Cool tricks I found

ashenk69

Cool tricks I found

by ashenk69 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 18:12

I'll put up pictures later of these as right now I am away from my computer.

Traveling from y=0 to y= -300 in a few seconds with no mods other than default:
By digging straight down with a 2X1 pattern I fill one side by placing ladders and the other I leave empty until I reach a level I want to reach and then I place a water source block and a torch underneath. This allows you to travel to a certain level but still fairly quickly. Since torches are not walkable, you won't be damaged and the water will stop you. I haven't come up with a good way for going up other than ladders.

Sapling Generator:
Requires Technic and Mesecons
Place a MK Constructor and a Node Breaker both facing each other with one block in between, harvest some leaves from the surrounding trees, craft some Blinking Plants from the Mesecons mod, add the leaves to the Constructor, and finally place one Blinking Plant next to the Constructor and Node Breaker. Now you have a sapling generator. I would suggest not activating this on a server as it is fairly slow. I haven't that but I imagine it would. Also, make sure to place the plant next to the constructor first so that way it places the leaves before the Node Breaker activates.

Automatic Harvester:
Requires Technic, Mesecons, and Farming
A lot like the sapling generator but it requires a lot more node breakers. Build a crop in a straight line with water along the side. Then place the Node Breakers on top of the water with mesecon laid on top of the Breakers. Finally, add a button on the end of the mesecon line and now you can harvest a whole line of crops instantly.

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: Cool tricks I found

by ABJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 15:50

Wow :D

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 17:34

You can go up fast using elevators:

It was originally a bug, but kept as people like it. Walk up to one, in the corner, and press and hold shift and space.

ABJ

by ABJ » Fri Apr 03, 2015 03:44

Wow nice gonna try this :D and is that a texture pack? If so, what? The blocks look cool

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Fri Apr 03, 2015 09:55

ABJ wrote:Wow nice gonna try this :D and is that a texture pack? If so, what? The blocks look cool

This is Misa's texture pack.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:04

Instead of using ladders in your dig down method, you could use water to save resources (only place one at top of hole, no need for any more sources) may not be faster.

On the elevator, the most import thing are the holes. You can dig it out in the corner of a 2x1 hole by alternating between a hole in front and a hole in the side.

ABJ

by ABJ » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:16

Here's my lift :D

ABJ

by ABJ » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:21

rubenwardy wrote:Instead of using ladders in your dig down method, you could use water to save resources (only place one at top of hole, no need for any more sources) may not be faster.

On the elevator, the most import thing are the holes. You can dig it out in the corner of a 2x1 hole by alternating between a hole in front and a hole in the side.

-Well you'll have to dig a 2x1 hole to do water but that's nothing compared to making mineshafts :D
-But off course if you aren't careful you can fall off when going down and maybe not figure out how to get out fast enough. And also if there was an ore in the wrong place....................:v :D

ABJ

by ABJ » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:27

rubenwardy wrote:Image

By the way, rubenwardy, what's that tower and that other thingy of which only a part can be seen? They look real nice :thumbup: :)
And also is that a sign and is "SIGN!" written by you or is it the texture?

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:35

I got that image by googling minetest elevator.

It is from the Linux gaming server's topic: viewtopic.php?id=5684
See the sneak elevator spoiler towards the end of the first post.
Note: please don't just bump that server topic if the server has closed down, it's two years old.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:45

ABJ wrote:And also is that a sign and is "SIGN!" written by you or is it the texture?

The texture has “SIGN!” written on it, it's not done by the screenshot author or a mod.

ABJ

by ABJ » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:55

Calinou wrote:The texture has “SIGN!” written on it, it's not done by the screenshot author or a mod.

Oh. Too bad. Disappointment.

EDIT:But it's funny though :D

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Sun Apr 05, 2015 19:10

Minetest.conf setting file has a gui_scaling=1.0 setting that allows you to customise the size of formspecs and hotbar;

however by adding hud_scaling=1.0 to the Minetest.conf setting file you can scale formspecs and hotbar seperately.

Its not so much a cool trick but more like an unadvertised option :)

ABJ

by ABJ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:24

Napiophelios wrote:Minetest.conf setting file has a gui_scaling=1.0 setting that allows you to customise the size of formspecs and hotbar;

however by adding hud_scaling=1.0 to the Minetest.conf setting file you can scale formspecs and hotbar seperately.

LOL :D well it's amazing what setting programmers can change that no ordinary player can change :D
That said, I am not an ordinary player also but I just am doing other things :D

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 13:12

Digging a 1x1 hole straight down is very effective compared to minecraft because:
-most minetest servers don't make you drop your items when you die
-minetest is taller, so you don't hit bedrock
-mining is faster in minetest
-sneak elevators
-seemingly less lava caves?

Anyway:

-you can climb up a 2 block high ledge by holding shift and jumping in the right place
-you can make a "half sneak elevator" (dig out every other block on only one side), but they are harder to use, and slow.
-if you do this:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
▓▀▀▀
▓ ▒
▓█   
▓▓▓▓   

and hold shift and jump onto the ledge, you can jump through the upside down slabs.
▒=bottom half of player
█=full block required
▀=upside down slab
▓=optional

And... last but not least...

If you are on a server, and disconnect from the internet (but don't exit the server), you can go anywhere (by breaking blocks in protected areas (client side), and then walking through.) Then reconnect to the internet, and the blocks will be replaced by the server, but you will still be where you went.

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Mon Apr 06, 2015 13:32

ABJ wrote:
Napiophelios wrote:Minetest.conf setting file has a gui_scaling=1.0 setting that allows you to customise the size of formspecs and hotbar;

LOL :D well it's amazing what setting programmers can change that no ordinary player can change :D
That said, I am not an ordinary player also but I just am doing other things :D

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this :(
you just add it to the settings file in your minetest root folder.

LazerRay

GitHub: LazerRay

by LazerRay » Tue Apr 07, 2015 14:30

I know a nice trick when you combine More Blocks with any mod that allows you to turn logs into fuel (charcoal or coal).

You can get 8 times the fuel output by breaking the log up into their micro-blocks before putting them into the furnace. The trick works since the mods that convert logs into fuel use their group instead of just the one block and all the slopes and micro-blocks are part of the same group.

The manual method works by:
1. Taking three logs and crafting slabs out of them
2. Toss the slabs back into your crafting grid and make the micro-blocks
3. Cook them in the furnace for 8 units of fuel.

If you have the Table Saw ready, you can just put the logs in it and pull out the micro-blocks before making the fuel.

I use this trick a lot when I need to make a lot of torches or smelt a bunch of stuff. (I tend to keep a stock pile of fuel near my furnaces for when I need it)

ABJ

by ABJ » Tue Apr 07, 2015 17:24

LazerRay wrote:I know a nice trick when you combine More Blocks with any mod that allows you to turn logs into fuel (charcoal or coal).

You can get 8 times the fuel output by breaking the log up into their micro-blocks before putting them into the furnace. The trick works since the mods that convert logs into fuel use their group instead of just the one block and all the slopes and micro-blocks are part of the same group.

The manual method works by:
1. Taking three logs and crafting slabs out of them
2. Toss the slabs back into your crafting grid and make the micro-blocks
3. Cook them in the furnace for 8 units of fuel.

If you have the Table Saw ready, you can just put the logs in it and pull out the micro-blocks before making the fuel.

I use this trick a lot when I need to make a lot of torches or smelt a bunch of stuff. (I tend to keep a stock pile of fuel near my furnaces for when I need it)

Wow thx man. By the way do stairs work?

LazerRay

by LazerRay » Wed Apr 08, 2015 14:39

I haven't tested stairs, I mainly use the micro-blocks for making fuel since I get more out of them.

As a side note about this trick, it is also fairly realistic since the charcoal plants break down large chunks of wood before the charring proses.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 14:53

LazerRay wrote:I haven't tested stairs, I mainly use the micro-blocks for making fuel since I get more out of them.

As a side note about this trick, it is also fairly realistic since the charcoal plants break down large chunks of wood before the charring proses.

I wonder if the thin slabs would be more effective...

LazerRay

by LazerRay » Wed Apr 08, 2015 19:29

You get the same amount of thin blocks as you do on the standard micro-blocks, the only difference is the look and that you can't turn the thin panels back into full blocks.

I use the table saw quite a bit any time I need to break blocks down to smaller versions (this includes making fuel) or to make parts for slopes.

cx384

GitHub: cx384
IRC: cx384

by cx384 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 17:22

This is my elevator.
This is how it works.
Can your read this?

ABJ

by ABJ » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:13

That's awesome man :thumbup:

LazerRay

by LazerRay » Mon Apr 27, 2015 15:05

I came up with an interesting use for the HomeDecor curtain rods, I rotated them on their sides and have them next to ladders to act as guard rails (I get annoyed when I hit the "A" or "D" keys while on ladders and fall off of them).

ABJ

by ABJ » Mon Apr 27, 2015 16:27

Cool. But thats for open ladders :
still pretty nice i guess, Homedecors got a lot of things with alt use :D

LazerRay

by LazerRay » Mon Apr 27, 2015 20:50

I tend to have my ladders in the middle of large rooms, on the wall, and connecting to all floors (the corners tend to be taken up with other things), I even use another tick with them and the scaffold mod.

Instead of trap doors, I use the wooden scaffold (since you can climb through them) to fill the gap in a floor where my ladders are for a continuous line without having to flip open/close trap doors.

Look in the spoiler for an example of the "Silent Trap Door"

+ Spoiler
Last edited by LazerRay on Wed Apr 29, 2015 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

ABJ

by ABJ » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:38

Scaffold mod? WAITIGOTTACHECKTHISOUT (High tails off)

lightonflux

In-game: lof

by lightonflux » Tue Apr 28, 2015 18:42

Mod review by nathan: Scaffolding

ABJ

by ABJ » Wed May 13, 2015 13:55

You can use 2x less ladders and still climb! Just place ladders with a 1 node spacing :D

Return to Minetest General