About scripting support

celeron55

About scripting support

by celeron55 » Sat May 14, 2011 18:25

I have considered many options and have come up that I will very probably implement scripting support to the game as the next notable improvement.

I believe there is a lot of potential game content to be made by the community that cannot be made without scripting.

I would like to hear what kinds of things people would first like to make or modify with scripts. This will help me shape the upcoming API.

Fishkilleur

by Fishkilleur » Sat May 14, 2011 22:24

Able to make a minimap, can add new items and blocks, can change the spawn, can add bots…

psyco001

by psyco001 » Sat May 14, 2011 23:29

when i see mini-map then i think it would be good to get a simple scriptable gui system

celeron55

by celeron55 » Sun May 15, 2011 06:35

I deleted adiblol's reply because I didn't ask for stupid quidelines for doing the thing, I asked about what people would do with it.

There exists already a separate thread for game ideas.

celeron55

by celeron55 » Sun May 15, 2011 06:41

Is not anyone interested in creating mobs, for example?

nolimit

by nolimit » Mon May 16, 2011 08:49

I would like to script craftings and items like a water pump system or doors or a mine wagon.
I'm more interested in build stuff.

GardenGnomer

by GardenGnomer » Sun May 22, 2011 09:45

Hi! Great work you've done, and great to see you're from Finland!

What I would do with scripts:

Create mobs, off course

Script triggered messages and effects for quests, special equipment and NPCs.

Give the players spells and special abilities.

Make traps and puzzles.

Tie-in third part open source code like conversation AIs, civ/strategy simulators.

Mess with the UI (not that interesting).

Create multi-block monsters.

Script faraway actions of evil bosses that influence the players.

Create unique items, mobs and blocks.

Implement special combat moves or other actions.

titformatt

by titformatt » Mon May 23, 2011 22:59

Might be worth looking at this thread before making anymore posts here...

Scripting discontinued

celeron55

by celeron55 » Tue May 24, 2011 16:29

That thread is older, but currently I am not sure anymore if scripting will be supported.

This is because there now are two people developing the game, which largely helps creating content. Also, we have figured out that if somebody can't properly code C++, they probably couldn't make anything useful using scripts either.

Evrim

by Evrim » Tue May 24, 2011 17:47

I'd like to see entity modelling and custom blocks shapes

Also ability to add tols

psyco001

by psyco001 » Wed May 25, 2011 17:42

celeron55 wrote:That thread is older, but currently I am not sure anymore if scripting will be supported.

This is because there now are two people developing the game, which largely helps creating content. Also, we have figured out that if somebody can't properly code C++, they probably couldn't make anything useful using scripts either.

you should know, even if there are people that don't know how to programm with c/c++ there are much game designers or graphics artists that are learning c script or lua only to give their scenes a bit more functionality. artists learning at a school here in germany using the unreal engine for modelling scenes and smal games and learns lua to give that games or scenes dynamic, but they're not learning how to programm or using that knowledge too code in e.g. c/c++

there are much more people out there that can help in content creation with lua than helping to develop in c/c++

darkhog

by darkhog » Sat May 28, 2011 13:50

Psyco got the point. I myself never could understand c++ syntax, but I feel great with python, lua or basic. Also I'd do things like hangglider or even plane/helicopter.

celeron55

by celeron55 » Sat May 28, 2011 19:48

I am actually still considering this... stay tuned. 8-)

Nocte

by Nocte » Tue May 31, 2011 11:33

That's great news! :D

I'm developing a blocky game engine myself, and I'm very excited about the possibilities of Lua scripting. Having it in Minetest would be just awesome. I'd like to share some of my ideas with you, hoping you'll find some of them useful.

Let's first answer the question from the opening post: I'd like to build turrets that shoot mobs that get too close. I want to hook functions to an NPC, so he talks to players that approach him. If he takes damage, it would be great if I could hook that as well to make nearby mobs turn hostile. I want to build a button or a pressure plate that also works with double doors. Secret bridges that materialize under a player's feet. Landmines you can hide under a block of grass or sand. Decorations.

Have a look at this draft, perhaps this illustrates the idea better. The core engine won't have fences or doors, but you can define them completely through scripts. Yes, this means you'll have to build your own fence models out of 1:16 mini-voxels, overload the "on_place" hook, and look at the neighboring blocks to decide if you need to swap them out for different models so they connect properly. But with the same functions, you can also build doors, stairs, oil lamps, window shutters, a door bell, ...

Let me know if you're interested in coordinating our efforts in some way. :)

Return to Minetest General