dev resources

brainiacbob

dev resources

by brainiacbob » Sat Apr 27, 2013 20:51

hello everyone, i am somewhat of a minetest newbie but would love to dive into coding in c++ help improve the game and even make some mods. can anyone direct me to a guide on minetest c++ coding, also a list of resources would be great. i already know about the minetest dev wiki. thnks.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Apr 27, 2013 21:20

If you are unable to find the resources how to code c++ yourself, then you are most likely unable to code at all.

Also, you dont need to know c++ at all to write mods. Read doc/lua-api.txt (in your Minetest folder) to learn how to write mods.

CryAngel

by CryAngel » Sat Apr 27, 2013 23:03

as some ppl say, there no better documentation than the source code ;)

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Sun Apr 28, 2013 04:56

CryAngel wrote:as some ppl say, there no better documentation than the source code ;)

True Beans.

Anyways I sometimes don't get, why is there a ".h" format for C++? I am a C++ guy it just I don't get the h that all.
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 06:17

Likwid H-Craft wrote:
CryAngel wrote:as some ppl say, there no better documentation than the source code ;)

True Beans.

Anyways I sometimes don't get, why is there a ".h" format for C++? I am a C++ guy it just I don't get the h that all.

There is a .h format for C/C++ because it is REALLY bad to "#include <someotherfile.cpp>"
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 06:30

brainiacbob wrote:hello everyone, i am somewhat of a minetest newbie but would love to dive into coding in c++ help improve the game and even make some mods. can anyone direct me to a guide on minetest c++ coding, also a list of resources would be great. i already know about the minetest dev wiki. thnks.

You don't need C++ to write mods, see minetest/doc/lua_api.txt.
You can find a Lua modding tutorial here: minetest-modding-tutorial/mtmoddeven.txt
If you want to do things with C++ check out this
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

xavier108

IRC: Ezlif

by xavier108 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 09:13

brainiacbob wrote:hello everyone, i am somewhat of a minetest newbie but would love to dive into coding in c++ help improve the game and even make some mods. can anyone direct me to a guide on minetest c++ coding, also a list of resources would be great. i already know about the minetest dev wiki. thnks.

Like the other said you don't need to learn C++ to make a mod.Go to minetest/doc/lua_api.txt to learn how.
If you still want to learn the basic's of C++ then go here: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
Ezlif :D

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:28

sfan5 wrote:
Likwid H-Craft wrote:

True Beans.

There is a .h format for C/C++ because it is REALLY bad to "#include <someotherfile.cpp>"

Oh that why, they different thanks sfan5.

But I guess it bad use it, since it will Crash the whole system, on us.

Btw "D" programming language is for and can you use it for Minetest and is it like C?
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

CryAngel

by CryAngel » Sun Apr 28, 2013 13:10

Likwid H-Craft wrote:Btw "D" programming language is for and can you use it for Minetest and is it like C?

OpenMW history clearly show: D is just wasting time, at least for now.

Return to Minetest General