Why isn't Minetest more popular?

Jakssoul

Why isn't Minetest more popular?

by Jakssoul » Tue Dec 25, 2012 02:37

I asked this in the IRC, but nobody cared to respond.

Minecraft, which costs TWENTY DOLLARS, has MILLIONS of registered users. This forum has 3,849 at the time of this post.

How is it that this game, with a wonderful support community, (VanessaE being a great example), being OPEN SOURCE, and having all the mods it does, doesn't have a massive following? I've been playing for a few days, plan to continue playing for a long time, and Minecraft has NOTHING compared to this! Free and Open Source? Come on! This game should have a cult following!

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 02:39

Jakssoul wrote:I asked this in the IRC, but nobody cared to respond.

Minecraft, which costs TWENTY DOLLARS, has MILLIONS of registered users. This forum has 3,849 at the time of this post.

How is it that this game, with a wonderful support community, (VanessaE being a great example), being OPEN SOURCE, and having all the mods it does, doesn't have a massive following? I've been playing for a few days, plan to continue playing for a long time, and Minecraft has NOTHING compared to this! Free and Open Source? Come on! This game should have a cult following!

Minecraft has been around longer, has more mods, and is in the 1.8 instead of 0.4. Though minetest is still better.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Jakssoul

by Jakssoul » Tue Dec 25, 2012 02:41

I don't know about better at the moment (lots of bugs), but it's still INCREDIBLE. For it to be free and open source.. I mean, come on. This is absolutely fantastic.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 02:42

Jakssoul wrote:I don't know about better at the moment (lots of bugs), but it's still INCREDIBLE. For it to be free and open source.. I mean, come on. This is absolutely fantastic.

I agree 100% minetest is like infinity% better than minecraft
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Josh

by Josh » Tue Dec 25, 2012 03:57

The thing thats fishy about the minecraft's website is that the So far (number) of people have bought the game bar
goes up about...every 10 seconds. And minetest is 9999999999999999999999999999999999% better than minecraft
go minetest!

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 04:05

Since you have to pay for it people trust it more and you can also play in browser so you can play anywhere. I am not sure about the in browser art though.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Tue Dec 25, 2012 04:15

The word hasn't gotten out yet. Plus you have many who expect certain features that minecrap has but minetest doesn't (yet) or doesn't have implemented well enough. Examples being carts and mobs mostly. If there was a good resource efficient mob and cart setup that both actually worked and used 3d stuff then minetest might take off.

my 2c
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Tue Dec 25, 2012 05:13

Hi and merry christmas.
Well... this problem is experienced by *any* FLOSS project. The problem is that no one is doing "marketing" bullshit with us. We are just proud cheapstakes (no offense intended, I am included in this group myself). The best we have to do "marketing" is to tell a friend "Hey! You gotta play Minetest! It's an awesome game!", and show him/her the game and try to attract him/her. In contrast, Mojang (the company behind MC) has tons of resources to actually reach a wider audience.
The only solution to this problem IMHO is either make a real company aware of us, and convince them to start "supporting" (read "advertising") Minetest, or do it ourselves.

EDIT: Just to make things more clear (and to not make this post offensive to sensitive people), by "proud cheapstakes" I mean users/programmers who are proud to be writing software for free, just for fun, or whatever ideology you have.
Last edited by kaeza on Tue Dec 25, 2012 05:17, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 05:28

kaeza wrote:Hi and merry christmas.
Well... this problem is experienced by *any* FLOSS project. The problem is that no one is doing "marketing" bullshit with us. We are just proud cheapstakes (no offense intended, I am included in this group myself). The best we have to do "marketing" is to tell a friend "Hey! You gotta play Minetest! It's an awesome game!", and show him/her the game and try to attract him/her. In contrast, Mojang (the company behind MC) has tons of resources to actually reach a wider audience.
The only solution to this problem IMHO is either make a real company aware of us, and convince them to start "supporting" (read "advertising") Minetest, or do it ourselves.

EDIT: Just to make things more clear (and to not make this post offensive to sensitive people), by "proud cheapstakes" I mean users/programmers who are proud to be writing software for free, just for fun, or whatever ideology you have.

I say forget about a company noticing us because money will be tied in somewhere and the game will cost us.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

NakedFury

by NakedFury » Tue Dec 25, 2012 06:07

Minecraft at first had word of mouth advertising and even now I don't see any ads or commercials about it, it actually remains a sort of word of mouth advertising move, except massive quantity of youtube videos, iport and xbox game, merchandise, and 2 minecons.

And yes when people find this game i suppose they do expect it to have certain features that for now remain non existant or hard to do unless added by source code, mainly smoother way to do carts[smooth as in racing game smooth] and monsters or creatures or animals.

The fact of the matter is that when people think sandbox games or survival they expect to actually survive from something, be it hunger, some monster in the night, drowning, and other players[and for this and monsters they also expect some combat which even minecraft has a disgustingly bad combat system, nasty].

Minetest has a lot of positive things going for it but people are seeing the missing things first before trying it.

Aqua

by Aqua » Tue Dec 25, 2012 06:36

Not everyone who plays minetest is registered on the forums...There could be alot more...
Not everyone who plays minecra--- bought it, some got it for free...There could be alot more...

Anyway, I don't want minetest to have millions of people playing it like minecra--- otherwise the forum will be crowded with everybody drowning out each other's topics. I like the community the way it is.

Minecra--- has a 2 or 3 year head start and in 2 or 3 years minetest will be just as good as minecra--- if not even better...
Who knows? No one can predict the future...
Hi there ^.~

Josh

by Josh » Wed Dec 26, 2012 01:59

Minetest is, will and always will be better then minecraft. My freind's say that minetest is crap, but i don't listen to them.
Don't listen to people that say negative things about minetest. Just enjoy playing minetest :)
Last edited by Josh on Wed Dec 26, 2012 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Wed Dec 26, 2012 02:10

kaeza wrote:Hi and merry christmas.

Yeah, it's mainly lack of advertising.

Also, people expect this game to implement stupid features, and the fact that Minetest is too good to implement said features probably gets less people to play it. (Like logging into the game with your forum account? What the heck? That would be highly inconvenient for most people.) Of course, if lousy features were implemented, still others would leave.

Another issue is that the game isn't really complete yet. The client is constantly crashing. It does it almost every time most people hit the F10 key. By the time the game is "finished" (although development will likely continue), our number will likely have grown substantially. Minecraft will likely always be more popular, and many will likely just view this game as a Minecraft ripoff, but Minecraft is just an Infiniminer clone as well, so it's not like Minecraft is original.

The games may have different audiences as well. From what I gather from other player's thoughts, Minetest may be more targeted toward adults as well, while Minecraft is more for children. Because more children have time for games than adults, this could also contribute to Minecraft's higher popularity. This isn't true across the board though, as I have met many children playing Minetest as well. In addition, most Linux users think "oh yay, an open source game", while many non-Linux people feel that you get what you pay for. And for OS X users who don't know how to compile, Minetest isn't even an option.

I have many more thoughts, but I'll end this post before it gets any more rambly. If we want more users, our best chance is to advertise.

Jakssoul

by Jakssoul » Wed Dec 26, 2012 02:31

Advertise how, exactly?

kaeza

by kaeza » Wed Dec 26, 2012 02:58

Jakssoul wrote:Advertise how, exactly?

For example:
  • let's flood YouTube with high quality "Let's Play" videos.
  • Share some pics/videos with your friends on Google+, Facebook, Reddit, *insert your favorite social platform here*
  • Word of mouth: invite your friends to play, and show them that Minetest is a fun game to play despite it's perceived "low quality" graphics.
  • Tell your friends that there's almost any imaginable game mode through the use of mods; be it PvP in a FPSish style (with guns and such), RPG-like gameplay (experience points), or just to be plain creative.
  • If your friends are on the geek side, tell them it's easy to develop their own mods and share them with the community.
There are more ways of course.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

LorenzoVulcan

by LorenzoVulcan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:30

jojoa1997 wrote:Minecraft has been around longer, has more mods, and is in the 1.8 instead of 0.4. Though minetest is still better.

I think minetest has got more mods than minecraft and they're easier to install.

Minetest is not much better than minecraft because of its raw performances and little bugs.
Developer of the BlockForge 2# Project!
Official thread: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=54290#p54290

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:07

i have an idea for all of you website owners, make an ad on your index.html, if theres more than 1 index.html (like on my site) then do it on all of them =)
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

jmf

by jmf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:09

Minetest T-Shirts!!!
I like the idea of selling minetest t-shirts in internet.
The money earned with this will go to the development
and the t-shirts advertise minetest and are cool.
Idea for a t-shirt theme:
On the front of the shirt:
The dungeon master and the text "Here, have a fireball", or the minetest logo.
On the backside:
The "minetest-c55" label as found in main menu.
My ingame name is "john", my IRC name is "john_minetest".
I am chef mod on this server: minetest.org : 30015(see here)
"I am immune to signature virus." <-- Add this to your signature to gain immunity!!!

LorenzoVulcan

by LorenzoVulcan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:10

jmf wrote:

Minetest T-Shirts!!!
I like the idea of selling minetest t-shirts in internet.
The money earned with this will go to the development
and the t-shirts advertise minetest and are cool.
Idea for a t-shirt theme:
On the front of the shirt:
The dungeon master and the text "Here, have a fireball", or the minetest logo.
On the backside:
The "minetest-c55" label as found in main menu.

+1.Anyway,Pony t-shirts are also a good idea.

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:02

STFU, NOBODY (except yov) LIKES PONIES, SHEESH...
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:06

jmf: im working on it, and if i will start it, then i think i will split the money 40-60 (60 to me =P, 40 to celeron maybe...) cause i know a guy -_o

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:08

or 50-35-15 (50 to me, 35 to celeron, 15 to winners (ill explane later))

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:24

For advertising get creative. For missing features at least get together a group of skilled coders to work on them.

The basics that are missing is efficient mobs, efficient carts that don't lag, efficient boats that don't lag or appear at random places (current carts do this too it seems) and get a good mod repo setup going so mods are easier for new users to find/install/update.

Do the above and minetest will soar.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

ashups

by ashups » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:27

In my opinion, one of the reasons — bad support for localization. For example, I can not use the Russian language in the game chat or on the signs. Another example: when selected Russian keyboard layout, control keys not working. These issues are relevant to some other languages.

The inability to use the native language reduces popularity of the game.

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:34

it kinda does, doesnt it =/

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 16:20

Ragnar wrote:i have an idea for all of you website owners, make an ad on your index.html, if theres more than 1 index.html (like on my site) then do it on all of them =)

I shall do this, good idea

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 16:22

LorenzoVulcan wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:Minecraft has been around longer, has more mods, and is in the 1.8 instead of 0.4. Though minetest is still better.

I think minetest has got more mods than minecraft and they're easier to install.

Minetest is not much better than minecraft because of its raw performances and little bugs.

minetest is also a lot easier to mod.

imo, minecraft mods are not real mods because they require decompiling and compiling of the source.

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Wed Dec 26, 2012 17:11

thanks rube, but isnt that the easiest way? and i was the first to suggest? lol

LorenzoVulcan

by LorenzoVulcan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 17:32

rubenwardy wrote:
imo, minecraft mods are not real mods because they require decompiling and compiling of the source.

I think those are still mods because they're modifications to the game even if they require source modification.

kaeza

by kaeza » Wed Dec 26, 2012 17:51

I like the idea of T-Shirts.
Hmm... I think we should definitely need to invent a new minetest mascot. One that is appealing to people of all ages. Think about it: The green sprite guy is not very appealing, and a dungeon master may be too creepy for some people. I think we should start a new topic for artists to submit their art.
EDIT: The Minetest Icon is nice, but does not convey the idea of a fun game IMHO.
Last edited by kaeza on Wed Dec 26, 2012 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Minetest General