Windows Installer

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

Windows Installer

by kaeza » Sat Dec 29, 2012 02:20

This is another small contribution for those Windows users that are not comfortable with using the zipped versions and prefer an installer.

It is the *same* version as the one in this topic, but nicely packaged into an installer.

Download:
Windows EXE (NOTE: version is heavily outdated; only use to see how the final setup program looks like)

The setup program installs Minetest, minetest_game, and optionally the minimal game. It also creates shortcuts to the game, minetest.net, and adds an entry to the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel applet.

Hope you like it.
Last edited by kaeza on Tue Jan 29, 2013 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 16:28

Well done!

kaeza

by kaeza » Sat Dec 29, 2012 16:46

rubenwardy wrote:Well done!

Thanks!
I originally made this for my nephew, but since this may be useful to other users as well, so why not post it here?
Last edited by kaeza on Sat Dec 29, 2012 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

kaeza

by kaeza » Tue Jan 29, 2013 17:02

This is the script I used to generate the installer.

Since my comment on IRC was pretty much (or outright) ignored, I'll post this here. Hopefully, this will get more attention from interested parties.

Inno Setup site
Download Script

Please read carefully the following instructions; there will be cake at the end of it.

How to Use:
  • Download the script from the link above, and the latest package from xyz's Win32 Minetest builds.
  • Create a new directory and put the script inside it.
  • Unpack the Win32 Minetest package and put it inside a "minetest" subdirectory, such that you have <dir>/mt-setup.iss, <dir>/minetest/bin/minetest.exe, etc.
  • Open mt-setup.iss in InnoSetup, edit the version info as required, and hit Ctrl+F9 to compile. You should get the installer in the <dir>\Output directory.
If you have good comments or constructive criticism, I want to hear it. If you don't like this or think it's overkill or any other thing, please keep your comments to yourself, thanks.

I cannot provide installers myself frequently enough because of my current limited monthly bandwidth, so I hope someone can take care of that.

Thanks for reading up to this point, but the cake is a lie :)
Last edited by kaeza on Tue Jan 29, 2013 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 18:13

kaeza wrote:If you have good comments or constructive criticism, I want to hear it. If you don't like this or think it's overkill or any other thing, please keep your comments to yourself, thanks.

Will do when you will follow this advice of yours as well :p
ATM: Nah! Useless.

BrandonReese

GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Tue Jan 29, 2013 18:19

I was considering making a Windows installer using Nullsoft Scriptable Install System, but I'll check out Inno since you already have the script written.

My brother had a little trouble installing Minetest (finding where he extracted it actually) so an installer that creates a Start Menu group and icons would be helpful to some.

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Tue Jan 29, 2013 18:48

I could easily do installers for Windows and Linux (Linux may be a touch harder). However I doubt anyone would use them even if I did make them.

For the dev team of Minetest, have a look at BitRock InstallBuilder. Multi platform install creator and they give free licenses for open source products.

http://installbuilder.bitrock.com/
http://installbuilder.bitrock.com/open-source-licenses.html

Getting the project in it initially setup is a little bit of a pain but updates for new installers for the project is pretty easy.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 19:04

Does this install the github dev version
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

kaeza

by kaeza » Tue Jan 29, 2013 19:42

jojoa1997 wrote:Does this install the github dev version

Please take a second of your precious time to actually read the post. Thanks.
Last edited by kaeza on Tue Jan 29, 2013 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 20:20

oh so it is a dev installer i couldn't see the link cause i was on tablet.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

4aiman

by 4aiman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 20:35

There's no need in scripts. Self-extracting archive with "post-extracting job" will do.
There should be a line where users knowledge and memory would be required.
If someone do not remember where he extract smth to... no comments on that one.

Today one will make installer for those who do not watch what they're doing and where they're unpacking things, tomorrow that one would find himself in a load of questions of a kind like "How can I turn-on my PC?" Heed my words.
Give them a fishing rod instead of fish.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Tue Jan 29, 2013 22:42

4aiman wrote:There's no need in scripts. Self-extracting archive with "post-extracting job" will do.
There should be a line where users knowledge and memory would be required.
If someone do not remember where he extract smth to... no comments on that one.

Today one will make installer for those who do not watch what they're doing and where they're unpacking things, tomorrow that one would find himself in a load of questions of a kind like "How can I turn-on my PC?" Heed my words.
Give them a fishing rod instead of fish.

I think having an Installer is a good idea, why not make Minetest as easy as possible for anybody to install/uninstall/update?

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Tue Jan 29, 2013 22:57

That was easy! Here is a Windows Installer for PilzAdam's latest build.

http://www.bremaweb.com/minetest/Minetest-0.4.4-d1-28f5b55PilzAdamBuild.exe
Last edited by BrandonReese on Tue Jan 29, 2013 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza

by kaeza » Wed Jan 30, 2013 00:13

BrandonReese wrote:I think having an Installer is a good idea, why not make Minetest as easy as possible for anybody to install/uninstall/update?

Thanks for your support. I agree on that, not every user knows how to mess around with computers, and this script is meant to make it easier for those users.

BTW, I ask you please DNFTT, if you know what I mean :)

BrandonReese wrote:That was easy! Here is a Windows Installer for PilzAdam's latest build.

http://www.bremaweb.com/minetest/Minetest-0.4.4-d1-28f5b55PilzAdamBuild.exe

Congrats! I wasn't too hard was it?
Do you think anything else should be added?
Last edited by kaeza on Wed Jan 30, 2013 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:24

I modified the script to work with 0.4.6, and I made an installer: http://ubuntuone.com/3odMYVRz7tMQ6quqVZWLdr

This installer is on the downloads page of minetest.net

Here is the script: https://gist.github.com/rubenwardy/5397343

I will be doing installers for any upcoming official builds (when the version number changes).

It is up to a builder (pilzadam, xyz, sfan5 etc) to either make an installer, or alert me so I can.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 18:35

rubenwardy wrote:I modified the script to work with 0.4.6, and I made an installer: http://ubuntuone.com/3odMYVRz7tMQ6quqVZWLdr

This installer is on the downloads page of minetest.net

Here is the script: https://gist.github.com/rubenwardy/5397343

I will be doing installers for any upcoming official builds (when the version number changes).

It is up to a builder (pilzadam, xyz, sfan5 etc) to either make an installer, or alert me so I can.

Nice to have this updated. Note that I don't personnally use windows, but this is great, especially to have it on the official download page.
By the way, why isn't there the public server list on official builds ? or was it introduced after 0.4.6 ?
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 18:37

Zeg9 wrote:Nice to have this updated. Note that I don't personnally use windows, but this is great, especially to have it on the official download page.
By the way, why isn't there the public server list on official builds ? or was it introduced after 0.4.6 ?

It was added in 0.4.4, according to Changelog
Last edited by rubenwardy on Tue Apr 16, 2013 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 15:42

Very nice, apart from the fact is is Minetest not minetest-c55.

• You can not select games to install
  • You have not released the code for installer, or the script etc
Last edited by rubenwardy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Minetest General