mod reviews/commentary..

Hackeridze

by Hackeridze » Fri Jan 20, 2012 09:23

Why we need that?
Here the ONE command, that download all and compile it and run it:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install build-essential libirrlicht-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libxxf86vm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev && wget https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/tarball/master -O master.tar.gz && tar xf master.tar.gz && cd celeron55-minetest* && cmake . && make -j2 && cd bin && ./minetest
My game: RTMG
GENTOO USER

jordan4ibanez

GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:55

Hackeridze wrote:Why we need that?
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
sudo apt-get install build-essential libirrlicht-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libxxf86vm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev && wget https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/tarball/master -O master.tar.gz && tar xf master.tar.gz && cd celeron55-minetest* && cmake . && make -j2 && cd bin && ./minetest

faster dev..it allows you to debug...it shows you any code that doesnt work..allows you to test faster..automatically builds after any code is changed when you click play..its easier to develop in netbeans
If you can think it, you can make it.

dannydark

by dannydark » Fri Jan 20, 2012 19:34

jordan4ibanez wrote:
Hackeridze wrote:Why we need that?

faster dev..it allows you to debug...it shows you any code that doesnt work..allows you to test faster..automatically builds after any code is changed when you click play..its easier to develop in netbeans

Yeah netbeans is one of the best free IDE's, however, pretty much all IDE's can do this both free and paid ^_^ I use Visual Studio 2010 (well Visual Studio 11 developer preview atm) which can do the same as what netbeans does the only downsides are its only for Windows and you have to pay for it (I luckily didn't have to as my work bought a license for each developer).

But I guess its what your comfortable with really as even with VS and a few other products on my systems capable of compiling code sometimes running make is just much simpler and usually quicker as you only have to open a terminal and type a few characters rather than some chunky program.

EDIT: Also you don't have to click run to compile it you can just click build ^_^ which will compile the code without running it.
Last edited by dannydark on Fri Jan 20, 2012 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Mon Jan 23, 2012 21:52

welp heres episode 7..its un-edited because kdenlive broke my codecs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsdGZLnf86k
this video is on 0.4 latest dev

dannydark

by dannydark » Mon Jan 23, 2012 23:13

jordan4ibanez wrote:welp heres episode 7..its un-edited because kdenlive broke my codecs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsdGZLnf86k

Nice video, I haven't updated my local copy yet and was wondering how the inventory changes looked (i.e. the drag and drop etc) thanks ^_^

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Mon Jan 23, 2012 23:57

dannydark wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:welp heres episode 7..its un-edited because kdenlive broke my codecs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsdGZLnf86k

Nice video, I haven't updated my local copy yet and was wondering how the inventory changes looked (i.e. the drag and drop etc) thanks ^_^

no problem! i just installed xubuntu and should have a new video out today :D

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Wed Jan 25, 2012 04:18

i was too tired to do a talking commentary today..so here is episode 8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sARFtlcvlBw (it is a simple video)

and heres music i made for the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmsys_vvodU

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Wed Jan 25, 2012 08:23

jordan4ibanez wrote:
dannydark wrote:

no problem! i just installed xubuntu and should have a new video out today :D

yay! XUBUNTU!!!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Jan 27, 2012 05:14

because the new distros have royally f***ed up openshot and record my desktop i have reverted to ubuntu 10.10..and it is VERY VERY nice compared to todays distros..new video officially tomorrow

also i am looking for a new channel intro! :D

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 06:19

jordan4ibanez wrote:because the new distros have royally f***ed up openshot and record my desktop i have reverted to ubuntu 10.10..and it is VERY VERY nice compared to todays distros..new video officially tomorrow

Do you know how to add Titles with OpenShot, i can't get it working
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Jan 27, 2012 13:07

sfan5 wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:because the new distros have royally f***ed up openshot and record my desktop i have reverted to ubuntu 10.10..and it is VERY VERY nice compared to todays distros..new video officially tomorrow

Do you know how to add Titles with OpenShot, i can't get it working

yes..install blender

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Jan 27, 2012 22:25

here is episode 9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzr4TGV31D0 the first attempt at a lets play

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 02:46

Just a question, but does anyone know a good screen recorder for Windows? I can't find any that work

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Sat Jan 28, 2012 03:35

nothing works if you are on a medium/older pc ..trust me..i tried for over a year

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 06:28

I'm positive I have a almost brand new laptop it is lenovo and is running on Windows 7

sfan5

by sfan5 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 09:23

Try hypercam2.
I used it to record my Videos before I switched to Linux

dannydark

by dannydark » Sat Jan 28, 2012 17:43

jordan4ibanez wrote:here is episode 9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzr4TGV31D0 the first attempt at a lets play

Haha that DM wanted you dead lol, nice lets play ^_^ keep em coming!

Also there is a patch for sand/gravel not falling into water here: https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/pull/30 although its base on an old lua file so you may need to alter it a bit.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 18:05

jordan4ibanez wrote:here is episode 9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzr4TGV31D0 the first attempt at a lets play

+2 for your Lets Play

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 18:13

If I can get it to download, I can finally make a video on a few different little things I found that can help with the average player

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Tue Jan 31, 2012 15:07

here is episode 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k66POMYmML0

just messing around with sound..
should have new video up today

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Tue Jan 31, 2012 15:08

hackeridze is no longer allowed to comment on my channel for obvious troll is obvious

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Wed Feb 01, 2012 03:57

here is episode 11 ...lets play part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyr4Js-5V7I

had to whisper...as it was late at night
Last edited by jordan4ibanez on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 05:57

jordan4ibanez wrote:here is episode 11 ...lets play part 2

I can't See any link

Staffs

by Staffs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 08:07

sfan5 wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:here is episode 11 ...lets play part 2

I can't See any link

:D Me too
I love mods :D

kahrl

by kahrl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 08:37

Link

Nice video again :)

dannydark

by dannydark » Thu Feb 02, 2012 02:57

Haha 12.crap nice pretty much my opinion of it too lol, although I suppose it is only an alpha atm so we shall see hopefully the end product will be a lot more stable.

so yeh about SSD's I would say that they are definitely worth the money well at least for me they where, I have two, One In my laptop (1st gen Intel ssd) and one in my PC (3rd gen Intel) and I've not had any problems with them at all and probably would never go back to standard hd's for my OS and programs, however, I've heard a lot people have had problems with SSDs and the most common thing I hear is that they burn out after around a year of usage, I've had the one in my laptop for about 2 years now (used to be in my PC) with no problems but I would say this use them mainly for your OS and any programs and use another hard drive for your user data (music, pictures, downloads etc) as apparently this is usually the main cause of the problems people using them as a single drive on there own.

For me it increased my system start up massively and a lot of heavy programs became a lot more responsive and started a lot quicker and the best thing was compiling anything (including minetest) is tons faster than it was on my standard hd so thats always a plus ^_^

But like with anything new (suppose it still is kind of) do your reading first see what people have said about the one your looking at getting etc, also make sure you get one which comes with at least a 3 year warranty (I think Intel's come with a 5yr as standard) that way your covered if it does go.

Anyway another good video ^_^ keep them coming.

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Thu Feb 02, 2012 05:27

dannydark wrote:Haha 12.crap nice pretty much my opinion of it too lol, although I suppose it is only an alpha atm so we shall see hopefully the end product will be a lot more stable.

so yeh about SSD's I would say that they are definitely worth the money well at least for me they where, I have two, One In my laptop (1st gen Intel ssd) and one in my PC (3rd gen Intel) and I've not had any problems with them at all and probably would never go back to standard hd's for my OS and programs, however, I've heard a lot people have had problems with SSDs and the most common thing I hear is that they burn out after around a year of usage, I've had the one in my laptop for about 2 years now (used to be in my PC) with no problems but I would say this use them mainly for your OS and any programs and use another hard drive for your user data (music, pictures, downloads etc) as apparently this is usually the main cause of the problems people using them as a single drive on there own.

For me it increased my system start up massively and a lot of heavy programs became a lot more responsive and started a lot quicker and the best thing was compiling anything (including minetest) is tons faster than it was on my standard hd so thats always a plus ^_^

But like with anything new (suppose it still is kind of) do your reading first see what people have said about the one your looking at getting etc, also make sure you get one which comes with at least a 3 year warranty (I think Intel's come with a 5yr as standard) that way your covered if it does go.

Anyway another good video ^_^ keep them coming.

thank you! and hmm..that makes me want to get an ssd :D

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Thu Feb 02, 2012 20:40

jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Feb 03, 2012 19:20

dannydark

by dannydark » Fri Feb 03, 2012 20:33

jordan4ibanez wrote:episode 12 is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf-sQ55MIxo

:O my...my....front lawn!!! :'( haha ^_^ man, I take a few days out of playing MT to do some work and you go and blowup my garden lol

You mentioned that you wanted to get the farming mod but didn't want to install a modpack, why don't you just get Sapiers Farming Mod? its what I use on my single player world also you said you where having problems with Sapiers animals mod what errors did you get?

I'm running the latest fine on my side :S

With regards to recording multiple chat while recording you could look at using Mumble and Murmur (http://mumble.sourceforge.net/) which is free and open source. Mumble is the voice recording client and Murmur is the server that the client connects too ^_^.

I'll try and get on tonight after I get this current work I'm doing finished, do you think you could try and not blow up my house before then? haha :P

And finally another great video keep them coming :D

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest General