Making a better minetest

Josh

Making a better minetest

by Josh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 02:28

Yesterday i was thinking about making minetest better, so here some improvement's, suggestion's ect.
that i came up with:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mob's/Animal's: I do know that mobs and animal's are needed, so what about having 4 animals? The sheep could drop lamb,
the cow could drop beef, the pig could drop some pork and the chicken could lay egg's + drop chicken. For monster's, we really
only need a few to keep the game entertaining, so what about having the dirt, sand and stone monster? The texture's for them
could be easily made by making the 3D player look like it's made out of dirt, sand ect.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NPC's: I figured, that before you start the game you could choose how many NPC's you wan't to play with, you can choose
up to four. And when you choose them the NPC's will look like singleplayer and play the game with/like singleplayer. The NPC's
could build a house mine material's and talk to you, the player. It would be like playing on a server but with NPC's.
More suitable credit's and wording: When you look at the credit's in the menu you do see stuff like: ten more random people.
In my opinion the credit's should be neatly and suitably written.
As for wording, when you exit minetest it say's: shutting down stuff... I think that it should say something like: Returning to menu.
Also, if you look at the wording when you type in captials you can see that some letter's are bigger or smaller than the other,
it would be nice if this could be fixed.
Singleplayer is actually singleplayer: When you are playing singleplayer, you are always on a server. Instead of being on a server
you could just have a simple singleplayer mode where know one can join.
Accounts: It would be good if you could have account's screen where you type in your username and password.
Crafting table: It's not really that bad of an issue but what about using a crafting table?

There are many more things we could do but we will just have to see what happens :)
Last edited by Josh on Thu Dec 13, 2012 02:28, edited 1 time in total.

InfinityProject

by InfinityProject » Thu Dec 13, 2012 02:32

minecraft.net

Josh

by Josh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 02:47

InfinityProject wrote:minecraft.net

Many of them are like minecraft i know. The trouble is that minecraft have all these things, so what can we use?
Minetest is in need of ideas but like i said, we do not want copy minecraft. Im not saying that minetest will and should be minecraft,
im just saying we could take elements of these ideas to improve minetest :)
Last edited by Josh on Thu Dec 13, 2012 02:55, edited 1 time in total.

davidpace

by davidpace » Thu Dec 13, 2012 03:20

Uhhhmmm, Like my Post, With the Animals and Mobs, I like your Idea's though...
Taking a break for a while see ya guys!

In some of my posts I will be putting "Secret" White sentences.. Tell me if you see them!!! :D

Josh

by Josh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 03:29

davidpace wrote:Uhhhmmm, Like my Post, With the Animals and Mobs, I like your Idea's though...

Thanks. It was really hard to come up with fresh ideas. But i think someday minetest will be a better game then minecraft
someday my freind....someday. (We must not give up! we will continue to develop minetest)
Last edited by Josh on Thu Dec 13, 2012 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

davidpace

by davidpace » Thu Dec 13, 2012 03:35

Yes we will :-)

In some of my posts I will be putting "Secret" White sentences.. Tell me if you see them!!! :D

Josh

by Josh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 03:43

davidpace wrote:Yes we will :-)

Of course we will :-)

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:23

Josh wrote:Mob's/Animal's: I do know that mobs and animal's are needed, so what about having 4 animals? The sheep could drop lamb,
the cow could drop beef, the pig could drop some pork and the chicken could lay egg's + drop chicken. For monster's, we really
only need a few to keep the game entertaining, so what about having the dirt, sand and stone monster? The texture's for them
could be easily made by making the 3D player look like it's made out of dirt, sand ect.

I'm not sure having animals is a good thing. It would turn the game into more of a farming-type game, and less of a sandbox.

Monsters would be nice though. Based on his weblog, I think Celeron55 is planing to bring back monsters. They were probably only removed to make the transition to Lua easier, or something along those lines.

Josh wrote:NPC's: I figured, that before you start the game you could choose how many NPC's you wan't to play with, you can choose
up to four. And when you choose them the NPC's will look like singleplayer and play the game with/like singleplayer. The NPC's
could build a house mine material's and talk to you, the player. It would be like playing on a server but with NPC's.

I'm not sure that would add anything to the gameplay, but it probably wouldn't detract from it. As long as the number can be set to zero for people who don't want it, and a non-zero number for those who do, it might be okay.

Josh wrote:More suitable credit's and wording: When you look at the credit's in the menu you do see stuff like: ten more random people.
As for wording, when you exit minetest it say's: shutting down stuff... I think that it should say something like: Returning to menu.
Also, if you look at the wording when you type in captials you can see that some letter's are bigger or smaller than the other,

The game will be cleaned up as it nears completion. I'm sure things such as this will be fixed.

Josh wrote:Singleplayer is actually singleplayer: When you are playing singleplayer, you are always on a server. Instead of being on a server

As far as I know, when you use single player mode, the game doesn't bind to a port. Yes, it's technically running a server, but there is no way for any other user to join you.

Josh wrote:Accounts: It would be good if you could have account's screen where you type in your username and password.

I don't understand what you mean. We DO have a log in page .....

Josh wrote:Crafting table: It's not really that bad of an issue but what about using a crafting table?

Not the worst idea, but certainly not a GOOD idea. One of the great things about Minetest is that you aren't limited to crafting in locations that you have set up a crafting table. If you still want to use crafting tables, the game is highly customizable, and there already exists a plugin for that.

Josh wrote:
davidpace wrote:Uhhhmmm, Like my Post, With the Animals and Mobs, I like your Idea's though...

Thanks. It was really hard to come up with fresh ideas. But i think someday minetest will be a better game then minecraft
someday my freind....someday. (We must not give up! we will continue to develop minetest)

Minetest is ALREADY better, for a number of reasons. No hunger bar, no crafting table, items don't drop and need to be picked up a second time when you mine them, runs faster (on my computer, anyway) ...... the list goes on. If you like Minecraft better, why not play that instead? Admittedly, there are a few things that Minecraft does better, but the list is so short that I can't even think of anything right now.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:40

Josh wrote:Mob's/Animal's: I do know that mobs and animal's are needed, so what about having 4 animals? The sheep could drop lamb,
the cow could drop beef, the pig could drop some pork and the chicken could lay egg's + drop chicken.

I'm not a fan of random farm animals (too Minecraft-y :P), although simple passive mob (like rats there used to be before 0.4) would be OK. Mobs are possible, but the AI stuff (path finding) needs to be made in C++ else it would make Minetest impossible to play on older computers.

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Thu Dec 13, 2012 13:14

Calinou wrote:
the cow could drop beef, the pig could drop some pork and the chicken could lay egg's + drop chicken.

I'm not a fan of random farm animals (too Minecraft-y :P), although simple passive mob (like rats there used to be before 0.4) would be OK. Mobs are possible, but the AI stuff (path finding) needs to be made in C++ else it would make Minetest impossible to play on older computers.

I only partially agree - it would be nice if Minetest developed its own "feel" when it comes to content, but the farm animals makes sense since its so much of a building game. People would quickly want to domesticate wild animals for their farms if there were no premade farm animals.
Which brings up the idea about breeding - you'd have to patiently BREED farm animals out of wild buffalo (or whatever) to get them!

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Thu Dec 13, 2012 16:51

0gb.us wrote:
Josh wrote:Singleplayer is actually singleplayer: When you are playing singleplayer, you are always on a server. Instead of being on a server

As far as I know, when you use single player mode, the game doesn't bind to a port. Yes, it's technically running a server, but there is no way for any other user to join you.

You connect to port 30018, IIRC. But nobody can join that port. Thats why you cant run two singleplayer games at the same time.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 18:34

"simple" ?

With the current structure, it would be very tedious to change the structure.

jordan4ibanez

GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Thu Dec 13, 2012 19:08

Well i wish you could freakin sign in with your minetest.net forum account gosh darnit PLEASE celeron55?
If you can think it, you can make it.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Thu Dec 13, 2012 22:15

PilzAdam wrote:
0gb.us wrote:

You connect to port 30018, IIRC. But nobody can join that port. Thats why you cant run two singleplayer games at the same time.

Hmm? That's very interesting, I had no idea. With the Minetest instance bound to a port, why are others unable to join you? I'll mess (mese?) around with it, and see what I find. Thanks!

jordan4ibanez wrote:Well i wish you could freakin sign in with your minetest.net forum account gosh darnit PLEASE celeron55?

Sign in with your forum account? Really? That would be just awful. That would require a centralized server, that all the other Minetest servers could talk to. It would be expensive, pointless, and would take much of the freedom and independence out of the application. Not to mention the fact that people would need to register a forum account, even if they didn't plan to post anything in the forum ever.

thetoon

by thetoon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 23:02

0gb.us wrote:Sign in with your forum account? Really? That would be just awful. That would require a centralized server, that all the other Minetest servers could talk to. It would be expensive, pointless, and would take much of the freedom and independence out of the application. Not to mention the fact that people would need to register a forum account, even if they didn't plan to post anything in the forum ever.

Well, there might be a way to "do it right". Like offering an (optional) way of logging into Minetest servers through a decentralised authentication system, like OpenID or Mozilla's Personna/BrowserID. Still that would be a lot of ironing left to do.

Menche

by Menche » Fri Dec 14, 2012 00:20

thetoon wrote:
0gb.us wrote:Sign in with your forum account? Really? That would be just awful. That would require a centralized server, that all the other Minetest servers could talk to. It would be expensive, pointless, and would take much of the freedom and independence out of the application. Not to mention the fact that people would need to register a forum account, even if they didn't plan to post anything in the forum ever.

Well, there might be a way to "do it right". Like offering an (optional) way of logging into Minetest servers through a decentralised authentication system, like OpenID or Mozilla's Personna/BrowserID. Still that would be a lot of ironing left to do.

I like the current system best where authentication is handled directly by the server. A while back I was playing minecraft and the Mojang servers went down. I was unable to rejoin the server I was playing on until they were back up, because the central Mojang servers handled authentication. The minetest.net forums have been known to occasionally go down for a day; also, what if you want to make a LAN without Internet and have a local multiplayer game? Or spawn a lot of bots to stress test a server? Or have mutliple accounts?
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Fri Dec 14, 2012 00:58

How about we add a few of the things Josh asks for just a few and make them optional like opaque water and about the crafting table

Pros:Gives wood a more urgent use

Cons: Is very annoying and restricting
Would be a waste of wood
Say I'm down -4000 My last pick brakes I have mese and 2 sticks but cant make a crafting bench.
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

davidpace

by davidpace » Fri Dec 14, 2012 01:36

You should be smart enough to carry one with you #1, and #2 its more of a challenge this way.
Chinchow wrote:How about we add a few of the things Josh asks for just a few and make them optional like opaque water and about the crafting table

Would be a waste of wood
Say I'm down -4000 My last pick brakes I have mese and 2 sticks but cant make a crafting bench.

Josh

by Josh » Fri Dec 14, 2012 01:57

Chinchow wrote:How about we add a few of the things Josh asks for just a few and make them optional like opaque water and about the crafting table

Would be a waste of wood

+1

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Fri Dec 14, 2012 01:58

davidpace wrote:You should be smart enough to carry one with you #1, and #2 its more of a challenge this way.

Would be a waste of wood

#1 or we could have our inventory craft be 3by3 just sayin
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

Josh

by Josh » Fri Dec 14, 2012 02:03

0gb.us wrote:

I'm not sure having animals is a good thing. It would turn the game into more of a farming-type game, and less of a sandbox.

Monsters would be nice though. Based on his weblog, I think Celeron55 is planing to bring back monsters. They were probably only removed to make the transition to Lua easier, or something along those lines.

Josh wrote:NPC's: I figured, that before you start the game you could choose how many NPC's you wan't to play with, you can choose

I'm not sure that would add anything to the gameplay, but it probably wouldn't detract from it. As long as the number can be set to zero for people who don't want it, and a non-zero number for those who do, it might be okay.

Josh wrote:More suitable credit's and wording: When you look at the credit's in the menu you do see stuff like: ten more random people.

The game will be cleaned up as it nears completion. I'm sure things such as this will be fixed.

Josh wrote:Accounts: It would be good if you could have account's screen where you type in your username and password.

I don't understand what you mean. We DO have a log in page .....

Josh wrote:Crafting table: It's not really that bad of an issue but what about using a crafting table?

Not the worst idea, but certainly not a GOOD idea. One of the great things about Minetest is that you aren't limited to crafting in locations that you have set up a crafting table. If you still want to use crafting tables, the game is highly customizable, and there already exists a plugin for that.

Josh wrote:

Minetest is ALREADY better, for a number of reasons. No hunger bar, no crafting table, items don't drop and need to be picked up a second time when you mine them, runs faster (on my computer, anyway) ...... the list goes on. If you like Minecraft better, why not play that instead? Admittedly, there are a few things that Minecraft does better, but the list is so short that I can't even think of anything right now.

Yes minetest is already better then minecraft, besides i never really liked minecraft when i played it. However when i played minetest i liked it because: It was smoother, it was a great minecraft alternative, it was more simpler than minecraft,
it was more easier to build constructions on. So that's when i decided to stick with minetest :)
Last edited by Josh on Fri Dec 14, 2012 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 02:29

i could do with a little bigger plains and less caves
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Fri Dec 14, 2012 08:45

jojoa1997 wrote:i could do with a little bigger plains and less caves

Scared? :)

xmagicx60

by xmagicx60 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 18:17

I know I'm a newbie, but the things that bug me most about minetest are..

1: The textures. Seriously, none of them seem to fit together.
Minecraft has it's own feel for each of the textures, but minetest seems like a bunch of random pixels just thrown in there, plus, the mods sometimes use high-res textures that make it feel like someone just plopped a picture into the world.

2: The responsiveness of the world/gui and nonconformities in them.
The world seems a bit undependable on the speed in which you mine the same block, and it just dosn't feel like the blocks are being dug out, more like they are being zapped with a giant invisible laser or something. (I havent used MT in a while due to my new computer complications)

The gui seems rather crappy and nonsensical, why not let the items appear more like a seperate entity then just "part of the gui".

Otherwise, I can see this amounting to something big.

Oh, also, on the animals / flora fauna topic, I'd prefer for someone to make a mod that adds TONS of different plants and animals, rare-common and lots of interactions between them that would make them all worth something individually.
Instead of just copying MC with a few different animals, how about we go from Green anoles - Gila monsters, Housecats to Pumas to Red pandas and have them all act like animals.
Probably overkill, but I love fluffy things.

-magicx

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 18:35

OmniStudent wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:i could do with a little bigger plains and less caves

Scared? :)

No. I love to build my houses in caves and mountains but I can never find enough room to build a village and I don't want to build a village in the desert.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 18:44

Chinchow wrote:
davidpace wrote:You should be smart enough to carry one with you #1, and #2 its more of a challenge this way.

Would be a waste of wood

#1 or we could have our inventory craft be 3by3 just sayin

Or we could have the craft bench be a setting like opaque water. You go to the menu, change the setting to 3*3 inventory crafting, and this fixes the problem while making it challenging. I have a workbench from the workbench mods mainly for looks but it also makes my workshop an actual workshop.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

DigAmy

by DigAmy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 15:46

Josh wrote:

Many of them are like minecraft i know. The trouble is that minecraft have all these things, so what can we use?
Minetest is in need of ideas but like i said, we do not want copy minecraft. Im not saying that minetest will and should be minecraft,
I want this game like minecraft! I use minetest because the java games in my pc doesn't work!!! Ok? Minetest is a GAME LIKE MINECRAFT and is ok! Minetest like minecraft forever!!!
DigAmy can do his work: request mod XD

DigAmy

by DigAmy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 15:52

DigAmy wrote:
Josh wrote:

I want this game like minecraft! I use minetest because the java games in my pc doesn't work!!! Ok? Minetest is a GAME LIKE MINECRAFT and is ok! Minetest like minecraft forever!!!
Minetest a better minecraft.
DigAmy can do his work: request mod XD

Casimir

by Casimir » Fri Sep 06, 2013 17:49

[troll]Nodetest, a better Minetest.[/troll]

Josh

by Josh » Sat Sep 07, 2013 02:59

DigAmy wrote:
Josh wrote:

Minetest's goal is to be different from Minecraft though.

Return to Minetest General