SteamOS and SteamController?

octacian

GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

SteamOS and SteamController?

by octacian » Thu Aug 18, 2016 02:28

How hard would it be? SteamOS is after all based off Linux. I have a friend who'd like to put SteamOS on his xbox, and Minetest being available would really be something. I'm also considering building a "steam machine," IF MT can be made available.

Also, I heard that MT now supports console contollers, and am wondering, does it support the SteamController? That'd be really nice, because I can use that with Ubuntu.
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, Interchangeable Hands

Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

lisacvuk

GitHub: lisacvuk
IRC: lisac
In-game: lisacvuk

Re: SteamOS and SteamController?

by lisacvuk » Thu Aug 18, 2016 16:23

Simply compile it on your steam OS machine. As for the steam controller, even easier. It can bind to keyboard keys, right?
400 character limit? Am I writing a book?
I'm a Minetest player, 'learning' C++ and OpenGL, listening to Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Amon Amarth. Administrator on Craig's server. Likes cookies.
I live in Serbia.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 16:35

Minetest already support steamos, try the Ubuntu version. You may need to compile yourself

Minetest may support steam controller - it has generic controller support. But you'll need to try it out.

est31

by est31 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 06:40

Minetest should be possible to install on SteamOS, but its not on steam, so stuff will be a bit harder unfortunately.

First enable generic support to install packages from debian (maybe substitute jessie with testing, as testing may contain more up to date packages): http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamu ... 6114274132

Then do "sudo apt-get install minetest".

You should then be able to launch minetest with the "minetest" command.

About steamcontroller, there is generic joystick/gamepad controller support, but not for formspecs. SteamControllers _should_ work with that, but i haven't really tried it so I can't say yes or no.

If you want to do serious playing you'll need to either map the keys using antimicro or something similar, or connect a mouse which you use for the formspecs.

Also note that controller support is only present in git builds atm, and not inside the official debian package of minetest. If you want to try the native controller support, you need to get minetest from this ppa instead of official debian sources: https://launchpad.net/~minetestdevs/+ar ... ily-builds

Return to Minetest Builds