really done your homework and if they lend you a hand they aren't going to get pulled into a big hole of questions. At this point you are still asking very general questions that show you are still grasping at straws (Like I would be).

TheLoLMan

by TheLoLMan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:43

I am open the serve beacuse i dont know

ThAxUnforgiven

by ThAxUnforgiven » Sun Jul 15, 2012 17:50

Neuromancer wrote:
ThAxUnforgiven wrote:o well, im done trying to get a server up, no one wants to help or give instructions so why bother? can someone close this?

That's odd. I wrote a reply to you yesterday and either I didn't click save or someone deleted it. Anyway have you read/viewed all of the following?

http://wiki.minetest.com/wiki/Servers
http://wiki.minetest.com/wiki/Setting_up_a_server
http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1037
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZFysVkTxAc

RabbiBob wrote:
1. Start the server on a port (set in minetest.conf as port = ####)
2. Find the internal LAN IP of the computer the you are running the server on (example: 192.168.1.100)
3. Use port forwarding from the router to forward port #### to the internal LAN IP
3.a If any firewalls are present, they must allow the port to pass traffic as well.
4. Let your friends know what your internet IP is (you can find this by looking at your router's status page or go to a site such as whatismyip.com).

The biggest trouble you will run into is this:
>3.a. If any firewalls are present, they must allow the port to pass traffic as well.

and this:
>>>3. Use port forwarding from the router to forward port #### to the internal LAN IP
>>So, you assume that we all know how to forward ports. Why not give a simple explanation, for the people that don't >>know how (and probably came here because the wiki doesn't say how either)
>I mean no disrespect, but I believe the actual assumption is that you're smart enough to use Google to find instructions for >port forwarding. Like Sfan5 said, it's different for each router. The simple explanation is "Use port forwarding"

Like I was trying to say before setting up a Minetest server is a difficult business. That's why if you don't have extremely specific questions, most of the experts (I'm not one) are going to think you are floundering around and it will be a tremendous amount of work to help you. You kind of need to show them you have really done your homework and if they lend you a hand they aren't going to get pulled into a big hole of questions. At this point you are still asking very general questions that show you are still grasping at straws (Like I would be).

ive read all of it and dont get it, a voiced tutorial or atleast a good one would b better, not the youtube one.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 18:09

ThAxUnforgiven wrote:ive read all of it and dont get it, a voiced tutorial or atleast a good one would b better, not the youtube one.
I agree, but kudos to the guy who did create the video. Everything helps. I just wanted to create a server behind my firewall, so I could play multiplayer at home but gave up as it looked like it might be too involved as well. Did you have any luck doing that?

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Sun Jul 15, 2012 18:44

Neuromancer: you can have a home one, just as long as no=one knows of your GLOBAL IP.

Otherwise, A LAN server if safe.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

Keegan

by Keegan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 19:43

Jordach wrote:Neuromancer: you can have a home one, just as long as no=one knows of your GLOBAL IP.

Otherwise, A LAN server if safe.

how do you do a lan server
Owner of Keegan's server address>66.227.221.69:30000<port

ThAxUnforgiven

by ThAxUnforgiven » Sun Jul 15, 2012 20:33

cant i just host a server on my port without forwarding my port

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 20:55

I think, it is where you use the ''advanced'' tab to start a server, leave the addresse blank and then anyone on your LAN can play there (ex. a sibling playing on a different computer can connect, but a griefer like LANDMOON or someone not connected to the private network can't get in)
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 20:57

Also, you have to forward port 30000 to your router for it to work worldwide (have fun with that, none of the server owners want people like you to host better servers, so they won't let anyone make a guide on how to forward your port)
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

ThAxUnforgiven

by ThAxUnforgiven » Sun Jul 15, 2012 22:45

SegFault22 wrote:Also, you have to forward port 30000 to your router for it to work worldwide (have fun with that, none of the server owners want people like you to host better servers, so they won't let anyone make a guide on how to forward your port)

a better server? REALLY =/? if their afraid of that then their servers must not be very good, huh? i think its pitiful that a community forum for HELPING cant even help someone who is in need. i just want to make maps, play custom maps and other things with friends and community members. and maybe even make videos(most probably so) with subscribers and YouTube commentators. But whatever, all i can say is that i'm going to try to forward my ports and put EXTRA effort into the most mods and no lag server ever made(exaggerated alot). I hope all the people i asked and didn't get a response burn in a place worse than the earths core!!(your server of course....also)

Liandri

by Liandri » Mon Jul 16, 2012 00:14

For those who want to be a little god in their little own world... erm, I mean, for those who want to create a server, keep this in mind...

If you don't understand what port-forward is, if don't know even what is a port, if you don't know the difference (or mere existence) between your internal and external ip, you are not prepared to make a server.

Port forwarding requires direct access to the router, some kids could have trouble with this.

A lag-free server requires fast upload speed, most home connections can't do the work.

A non 24/7 server is not worth.

Every model of router has different setup screens, every router is different from the others. A customiced video-tutorial of every model could be a hard task :P

Seriously, don't complain if you are not getting help, the wiki it's not perfect but it's clear. You are doing very general questions, Neuromancer has added links and briefly explained, even the keywords to search in google "Use port forwarding", but it's not enough, you do need a video, I don't want to sound harsh but reading 50 times the same questions about server creation when it has been explained 50 times by 50 community members, is a bit...

boring... xD

ThAxUnforgiven

by ThAxUnforgiven » Mon Jul 16, 2012 00:40

i understand almost everything they say when they explain making a server, i just dont want to port forward! i just want to make one on my port(80) for people around me(neighborhood-city)

Liandri

by Liandri » Mon Jul 16, 2012 01:11

Then you must forward that port to your computer, period. This is almost to tell the router "Hi router, port 80 is open to the public, ok?", if you don't forward that port your router ignores connections to that port.

Port 80 is the default http protocol port, some ISP may block this.

Menche

by Menche » Mon Jul 16, 2012 02:48

If you don't want to port-forward, you can use a VPN like remobo.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 22:39

SegFault22 wrote:I think, it is where you use the ''advanced'' tab to start a server, leave the addresse blank and then anyone on your LAN can play there (ex. a sibling playing on a different computer can connect, but a griefer like LANDMOON or someone not connected to the private network can't get in)

Thanks. This worked and we're having a blast!

Return to Minetest General