Medieval Castles for Minetest c55 0.4.4 - Updated 01-01-2013

CheerfulCherub

by CheerfulCherub » Fri Feb 14, 2014 01:32

Tried this today and, I didn't get any errors, just said no information, did I name it wrong, name it medieval castles. I really like to have this texture, but if not I got the John smith one and it's really nice to. I have the latest Minetest version, o.49.
Last edited by CheerfulCherub on Fri Feb 14, 2014 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Fri Feb 14, 2014 01:57

CheerfulCherub wrote:Tried this today and, I didn't get any errors, just said no information, did I name it wrong, name it medieval castles. I really like to have this texture, but if not I got the John smith one and it's really nice to. I have the latest Minetest version, o.49.

DO. NOT. BUMP. OLD. TOPICS.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Fri Feb 14, 2014 02:33

hoodedice wrote:DO. NOT. BUMP. OLD. TOPICS.

I'm not entirely sure scolding newbies for asking honest questions is the best way to attract and retain new players for MT. Might be more worthwhile to simply ask moderators to archive old threads as most forums do :-)
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Fri Feb 14, 2014 02:56

I didn't even see that he had a problem lol. Dude's been bumping old topics with stuff like "Tried it out, it's awesome". That disses me off.

Anyway,

For texture packs to work, unzip the zip file into your textures folder. There is no real need to rename it. Just open up minetest, switch to the Textures tab, and select the texture pack. Fire up your world and voila!
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

twoelk

by twoelk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:04

I fear it is not as easy as that. Here is a list of the textures inside this texture pack:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
cobble_bricks.png
default_apple.png
default_beam1_front.png
default_beam1_side.png
default_beam1_top.png
default_beam2_front.png
default_beam3_front.png
default_beam3_side.png
default_beam3_top.png
default_black_brick.png
default_blue_wall.png
default_book.png
default_bookshelf.png
default_brick.png
default_brick1.png
default_brick2.png
default_cactus_side.png
default_cactus_top.png
default_chest_front.png
default_chest_lock.png
default_chest_side.png
default_chest_top.png
default_clay.png
default_clay_brick.png
default_clay_lump.png
default_coal_lump.png
default_cobble.png
default_cream_floor.png
default_cyan_wall.png
default_desert_sand.png
default_desert_stone.png
default_dirt.png
default_fence_grain.png
default_floor_drain.png
default_furnace_front.png
default_furnace_side.png
default_giant_bricks.png
default_glass.png
default_glass2.png
default_glass3.png
default_glass4.png
default_glass5.png
default_grass.png
default_grass_side.png
default_gravel.png
default_gray_brick.png
default_gray_floor.png
default_gray_gravel.png
default_green_floor.png
default_iron_lump.png
default_junglegrass.png
default_jungletree.png
default_jungletree_top.png
default_ladder.png
default_lava.png
default_leaves.png
default_metal1.png
default_metal2.png
default_mineral_coal.png
default_mineral_iron.png
default_mossycobble.png
default_mowed_lawn.png
default_orange_gravel.png
default_papyrus.png
default_pillar1.png
default_pink_gravel.png
default_red_gravel.png
default_sand.png
default_sandstone.png
default_sapling.png
default_sign.png
default_sign_back.png
default_sign_wall.png
default_steel_block.png
default_steel_ingot.png
default_stick.png
default_stone.png
default_stone_fence.png
default_stone2.png
default_tnt_bottom.png
default_tnt_side.png
default_tnt_top.png
default_tool_mesepick.png
default_tool_steelaxe.png
default_tool_steelpick.png
default_tool_steelshovel.png
default_tool_steelsword.png
default_tool_stoneaxe.png
default_tool_stonepick.png
default_tool_stoneshovel.png
default_tool_stonesword.png
default_tool_woodaxe.png
default_tool_woodpick.png
default_tool_woodshovel.png
default_tool_woodsword.png
default_tree.png
default_tree_top.png
default_white_slat.png
default_white_stone.png
default_window1.png
default_window2.png
default_window3.png
default_wood.png
default_wood_beam.png
default_wood_roof.png
default_wood_wall.png
heart.png
sapling.png
sign.png
sign_back.png
sign_wall.png
steel_block.png
stick.png
stone.png
tree.png
tree_top.png

So yeah if you do throw the whole thing into the mintest/textures/ folder you get some "cannot read that texture format" message. You can extract the textures containing folder called "My-Textures" (maybe renaming it to something meaningfull like "midevilcastles") and put that into the mintest/textures/ folder. Now you can activate the textures in the minetest-textures-configuration-window but you will be missing some of the textures as seen in the screenshots. The "init.lua" defines some nodes not present in the current default "minetest-game" so similar to what smash said earlier you would have to patch in the definitions for:

default_beam1
default_beam2
default_beam3
default_black_brick
default_blue_wall
default_cream_floor
default_cyan_wall
default_fence_grain
default_floor_drain
default_giant_bricks

default_glass2
default_glass3
default_glass4
default_glass5

default_gray_brick
default_gray_floor
default_gray_gravel
default_green_floor

default_metal1
default_metal2

default_mowed_lawn
default_orange_gravel

default_pillar1.png
default_pink_gravel
default_red_gravel

default_stone2

default_white_slat
default_white_stone
default_window1
default_window2
default_window3

default_wood_beam
default_wood_roof
default_wood_wall

and others I might have missed.

So to get this thing to work with the current version (0.4.9.dev) of minetest this might have to be redesigned as mod adding some blocks and overriding some default textures.

I would really like to see these textures put to some use. Maybe this could be added to the castles mod, with some adjusting of the texture style. The more fotorealistic versions could be supported for a hd version.

As to the bumping, I guess it should be regarded as request to make this thing work again with the current Minetest version.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Fri Feb 14, 2014 14:40

I would favor having this texture pack turned into a mod, actually.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Fri Feb 14, 2014 16:56

hoodedice wrote:I didn't even see that he had a problem lol. Dude's been bumping old topics with stuff like "Tried it out, it's awesome". That disses me off.

If you didn't even read it, don't complain about it :-) This isn't a board for latest news only. There are plenty of valid reasons to post in an "old" topic. Mods, texture packs and such are not one-day-flies who'll get "bad" at the end of the current week :-) And some feedback is the only "payment" creators here will ever get.

twoelk wrote:I would really like to see these textures put to some use. Maybe this could be added to the castles mod, with some adjusting of the texture style. The more fotorealistic versions could be supported for a hd version.

That would be great! I don't use texture packs at all because my buildings have to look well with the default one. Some of these textures here are very fine and would be highly welcomed as building material.

Sorting out which texture might form a new node (perhaps you'd want to mix normal, cheap chests and those very decorative here) might be some work. Each new node will require a name, a description, and - worst - a receipe. Making those blocks not too expensive might help those new players who built less good castles (by at least replacing cobble with something else) and hopefully improve their creations.

Regarding how many nice new textures there are and how difficult non-conflicting receipes are, perhaps using my upcoming new trader mod (very lightweight rework of my mobf_trader, which is based on the trader from mobf - will not have any dependencys) might be an option. Instead of creating tons of craft receipes, just let a trader hand them out for cobble :-)

Twoelk: As an expert in castles, perhaps you could sort out these textures and turn them into blocks? Mods which might take them in might be - apart from the castle mods - darkage or an entirely new mod (regarding the amount of nodes, that might be best).
A list of my mods can be found here.

CheerfulCherub

by CheerfulCherub » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:27

hoodedice wrote:
CheerfulCherub wrote:Tried this today and, I didn't get any errors, just said no information, did I name it wrong, name it medieval castles. I really like to have this texture, but if not I got the John smith one and it's really nice to. I have the latest Minetest version, o.49.

I didn't mean to Bump and old topic, seems lately everytime I post something here, I done something wrong. Any was thank you all for responding and I do try to look these things up before I post I went to Minetest WiKi and the Internet and utube.
Again Thank-you.

CraigyDavi

GitHub: davisonio
IRC: davisonio or CraigyDavi
In-game: davisonio or CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:33

hoodedice wrote:

Why not bump old topics? As long as they are contributing to the thread it is fine.

If we tell people to stop bumping old topics and we also tell them to not create new thread and post on the right thread; where should we post?

If I wanted to discuss this texture pack I think this would be the best place to discuss it.

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Sat Feb 15, 2014 14:18

CraigyDavi wrote:
hoodedice wrote:

Why not bump old topics? As long as they are contributing to the thread it is fine.

If we tell people to stop bumping old topics and we also tell them to not create new thread and post on the right thread; where should we post?

If I wanted to discuss this texture pack I think this would be the best place to discuss it.
Right. Just be sure you aren't saying "It doesn't work" on a 2 year old texture/mod topic. :P
"Help! I searched for a mod but I couldn't find it!"
http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

CheerfulCherub

by CheerfulCherub » Tue Feb 25, 2014 21:22

I tried to get this to work on my minetest 0.49 dev Direct 3dx and I did what it say to do, place the textures in the texture folder, and the Init file in the mod folder and it still not working. There are no errors just not working. If I am bringing up and old topic I am truly sorry.

Cupcake_Kitty

In-game: Cupcake_Kitty

Re: Medieval Castles for Minetest c55 0.4.4 - Updated 01-01-

by Cupcake_Kitty » Sat Jan 28, 2017 19:35

I downloaded it and enabled it, but when I go into one of my worlds it doesn't show the texture pack, only the default texture. This also happened on my older version. I have 0.4.13 and 0.4.15 and I tried on both. Is there a bug in it?

Previous

Return to Minetest Texture Packs