endless?

Digit

GitHub: Digit
IRC: Digit
In-game: Digit

Re: endless?

by Digit » Thu Nov 12, 2015 03:07

i know there are other threads on this topic, tho i will respond to this one since there were suggestions of what should there be at the bottom...

how about mimic reality...

a deep deep ocean of lava at the botom. maybe a solid supreme diamond+++ deep deep within that. ^_^

or how about have a substance called turtlerock which takes longer than anything else to destroy ... each block will wear out the strongest tool, (~)and the user's inventory will become full of nothing but 99 turtleblocks (... and even when they are unpicked up, they look like a big turtle, blocking the ability to destroy the block underneath) (~)or just get one turtleblock, but it slows the user down by half. maybe even have the turtleblocks slow the user down by half each deeper layer of it too. and when you smash a turtleblock, you hear a faint echoey ghostly "what's under the turtle blocks?" "it turtles all the way down.".

combination of the above ideas.... (or not)
add a thick slow crust above the lava (/high pressure lava?!!!), that gets hotter and hotter, such that an unprotected player wouldnt last two seconds when close to smashing through. maybe even camerashake and rumbling when about to break through. ... high pressure enough to fill all your tunnels to the surface. ^_^

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Thu Nov 12, 2015 07:54

i don't think the effects you described are possible for the engine, but you can change the screen colour.
currently the screen turns blue or orange when the player is submerged into water or lava.
so i guess it is possible to tint the screen with a faint orange tone when the player is near the bottom.
for the lava lake, you can add a biome to the mapgen where every node is a lava source and set the height parameters to the world bottom.

tbillion

feeling jipped :(

by tbillion » Wed Dec 02, 2015 20:46

so in about 18 minutes flat i get to the absolute bottom (-30911) because i read somewhere that down here is 30% mese... what a jip there is the same amount of mese down here as there is anywhere else. and i segfaulted the server 3 times trying to get here...

orwell

GitHub: orwell96
In-game: orwell

Re: ENDLESS???

by orwell » Wed Dec 16, 2015 20:11

BlauerEisRegen wrote:but what about creating a second world like the original where the player can travel trough?
with a second loadscreen?

I remember a Minecraft Mod adding a sky realm (I think it was named Aether). That was a separate dimension. When you fell down from it, the game returned to the normal overworld (with a loadscreen telling "downloading terrain" in singleplayer mode) with the player falling down a few blocks directly above the Aether portal, independent from where he fell down in the Aether world. I think, Minetest has solved this better, since you can actually fall down.

Aside from that, adding separate dimensions would need a 4th save parameter for every MapBlock (or even a separate table), and I think that wouldn't be useful. And the whole API has to be restructured to accept this parameter!
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

Zachary

Re:

by Zachary » Sun Mar 19, 2017 04:36

PilzAdam wrote:
cHyper wrote:endless world like minecraft would be better...

what are the differences of building world between minecraft and minetest?
why are the high and the deep so big ??!!

Minecraft isnt endless.

Well it's true at certain point accept you will end up in the nether but you can't break bedrock in survival and creative you can't see the nether however if you look up in nether there will be some sort of bedrock depends where you teleported sometimes in most bottom in the nether also on the upper nether you could see bedrock hanging

Zachary

Re: Re:

by Zachary » Sun Mar 19, 2017 04:37

Zachary wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:
cHyper wrote:endless world like minecraft would be better...

what are the differences of building world between minecraft and minetest?
why are the high and the deep so big ??!!

Minecraft isnt endless.

Well it's true at certain point accept you will end up in the nether but you can't break bedrock in survival and creative you can't see the nether however if you look up in nether there will be some sort of bedrock depends where you teleported sometimes in most bottom in the nether also on the upper nether you could see bedrock hanging

Also you could use ender pearls to go above the nether but it is all pitch black and endless

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

endless? nothing is endless!

by cHyper » Fri Mar 24, 2017 13:14

minecraft for instance has:

"The map contains a world border at +/- 29,999,984 x/z" (PC EDITION)

"The Xbox One Edition and PlayStation 4 Edition's worlds can be up to 2500×2500."

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Fri Mar 24, 2017 13:19

Dragonop wrote:Why people keep complaining about such deep, and such high? What's the problem? More play time? More awesome hidden buildings in the sky? Ether? Awesome mods? More ''infinite'' world? Awesome caves?
Minetest isn't a Minecraft copy. It's an engine, an ENGINE.

but freeminer - more or less - and voxelands - thats a game - are not a simple ENGINE!!
but also are forks of minetest!
minetest alone is an ENGINE, but with mods, texturepacks, subgames you can do more as vanilla game offers you.

Previous

Return to Minetest General