Is there any limitations on textures?

RAPHAEL

Is there any limitations on textures?

by RAPHAEL » Wed Dec 07, 2011 18:34

Seems some textures I've been working on wont load and give the error they are too large. However other textures load fine. Sometimes even small textures wont load with the error they are too large.

Curious if there are official limits on textures concerning size and if so what are they. If not then could this be a bug?

Version: minetest-0.4.dev-20111204-1

EDIT: Corrected typo in title.
Last edited by RAPHAEL on Thu Dec 08, 2011 04:06, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

Menche

by Menche » Thu Dec 08, 2011 00:31

I think minetest 0.4.x needs different names and has a different folder structure for storing textures.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

cisoun

GitHub: cisoun
IRC: cisoun
In-game: cisoun

by cisoun » Thu Dec 08, 2011 00:42

IMO, the new texture system is a big mess. /o\
I prefer the old method which you only had to put all the textures in the data folder.
Not here for a while due to some troubles between my graphic card and Minetest.
Cisoun's Texture Pack | The Conifers Mod (deprecated) | Faenza icons for Minetest |
Website

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Thu Dec 08, 2011 04:08

Well I think that having ALL "default" textures (all the textures that come with the game other than mods) should be in one folder. I recall seeing a "default" mod and "legacy' mod each with their own textures.

However the issue I have is that seemingly random thing of the game saying the textures are too big. I've tried 256x256 and 128x128 and they randomly seem to not load with that error. Maybe a dev could shed some light on this?
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Fri Dec 09, 2011 17:31

That is because the game cancels further (down)loads 5 seconds after connecting to a server (or locally).
This timeout should be changed to 15 seconds IMO, and be skippable by pressing escape...
Last edited by Calinou on Fri Dec 09, 2011 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

dannydark

by dannydark » Sat Dec 10, 2011 03:51

do you also get this error message "ERROR[main]: draw_hotbar(): mainlist == NULL" spammed in your console?

as whenever I increase the textures above the default 16x16 I have similar problems as you, accept its mainly the skybox3 texture that fails to load for me. I use a 32x32px texture pack but the other thing that happens is at 71% completion on the loading screen it puts me in the game (with a black screen) and spams the console with the above error message for a few seconds.

I tried increasing the timer to 25secs to test, but that didn't seem to make any difference it always joins me into the game at 71% :S

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Sat Dec 10, 2011 03:54

dannydark wrote:do you also get this error message "ERROR[main]: draw_hotbar(): mainlist == NULL" spammed in your console?

as whenever I increase the textures above the default 16x16 I have similar problems as you, accept its mainly the skybox3 texture that fails to load for me. I use a 32x32px texture pack but the other thing that happens is at 71% completion on the loading screen it puts me in the game (with a black screen) and spams the console with the above error message for a few seconds.

I tried increasing the timer to 25secs to test, but that didn't seem to make any difference it always joins me into the game at 71% :S

Yea sounds like my issue.

dannydark

by dannydark » Sat Dec 10, 2011 04:24

I extended the delay to 45 seconds and this kind of worked, It got meant it took forever to get into the game but it stopped the console being spammed with "ERROR[main]: draw_hotbar(): mainlist == NULL".

However, for some reason it still fails to load the skybox3.png image :S yet every other texture is loaded fine, and the image file exists I've even replaced it out several times with other random images and it never seems to load it.

neko259

by neko259 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:40

Why doesn't it simply wait for the textures to download instead of having the delay?
Bitcoin donations: 18r66dJmUjwTmWRTFnorpGMzs8d4B8jzbw

Return to Minetest Texture Packs