Minetest GUI Mockup.

Gambit

Minetest GUI Mockup.

by Gambit » Mon Sep 23, 2013 07:40

GUI design for Minetest, using my texture pack and someone else's Minetest Logo (credit to Raiden) Haven't gotten to designing anything else at this point.

NOTE: There is no source codes or downloads anywhere relating to actual game/engine functionality. These images were designed on a graphic editing program and should only be seen as mockups. You can however get the .PSD free to download now for those who wish to tweak a bit of ideas around.

http://ubuntuone.com/4QssjI1yeqagoEeX3H8m4z
http://ubuntuone.com/3NEmueTLre7fk2cZWpr15N

License: WTFUW
Last edited by Gambit on Tue Sep 24, 2013 05:00, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

nolan

by nolan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:52

That is pretty cool!
Minecraft Came Out For The Ps3

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:19

This looks a lot like Minecraft to me.

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:33

oooo, does the Net World stuff work?
cause i would REALLY use the Map Size stuff :D
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:34

That design is better than minecraft's though.
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:36

PilzAdam wrote:This looks a lot like Minecraft to me.

if you dont like it then dont download it (when it gets released or something)
but i see that she (i think your a girl) worked hard on it, so dont hate or start criticizing on it.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:37

Zeg9 wrote:That design is better than minecraft's though.

it does, doesnt it :D
more cartoon-ish :D

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:04

PilzAdam wrote:This looks a lot like Minecraft to me.
Pilzadam, so basically you are saying anything remotely close to minecraft can't be good? Also, it doesn't have to have the blurred terrain in the background fi you don't want it to. I think it looks much nice than the ugly and boring default minetest menu.
"Help! I searched for a mod but I couldn't find it!"
http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:33

Evergreen wrote:I think it looks much nice than the ugly and boring default minetest menu.

it does, doesnt it :)
has a lot of taste to it

Casimir

by Casimir » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:40

PilzAdam wrote it looks like minecraft, and it does. There is no judgment in this statement.
To me it looks good, but I like the current Minetest menu too.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:47

Casimir wrote:PilzAdam wrote it looks like minecraft, and it does. There is no judgment in this statement.

^

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:55

but it doesnt look like Minecraft...
maybe only the blurred background. but nothing more

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Mon Sep 23, 2013 13:19

Ragnar wrote:but it doesnt look like Minecraft...

A list of things that are similiar to Minecraft:
  • the blurred background
  • the general layout with the name at the top
  • the gray background color of the menu with the white line at the top and dark line at the bottom (see MC's inventory)
  • the jingle under the name
  • the level of difficulty
  • (Im not sure, but I think MC has the tips/explanation too)
  • (Im not sure, but I think MC has a biome selection too)
  • the general pause menu layout ("Pause Menu" at the top and buttons in a vertical list under it)
  • texture pack selection in-game
  • achievements
These things are not 100% copied from MC, but they make me feel that its very similiar.

Again, there is no judgement in this at all.

Oh, and btw, why arent "Key Configurations" and "Audio Settings" in "Options"?

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 13:21

PilzAdam wrote:
Ragnar wrote:but it doesnt look like Minecraft...

A list of things that are similiar to Minecraft:
  • the blurred background
  • the general layout with the name at the top
  • the gray background color of the menu with the white line at the top and dark line at the bottom (see MC's inventory)
  • the jingle under the name
  • the level of difficulty
  • (Im not sure, but I think MC has the tips/explanation too)
  • (Im not sure, but I think MC has a biome selection too)
  • the general pause menu layout ("Pause Menu" at the top and buttons in a vertical list under it)
  • texture pack selection in-game
  • achievements
These things are not 100% copied from MC, but they make me feel that its very similiar.

Again, there is no judgement in this at all.

Oh, and btw, why arent "Key Configurations" and "Audio Settings" in "Options"?
No, Minecraft doesn't have biome selection, it doesn't have size selection, it doesn't have tips (at least on the pc version), and minecraft doesn't have an "extreme" difficulty.
"Help! I searched for a mod but I couldn't find it!"
http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

BlockMen

GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 13:34

Its looks good in general, but im not a fan of this toon style. Good work anyway ;)

And ofc it has the general structure of Minecraft, but so what?! This community must get rid of "oh no, minecraft". Imagine Minecraft would be a car, would we use for ours square wheels than, just to be not "like the other"?

EDIT: related to this topic: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=942
Last edited by BlockMen on Mon Sep 23, 2013 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 14:25

I may be possible to make this real & configureable, see this Irrlicht interface
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Mon Sep 23, 2013 14:53

BlockMen wrote:And ofc it has the general structure of Minecraft, but so what?! This community must get rid of "oh no, minecraft". Imagine Minecraft would be a car, would we use for ours square wheels than, just to be not "like the other"?

Another one who thinks that I have any kind of rating in my statement.
Do you see anyone here with the "oh no, minecraft" attitude? In fact, everyone started to argue against me. So the "oh no, minecraft" attitude is only in your imagination.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 15:14

Is there a download builtin/mainmenu.lua replace etc for this menu, or is it just a mock up?

Looks awesome.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Mon Sep 23, 2013 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

BlockMen

GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 15:15

PilzAdam wrote:
BlockMen wrote:And ofc it has the general structure of Minecraft, but so what?! This community must get rid of "oh no, minecraft". Imagine Minecraft would be a car, would we use for ours square wheels than, just to be not "like the other"?

Do you see anyone here with the "oh no, minecraft" attitude? In fact, everyone started to argue against me. So the "oh no, minecraft" attitude is only in your imagination.

Umm...i have said nowhere that there is a rating in your statement! Maybe re-read could help you to get that.

Evergreen wrote:Pilzadam, so basically you are saying anything remotely close to minecraft can't be good?

That can easily be interpreted as "oh no, minecraft" attitude. And lol, it was against you?? Why do you think they startet to argue against you here?

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Mon Sep 23, 2013 16:12

BlockMen wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:

Umm...i have said nowhere that there is a rating in your statement! Maybe re-read could help you to get that.

I dont see a point in posting what you posted when you havent interpreted anything into my statement. If you see just the statement "This looks like MC" without any rating (as I meant it) then your post doesnt make any sense.

BlockMen wrote:
Evergreen wrote:Pilzadam, so basically you are saying anything remotely close to minecraft can't be good?

That can easily be interpreted as "oh no, minecraft" attitude. And lol, it was against you?? Why do you think they startet to argue against you here?

I dont understand your point here.
Last edited by PilzAdam on Mon Sep 23, 2013 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

Gambit

by Gambit » Mon Sep 23, 2013 19:04

PilzAdam wrote:A list of things that are similiar to Minecraft:

Okay... (: Let me just start out that Minecraft doesn't have Advance Menu when creating a new world.

PilzAdam wrote:the blurred background

The blurring background helps the eyes to focus on the menu more. Either way, it can and should easily be changed just like any wallpaper which the background image really is. Also going full screen with an 800 x 600 wallpaper that's sharp is going to look ugly.

PilzAdam wrote:the general layout with the name at the top

Every game way before Minecraft has a title card, it's not only Minecraft. The only thing Minetest and Minecraft don't have that most games do have is "Press Start Button/Press Enter Key".

PilzAdam wrote:the gray background color of the menu with the white line at the top and dark line at the bottom (see MC's inventory)

It's a different shade of gray, also the white and dark lines are for dept so it doesn't look flat. The way the white line is on top while the dark on the bottom, but not on the sides. Minecraft's dept lighting is 45 degrees, the top and left of MC's menus is white while the bottom and right side is dark. Also MC has a nearly black outline around the whole menu which this one does not.

PilzAdam wrote:the jingle under the name

MC has there's in an angle, this one's parallel. Also it's not text base, it's part of the logo which can be swapped for the current one, an evolved version, or texture pack.

PilzAdam wrote:the level of difficulty

Some players want an easier game play while others want a challenge, let them have their options to set the difficulty to their needs. Also Minecraft doesn't have Extreme... which I should probably give you all a rough idea on what's about.

EXTREME-MODE: PvP enabled, Mobs Damage Players more, Faster Mobs, Slow Healing, Can only Heal with Fully Hunger, Fire Spread Enabled, Drowning Enabled, Achievements Enabled, Items Stack to 16 MAX, Auto-save CANNOT be Enabled, Sleep only at Night, Items Fall when Player dies. Food Poisoning Enabled, Longer Smelting Time, Rage Quitting destroys your items, Commands Disabled, Fall Damage slows player temporarily.

PilzAdam wrote:(Im not sure, but I think MC has the tips/explanation too)

Only the Xbox 360/One version has it, but either way it's to help new users and can be disabled anytime. The tips are also more annoying on Minecraft as it stops the game play to bug you, whereas this only hover at the bottom on the menu.

PilzAdam wrote:(Im not sure, but I think MC has a biome selection too)

No... Minecraft does not have this option what-so-ever.

PilzAdam wrote:the general pause menu layout ("Pause Menu" at the top and buttons in a vertical list under it)

A lot of games have this, it's nothing new from Minecraft. Besides, Minecraft is more like a brick pattern menu than what I have here. In Minecraft, the buttons are spaced out and you can still see the game inbetween them; this one has a background platform to sit on so you can't see between them, this is to help focus on the menu.

PilzAdam wrote:texture pack selection in-game

You've been here longer than I have, you know everyone wants this feature.

PilzAdam wrote:achievements

We don't really need them... but every game from PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 (trophies) and OUYA games have them now and since this game has no set goals, why not. There's no out-of-the-box story you have play first or anything. Also I wanted to design a menu for Story-Mode so creators can create their own Achievements for that story.

PilzAdam wrote:Oh, and btw, why arent "Key Configurations" and "Audio Settings" in "Options"?

For access reasons, unless you want to dig into the options menus to find "Key Configs" or "Audio Settings" and hit back multiple times. The "Options" are for additional... options that really doesn't fit or would have it's own category for the Menu itself like change the height of the clouds or the time speed, and other miscellaneous stuff.

This is just a rough idea and I have more ideas to come. With that in mind, it's all textures and if implemented, it can and should be allowed to be changed via texture pack.
Last edited by Gambit on Tue Sep 24, 2013 02:46, edited 1 time in total.

xyz

by xyz » Mon Sep 23, 2013 19:34

This is cool but please specify the license and post source files.

Gambit

by Gambit » Mon Sep 23, 2013 19:41

xyz wrote:This is cool but please specify the license and post source files.

It's a mockup. It's all done in graphic editing.
Last edited by Gambit on Mon Sep 23, 2013 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

xyz

by xyz » Mon Sep 23, 2013 19:52

Gambit wrote:

I'm talking about image sources. .psd/.xcf or whatever is it. Those files can have licenses, too.

Gambit

by Gambit » Mon Sep 23, 2013 20:06

xyz wrote:
Gambit wrote:

I'm talking about image sources. .psd/.xcf or whatever is it. Those files can have licenses, too.

Oh okay. I'll pick something out and post it later.

onpon4

by onpon4 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 20:36

I don't really care how the menus look as long as they get the job done. What I would really like are the options in the second mockup (and other options you currently have to edit in the config file to change).

For what it's worth, I like the icon method of selecting the game that was recently introduced better than a list or radiobuttons.
Last edited by onpon4 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

Gambit

by Gambit » Mon Sep 23, 2013 22:35

Download and License added.

nolan

by nolan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 23:33

PilzAdam wrote:(Im not sure, but I think MC has a biome selection too)

Gambit wrote:No... Minecraft does not have this option what-so-ever.

Im pretty sure MC had a way to change from flat to hily land.. thats all though i think.. sorry if im wrong i have not played MC for like a year and a half
Minecraft Came Out For The Ps3

JustinASF

by JustinASF » Tue Sep 24, 2013 03:25

This looks cool
and SLIGHTLY original

Gambit

by Gambit » Tue Sep 24, 2013 04:59

Here's another screenshot/mockup/aka - not real. It's the Sign editor GUI. This one is without the Hint Notification.

Download the .PSD in the First post.

Last edited by Gambit on Tue Sep 24, 2013 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Minetest General