IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

Minetest Licenses [Drafts]

by Jordach » Thu Apr 11, 2013 00:24

Hey, I have been working on drafts of a Minetest specific licenses set:

These are covering two main areas:

Artistry, sounds, images and models.

Lua based mods.

These are generally biased to stop non free forks of Minetest closing the source.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Minetest Mod License:

The Minetest Mod License grants you these rights:

The ability to use the code provided with any fork or release of Minetest, whether derived from the main Minetest source code repository or not.

To modify and add your own forks / derivatives.

The source code of the modified mod that is used on a public server must be published in a freely-accessible online resource. Private servers and local copies are exempt.

Attribution must be given to the original author; no matter who he/she may be.

The source code must be freely distributable, and must have the source as well as compiled code; if applicable.

This license grants any user of the Minetest codebase, whether forked as private property, or the public repo, the right to include the mod in the bundle of engine and game modes; but must follow the second, third and fourth clause.

It is always the right of the mod author to withdraw usage of the mod, in any case, all public download mirrors should be destroyed within 72 hours of the original notice. Public and private servers are allowed to keep the mods to stop the worlds from breaking; they can choose to whether to remove the mod or not.
    In the case of the mod author hands his rights to another person with an email statement, the person who now holds the rights can put the mod back online at his/her choosing; this must also include attribution.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
The Minetest Artistic License:

The Minetest Artistic License grants you these rights:

Freely use and distribute the textures / models / sounds.

You are allowed to modify and edit the textures / models / sounds, that if you upload them, attribution must be given to the original artist.

The textures / models / sounds can be used with any derivative form of Minetest, or forks of the original codebase which can be public or private.

The textures / models / sounds can be used with a non-free fork of Minetest; provided that they attribute the artist and properly credit them; eg, link to the original web post, and state any deviations made to the original textures / sounds / models.

Servers and players of Minetest can use the textures / models / sounds for as long as they please; however, at the user’s choice, they can remove it if they wish.

If the artist removes the original textures / models / sounds, all public / private mirrors of the pack should delete them within 72 hours and the post deleted. This does not affect clause 5 in any way.
    The original artist can give the ownership rights of his/her works, provided that there is evidence that the transfer of ownership has taken place. The new owner, can remove the artwork, or re-upload them, if the original artist had deleted them and they have a backup, or just simply continue working on the original artwork, provided that they give attribution to the original artist.
Last edited by Jordach on Thu Apr 11, 2013 00:27, edited 1 time in total.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Thu Apr 11, 2013 00:49

Now this the License talking about Jojo :)
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach

by Jordach » Thu Apr 11, 2013 00:53

Likwid H-Craft wrote:Now this the License talking about Jojo :)
You made me check the email for THIS?

Anyways, dunno, he does always attribute the original author.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 01:03

Jordach wrote:
Likwid H-Craft wrote:Now this the License talking about Jojo :)
You made me check the email for THIS?

Anyways, dunno, he does always attribute the original author.
uh what license and of course i attribute. i might not know what the license mean but if i attribute and make sure i am having the right licenses then i am covered.though i dont like the part about getting rid of the mod in 72 hours
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

celeron55

by celeron55 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 06:14

This is bad, overly restrictive and VERY FAR from any kind of FOSS thing. Nothing under these licenses would be allowed to be released on this forum.

Also, it is VERY GOOD practice to use existing licenses, because people understand them, they have been written by people who understand law and they have been tested in courts.

Menche

by Menche » Thu Apr 11, 2013 06:32

The mod author can demand that everyone stop using his mod, except for where it would break a world? Uh...
Last edited by Menche on Thu Apr 11, 2013 06:33, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

CryAngel

by CryAngel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 06:33

Jordach wrote:generally biased to stop non free forks of Minetest closing the source.

GPLv3 not cover is?

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Thu Apr 11, 2013 06:37

CryAngel wrote:
Jordach wrote:generally biased to stop non free forks of Minetest closing the source.

GPLv3 not cover is?

Minetest is LGPL since June 2012 -- most of the textures are under CC BY-SA or WTFPL, too.

CryAngel

by CryAngel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 06:47

Calinou wrote:Minetest is LGPL since June 201

so, why yet another license?

Jordach

by Jordach » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:00

Have you seen the atrocities of Minecraft mods and stuff, it's like ewww.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:02

Jordach wrote:Have you seen the atrocities of Minecraft mods and stuff, it's like ewww.
yeah but minecraft is closed source
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Nore

GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:24

I don't like the part about deleting downloads, if the author wants to remove it.

CryAngel

by CryAngel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:18

btw minecraft also have opensource mods - like Universal Electricity or BuildCraft.

Jordach

by Jordach » Thu Apr 11, 2013 13:12

Nore wrote:I don't like the part about deleting downloads, if the author wants to remove it.
NekoGloop removed support for his mods and wanted every copy destroyed. However, this did not happen.
Last edited by Jordach on Thu Apr 11, 2013 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

jin_xi

by jin_xi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 13:33

Jordach wrote:NekoGloop removed support for his mods and wanted every copy destroyed. However, this did not happen.

lolwut

Menche

by Menche » Thu Apr 11, 2013 21:14

Jordach wrote:NekoGloop removed support for his mods and wanted every copy destroyed. However, this did not happen.

And modders shouldn't be able to demand that. Why should I have to delete a file off of my computer because the author doesn't want to continue developing it?
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Fri Apr 12, 2013 00:44

Yeah I couldn't see such clauses going down well in the upper decks :p Besides, there are a lot of licenses to choose from, some more welcome than others, but they pretty much cover the whole range of intent.

And honestly, the most anyone can reasonably expect is to control the distribution, but you can't seriously expect people to destroy their local copies and in the process, break their maps. If you really want that much control, your only option is basically to compile and encrypt.
Last edited by mauvebic on Fri Apr 12, 2013 04:04, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

Return to Minetest General