endless?

hammergil

endless?

by hammergil » Mon Aug 12, 2013 22:56

Have been playing minetest on Ubuntu for about a week now and love it. I have a question. I am digging straight down (I know, a little dangerous but I like to live on the edge :) ). I am starting to think that there is no bottom to this thing, am I on to something? If so, I have a long way to go back up for nothing...hehe

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Mon Aug 12, 2013 23:05

The map goes down to a little bit short of -31000m (31 km below sea level)
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

hammergil

by hammergil » Mon Aug 12, 2013 23:27

VanessaE wrote:The map goes down to a little bit short of -31000m (31 km below sea level)

wow, what is at the bottom? will i drop into oblivion? also, thx for the quick response!

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Mon Aug 12, 2013 23:33

hammergil wrote:
VanessaE wrote:The map goes down to a little bit short of -31000m (31 km below sea level)

wow, what is at the bottom? will i drop into oblivion? also, thx for the quick response!
The bottom of the world is walkable, if you believe it, I've been down there myself doing Mese mining, boy is there loads of it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Mon Aug 12, 2013 23:46

I still say we need "unbreakable hard iron" for a base material at the bottom of the map, akin to minecraft's bedrock

hammergil

by hammergil » Mon Aug 12, 2013 23:58

VanessaE wrote:I still say we need "unbreakable hard iron" for a base material at the bottom of the map, akin to minecraft's bedrock

Yes, that is what I was expecting to find. Really enjoying playing minetest, I am impressed with the work you all have done!

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 00:39

VanessaE wrote:I still say we need "unbreakable hard iron" for a base material at the bottom of the map, akin to minecraft's bedrock

It should be called "Adminium" officially(!).
The player should be able to destroy it by planting a seed on soil below it.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Tue Aug 13, 2013 00:55

Well as it would be at the bottom of the world, I don't see how one could conceivably plant anything below it :P

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 05:42

VanessaE wrote:Well as it would be at the bottom of the world, I don't see how one could conceivably plant anything below it :P

:D
I assumed the layer would be non-solid, like in MC. ;)

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

ch98

by ch98 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 06:31

There needs to be something to stop people from digging to the bottom. Maybe teleport everything down near the bottom to top of the world and anything near the top to the bottom. Reason for this is because redcrabs server shut down at least 3 times as people was messing with the bottom. I hard that it was gravels falling below the bottom causing the server to get very confused, but I don't think it is good for game for there to be an bottom that looks like sky ether.
Mudslide mod Click Here

lunisol

by lunisol » Mon Aug 19, 2013 21:25

Hybrid Dog wrote:
Jordach wrote:
hammergil wrote:
The bottom of the world is walkable, if you believe it, I've been down there myself doing Mese mining, boy is there loads of it.
not if you /teleport 99999999999 9999999999 99999999

it never lets me teleport that far, I'm just floating in emptiness at that point. I've teleported to roughly 0,30900,0 and dug down to the bottom from there but the bottom is just an empty sky texture.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Tue Aug 20, 2013 15:49

endless world like minecraft would be better...

what are the differences of building world between minecraft and minetest?
why are the high and the deep so big ??!!
--------------------------------------------------------

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue Aug 20, 2013 16:02

cHyper wrote:endless world like minecraft would be better...

Minecraft isnt endless.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 16:39

PilzAdam wrote:

Minecraft isnt endless.

Minecraft is endless. However, there is a certain point where the algorithm goes wrong. It is about 820 flying time from spawn. You get very extreme lag, many things render wrong, and you have weird gullies and layers.
See this: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Far_Lands
Last edited by Dan Duncombe on Tue Aug 20, 2013 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Tue Aug 20, 2013 17:17

Dan Duncombe wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:

Minecraft isnt endless.

Minecraft is endless. However, there is a certain point where the algorithm goes wrong. It is about 820 flying time from spawn. You get very extreme lag, many things render wrong, and you have weird gullies and layers.
See this: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Far_Lands
That was fixed (accidentally) a long time ago. Now, the blocks beyond a certain point are "imaginary". You cannot interact beyond that point.
"Help! I searched for a mod but I couldn't find it!"
http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

BlauerEisRegen

by BlauerEisRegen » Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:39

minetest is a really great game, but the depth of the world is really tooo big. I think one hundred nodes under sealevel are enough, aren't they? And simply, It lasts too long to climb up from a really depth mine when you digged a really deep hole.
(sorry for my bad english)

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:51

BlauerEisRegen wrote:minetest is a really great game, but the depth of the world is really tooo big. I think one hundred nodes under sealevel are enough, aren't they? And simply, It lasts too long to climb up from a really depth mine when you digged a really deep hole.

Feel free to not mine below -100 then... There are also mods that add bedrock.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:53

BlauerEisRegen wrote:minetest is a really great game, but the depth of the world is really tooo big. I think one hundred nodes under sealevel are enough, aren't they? And simply, It lasts too long to climb up from a really depth mine when you digged a really deep hole.

I somehow understand your point.
But then again: nobody's forcing you to dig that deep. ;)

EDIT: Calinou was faster :D
Last edited by Mossmanikin on Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

webdesigner97

GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 19:55

Well, I think that the height of the minetest world is also good for mods which add completely new regions to the game, e.g. the Nether and plantets (check out paramat's mods)-
---
Du scheinst deutsch zu sein: Meiner Meinung nach ist die Höhe der Minetestwelt gut für Mods, die völlig neue Umgebungen zum Spiel hinzufügen, z.B. Nether oder Planeten (siehe die Mods von paramat).

BlauerEisRegen

by BlauerEisRegen » Tue Aug 20, 2013 20:02

webdesigner97 wrote:

Well, I think that the height of the minetest world is also good for mods which add completely new regions to the game, e.g. the Nether and plantets (check out paramat's mods)-
---
Du scheinst deutsch zu sein: Meiner Meinung nach ist die Höhe der Minetestwelt gut für Mods, die völlig neue Umgebungen zum Spiel hinzufügen, z.B. Nether oder Planeten (siehe die Mods von paramat).

Yes you're right. But isn't there a possibility to add the neither in an other way?
BTW. a Nether in the default game would be great!

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Tue Aug 20, 2013 20:12

BlauerEisRegen wrote:
webdesigner97 wrote:

---

Yes you're right. But isn't there a possibility to add the neither in an other way?
There are mods for that, and IIRC, there is no other way of adding another realm aside from that.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Wed Aug 21, 2013 02:41

In Minetest you could have a stack of roughly 30 realms each 2km tall ... you could generate impassable barriers between them and teleport between them as if they are other dimensions.
The advantage of Minetest is having the option of physically travelling to other realms instead of teleporting.
You could have a few 'teleport only' realms sealed away at the top and bottom of the world, and between them have a stack of realms reachable by physical travel: float lands, space stations, moons, alien planets ...
The Minetest cubic chunk cubic world system is therefore much more flexible and superior to MCs 16x16x256 vertical chunks, even though MC is larger in the horizontal.
The cubic chunks and world also express the 'cubic cosmology' of Minetest.
Last edited by paramat on Wed Aug 21, 2013 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
I rely on donations to help provide an income https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14935

BlauerEisRegen

by BlauerEisRegen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:58

Evergreen wrote:
BlauerEisRegen wrote:
webdesigner97 wrote:Well, I think that the height of the minetest world is also good for mods which add completely new regions to the game, e.g. the Nether and plantets (check out paramat's mods)-
---

There are mods for that, and IIRC, there is no other way of adding another realm aside from that.

but what about creating a second world like the original where the player can travel trough?
with a second loadscreen?

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:24

BlauerEisRegen wrote:
Evergreen wrote:
BlauerEisRegen wrote:Yes you're right. But isn't there a possibility to add the neither in an other way?

but what about creating a second world like the original where the player can travel trough?
That has been considered, but nothing has been done about it. Keep in mind, nothing is added into the game if it is stable and non glitchy.

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:43

Evergreen wrote:That has been considered, but nothing has been done about it.   Keep in mind, nothing is added into the game if it is stable and non glitchy.

makes sense...
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

sdzen

by sdzen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 16:01

kaeza wrote:
Evergreen wrote:That has been considered, but nothing has been done about it.   Keep in mind, nothing is added into the game if it is stable and non glitchy.

makes sense...

yep sounds right
[h]Zen S.D.[/h] The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

Evergreen

by Evergreen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 16:08

sdzen wrote:
kaeza wrote:

makes sense...

yep sounds right
Whoops, I meant to say "unless it is stable and non glitchy", not "if it is stable and non glitchy". However, that was a pretty accurate mistake. :P

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Thu Aug 22, 2013 23:31

BlauerEisRegen wrote:but what about creating a second world like the original where the player can travel trough?

That may be more effort than it's worth, and anyway, i've just explained how stacked realms between impassable barriers are essentially no different to a MC type nether / end system, and inherently much more flexible :)
I rely on donations to help provide an income https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14935

evyse

In-game: evyse

Re:

by evyse » Sun Oct 19, 2014 18:02

That is crazy and very awesome!

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

Re: endless?

by Dragonop » Sun Oct 19, 2014 23:20

Why people keep complaining about such deep, and such high? What's the problem? More play time? More awesome hidden buildings in the sky? Ether? Awesome mods? More ''infinite'' world? Awesome caves?
Minetest isn't a Minecraft copy. It's an engine, an ENGINE.

About ''bedrock'' It feels more epic to walk in the air than in a shiny stone.

Next

Return to Minetest General