Protections++,Fun--

LorenzoVulcan

Protections++,Fun--

by LorenzoVulcan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 13:56

Are you really sure to make it happen?

Actually,99.9999% of minetest servers have got anti-grief and anti-pvp protections.This will make minetest become like minecraft,with obquitious protections and unfree servers.

Infiniminer-like games are sandbox games,where you can build but you can destroy,rebuild,conquer and pwn.Those are not legos.

Grief is not more than a PVP form that makes group of players fight for territories and resources.I think it will be fun to do it in minetest,with all the mods we have.

I think this obsession of in-game protections and grief makes fun disappear.
Developer of the BlockForge 2# Project!
Official thread: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=54290#p54290

BrandonReese

GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Wed Dec 12, 2012 16:04

I agree with you, but when you have a massive world, and maybe a half dozen or a dozen people online it's not possible to stop griefers. There aren't enough people online to defend a territory, not to mention somebody can log on and destroy your hard work while you sleep. Maybe there needs to be some kind of in between full protection where only you can build in an area, and fully open where people can come on any time and break your stuff.

LorenzoVulcan

by LorenzoVulcan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 16:08

BrandonReese wrote:I agree with you, but when you have a massive world, and maybe a half dozen or a dozen people online it's not possible to stop griefers. There aren't enough people online to defend a territory, not to mention somebody can log on and destroy your hard work while you sleep. Maybe there needs to be some kind of in between full protection where only you can build in an area, and fully open where people can come on any time and break your stuff.

There are many mods when you craft a protection block.If you can't protect your house,you must hide it until you can craft something.I think protections must be earned like every other thing in the game.

NakedFury

by NakedFury » Thu Dec 13, 2012 03:23

LorenzoVulcan I do agree about the protection and the sandbox game type but when you build something and someone wants to destroy it just to mess with you it hurts a little.

Also I would like to have a chance to kill that player before he can destroy my home or structure, a chance to protect it. Not all players play from the same part of the world so the protection comes for that.

Maybe a special protection for when you are not online but as soon as you do the protection goes off?

LorenzoVulcan

by LorenzoVulcan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 06:47

NakedFury wrote:Maybe a special protection for when you are not online but as soon as you do the protection goes off?

That's exactly what i mean.
If you are online,you must protect your house and react to the attack.If you're in a team it's easier and building a far base from the spawn will really help.

xmagicx60

by xmagicx60 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 18:29

This is the issue with all sandbox games of this sort.

Online time

If the user is always online, its all fun and good if someone tries to raid him, and strength is in numbers.

However

When the user is capable of going offline, no one can trust anyone else when they are offline, and therefore everyone moves far from everyone else, therby eliminating the division of labor and a key point of economics and also ruins the point of multiplayer, everyone seeing/collaborating with lots of other players.

The trick is to find a balance where users can trust that their items will be relativly safe when they are offline, but can still band together with lots of other players for one purpose and still have fun.

On minecraft, I think the closest thing we have is factions or towny advanced, but even those are too complicated and restrictive.

Sooo....
Discuss.

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Fri Dec 14, 2012 19:10

As long as theres buttholes who sneak around when nobody is around just to destroy things for their jollies, protections of some sort are needed.

I've seen it time and again that someone spends hours on a structure then while they are offline or afk someone comes along and destroys all their work. It's much easier to destroy than it is to build.

However on a side note, a future project of mine is a "no rules free for all" minetest server to see how it turns out.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Fri Dec 14, 2012 20:00

RAPHAEL wrote:As long as theres buttholes who sneak around when nobody is around just to destroy things for their jollies, protections of some sort are needed.

I've seen it time and again that someone spends hours on a structure then while they are offline or afk someone comes along and destroys all their work. It's much easier to destroy than it is to build.

My thoughts exactly, I just couldn't put it into words.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 20:07

One unfortunate downside of node protection is people dont sprawl out as much, nor are they as inclined to build awesome things in hidden locations.

That and the complexity of administering multiple regions has turned me off simple node protection. Thats why im preferring turrets and NPCs that can shoot lately. It makes defense a game, something you have to plan with finite resources :-)
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

xmagicx60

by xmagicx60 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 00:21

mauvebic wrote:One unfortunate downside of node protection is people dont sprawl out as much, nor are they as inclined to build awesome things in hidden locations.

That and the complexity of administering multiple regions has turned me off simple node protection. Thats why im preferring turrets and NPCs that can shoot lately. It makes defense a game, something you have to plan with finite resources :-)

This is a good idea, done right, this could be very effective.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Sat Dec 15, 2012 00:57

Takes careful planning yeah. First round of testing i had turrets shooting down their own bullets and robots destroying eachother lol

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Sat Dec 15, 2012 04:04

mauvebic wrote:Thats why im preferring turrets and NPCs that can shoot lately. It makes defense a game, something you have to plan with finite resources :-)

+1

I agree that current forms of protections kinda suck. There should be more options. However no NPC will be 100% effective. An intelligent griefer (rare I know) could trap/destroy an NPC if they take the time to look into it.

My personal suggestion is this:
Make a mod that has craftable blocks (not too easy now but not insanely difficult). When crafted you get FOUR protection blocks. Then the player can place those at the corners of their property. The mod should limit the size of protected areas to something reasonable (so people can't own butt loads of land). Also the mod should check for "overlap". The mod should also have some way to help the player ensure they are placing blocks in right places so all corners are 90 degrees. Once the four blocks are placed, it should protect an area up to maybe 20 (or so) blocks above and below the level placed and within the formed square/rectangle.

If such a mod existed then it would be better than what's currently available.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

tux_peng

by tux_peng » Sun Dec 16, 2012 19:50

I'm setting up my server; and considering giving the player 1 extra-large protection block and making them uncraftable. That, along with the fact that users need to register at the server forum to get a code to initially log in, will; I hope provide enough protection, and still encourage other builds
Servers now up (Economy, no PvP) Forum up already! http://tuxcraft.info

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Sun Dec 16, 2012 20:34

mauvebic wrote:One unfortunate downside of node protection is people dont sprawl out as much, nor are they as inclined to build awesome things in hidden locations.

+1000 for that.
Let's convert Minetest into an RTS game.

Zerg Rush! kekekeke
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

NakedFury

by NakedFury » Mon Dec 17, 2012 01:56

Another problem in this game is the player name tag hovering over players.

All suggestions of going far and building deep won't work unless the game stops showing player names through blocks.

The point is, take out that hovering player name tag and all suggestions here will count.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:01

NakedFury wrote:Another problem in this game is the player name tag hovering over players.

All suggestions of going far and building deep won't work unless the game stops showing player names through blocks.

The point is, take out that hovering player name tag and all suggestions here will count.

You can already do this in minetest.conf:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
unlimited_player_transfer_distance = false

This hides players who are far away from you.

LorenzoVulcan

by LorenzoVulcan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 13:08

Calinou wrote:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
unlimited_player_transfer_distance = false

This hides players who are far away from you.

I really needed this.Thanks.

Anyway,the real problem aren't mods but people's ideas that thinks griefing is evil,but it's just a PVP aspect of the game.

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Mon Dec 17, 2012 20:27

LorenzoVulcan wrote:Anyway,the real problem aren't mods but people's ideas that thinks griefing is evil,but it's just a PVP aspect of the game.

No.. it's not. It is something that only retarded/mentally handicapped individuals participate in for jollies. PVP involved various aspects of killing players, not destroying hours upon hours of work for no reason but to be a troll.

The ONLY time that I could see a player destroying another players work is if they both agree it is fine and are doing it for any number of valid reasons. In griefing, the player who gets their stuff destroyed did not give permission.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Mon Dec 17, 2012 20:34

Might sound crazy ~ how about a no-man's-land biome, randomly shaped and spread out throughout the map?

jmf

by jmf » Mon Dec 17, 2012 20:46

The thing is, that there are several kinds of servers.
On some servers, minetest is about the building, if your buildings are griefed several times you
won't try to build beautiful structures any more, but something that can be built
quick, so you don't have to rebuild so much if it is destroyed.
On other servers (there is a grief wars server iirc) it is all about destroying and having
fun playing war games. That's quite nice, but there will unlikely be other buildings than
bunkers and defensive structures that have been built in a few minutes to get a temporary
advantage. This idea is not bad, it might be fun to fight (as seen in Ace of Spades), but if you
really want to make huge, fantastic structures you need to protect them.
My ingame name is "john", my IRC name is "john_minetest".
I am chef mod on this server: minetest.org : 30015(see here)
"I am immune to signature virus." <-- Add this to your signature to gain immunity!!!

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Mon Dec 17, 2012 20:50

From: http://irc.minetest.ru/minetest/2012-12-17#i_2726593
kaeza1 wrote:maybe calculate some "level" based on the items the player has equipped. If the difference between players is > some value, you disable the damage. That way 13375 cannot harm n0085

Nobody responded to me :(
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

Return to Minetest General