PNG Settings

Morn76

GitHub: mdoege

Re: PNG Settings

by Morn76 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 00:00

christoferlevich wrote:Just "looked" at arch and I have to say, it 'looks' like an ancient BBS. I am going to play with arch for a bit and if I can't get it, I'll try something else... but I will try. Only because I want the cleanest server I can get, right?

Yes, unfortunately Arch has ditched their text mode installer (I think it looked a bit like the FreeBSD installer), so now installation is done via command line. But normally you only have to do it once per machine, as it is a rolling release distro.

You should probably install PkgBrowser from the AUR to get an overview about installed/available packages, package groups, etc.

But other than that, GUI sys admin tools are not really needed on Arch; pacman, makepkg, and perhaps yaourt (for easier installing from the AUR) take care of everything (and they don't spam the terminal with messages like apt-get).

Sample commands:
  • "pacman -S minetest-server" to install MT stable server from the official repo
  • "pacman -Rs minetest-server" to remove MT server (including any orphaned dependencies)
  • "yaourt -S minetest-git-leveldb" to install my MT git PKGBUILD from the AUR
  • "pacman -Syu" to update all packages (excluding AUR)
  • "yaourt -Syua" to update all packages (including AUR)

christoferlevich

by christoferlevich » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:28

TumeniNodes wrote:from what I am seeing, this is a fairly common issue under windows, (not specific to irrlicht)... explorer 6 had a big issue with this too I guess? At a time when most other browsers did not (go figure)... it's something deep in the binaries of hades/// :D

I think you're RIGHT! I remember the Explorer issues! And yes, I see the error (on win 10 machines) even on vanilla fresh installs.

I have been having issues learning the proper way to use imagemagick, but optipng did strip the files of whatever was setting off the errors. Now the issue is going to be using install packages that I've cleaned up or deal with the error, I guess.

christoferlevich

by christoferlevich » Wed Feb 01, 2017 21:25

Just an update... still playing with Linux but I used optipng to get rid of almost all errors. Still had a few but found them in the default images... well - sort of. I made a beginner's mistake when I initially started messing around with MT and I changed the default wool images to create blocks I now know how to make modding. Those files had errors, but I had forgotten I modified them. I'm confessing this to help the next 'yahoo' who comes along like me and thinks its a good idea to mess with default images. LOL. Don't do it.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Thu Feb 02, 2017 00:11

christoferlevich wrote:Just an update... still playing with Linux but I used optipng to get rid of almost all errors. Still had a few but found them in the default images... well - sort of. I made a beginner's mistake when I initially started messing around with MT and I changed the default wool images to create blocks I now know how to make modding. Those files had errors, but I had forgotten I modified them. I'm confessing this to help the next 'yahoo' who comes along like me and thinks its a good idea to mess with default images. LOL. Don't do it.

:D
Always best to simply leave default "default" and replace images via a texture pack (which does not mean one needs to do every single texture, just do what you like, and default images will kick in and cover the rest.
Or, create a mod and use the override function
Or, there are even other methods.

But I learned early on as you... don't mess with default images, straight up within the default directories themselves. :P

These "errors" are not actually "errors" either, they are simply a heads up. If the game still builds and loads fine, there are no actual "errors"

And I am still dedicated to my thought that those heads up you were/are getting are due to the way in which Windows handles or copes with libpng : )

All in all, glad you've been able to make some headway. "Keep on truckin'" (Willy Wonka
Flick?... Flick who?

christoferlevich

by christoferlevich » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:42

The matter comes down to learning on the fly. Right now, I am seeing our 'world' loading after about 30-60 seconds, while worlds on the minetest internet server load in 15-30 seconds. I think I need to trim down the number of mods I loaded. Still, 6 weeks ago when we started, it could take up to 2 minutes to load, and I had difficulties with more than 15 players at a time. Now we rarely have issues with the number of players and it is 'faster'. LOL.

Additionally, dozens of kids are using minetest at home now, which thrills me to see as many of them can't afford minecraft and they are being introduced to the open source world. (Teaching them GIMP as well. Blender was a bit too much.)

Previous

Return to Minetest Texture Packs