[Debian / Ubuntu] 1-line script: install Minetest Git

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

Re: [Debian / Ubuntu] 1-line script: install Minetest Git

by firefox » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:47

since the ppa package site for ubuntu based systems (i have linux mint) was not updated i tried to build the source code. i always use this method for "The Battle for Wesnoth" so i thought i know what to do, but the installation guide for minetest was difficult to understand. i tried to update minetest with "git" but after everything was loaded and "cloned" and the process finished i still had the 4.11 version. so searched the forums for help and found this topic.

it worked right away and it is fast and easy, too.
this code is super-special-awesome, make sure it does not get lost.

*praise* *praise*

+1
+10
+100

great XD

grey

Re:

by grey » Sun May 03, 2015 20:22

grey wrote:I am happy to say that this worked pefrectly in Elementary OS Linux as well! Fixing the problem of the repos always being terribly outdated.

Though I found that is did not work under Raspbian, it gave the following error:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
pi@groundbase ~/minetest-minetest-3da5669/bin $ ./minetest
Irrlicht Engine version 1.7.3
Linux 3.10.25+ #622 PREEMPT Fri Jan 3 18:41:00 GMT 2014 armv6l
No GLX support available. OpenGL driver will not work.
Fatal error, could not get visual.
Segmentation fault
pi@groundbase ~/minetest-minetest-3da5669/bin $

Normally the Raspberry Pi is more than capable of running 3D games, including Minecraft. Though I like Minetest a whole lot better than Minecraft. If anyone know's what I should do here, please tell me!

Alright, so I'm happy to report this works on Trisquel GNU Linux, and since there is a new and way more powerful Raspberry Pi out I will try it on that when I get one. Which hopefully will be next month.

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Thu May 28, 2015 12:59

For information, with Debian JESSIE :

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
quentinbd@LUNE:~/Bureau$ sudo apt-get install git build-essential libirrlicht-dev libgettextpo0 libfreetype6-dev cmake libbz2-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libxxf86vm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libluajit-5.1-dev liblua5.1-0-dev libleveldb-dev; cd /home/quentinbd/Applications/; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest.git; cd minetest/games; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game.git; cd ..; cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=1 -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1 -DENABLE_LEVELDB=1; make -j$(grep -c processor /proc/cpuinfo); cd ../bin; ./minetest; echo -e "\n\n\e[1;33mYou can run Minetest again by double-clicking \"minetest\" in the \"bin\" folder of the \"minetest\" folder in your home folder.\nYou can install mods in ~/minetest/mods, too.\e[0m"
[sudo] password for quentinbd:
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances       
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Package libjpeg8-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  libjpeg62-turbo-dev:i386 libjpeg62-turbo-dev

E: Package 'libjpeg8-dev' has no installation candidate
Clonage dans 'minetest'...
remote: Counting objects: 32874, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (9/9), done.
remote: Total 32874 (delta 2), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 32865
Réception d'objets: 100% (32874/32874), 33.92 MiB | 1.49 MiB/s, fait.
Résolution des deltas: 100% (22723/22723), fait.
Vérification de la connectivité... fait.
Clonage dans 'minetest_game'...
remote: Counting objects: 3954, done.
remote: Total 3954 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 3954
Réception d'objets: 100% (3954/3954), 3.04 MiB | 595.00 KiB/s, fait.
Résolution des deltas: 100% (1702/1702), fait.
Vérification de la connectivité... fait.

You can run Minetest again by double-clicking "minetest" in the "bin" folder of the "minetest" folder in your home folder.
You can install mods in ~/minetest/mods, too.

libjpeg62-turbo-dev:i386 libjpeg62-turbo-dev

E: Package 'libjpeg8-dev' has no installation candidate
Last edited by Minetestforfun on Thu May 28, 2015 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Thu May 28, 2015 14:22

Just substitute libjpeg8-dev with
libjpeg-dev in your one liner and all will be well :)
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Thu May 28, 2015 14:57

ExeterDad wrote:Just substitute libjpeg8-dev with
libjpeg-dev in your one liner and all will be well :)

I know, and it's not the problem... Debian jessie switch between packages without any action from me.

The problem is the initial script will need an update soon ;)

(PS : this is why i sayed "For information" in my initial post)

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Thu May 28, 2015 15:01

Minetestforfun wrote:(PS : this is why i sayed "For information" in my initial post)

Maybe I shouldn't be using my phone to read and offer help. I missed that. Sorry my friend :)
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Thu May 28, 2015 15:04

No problem, you're kind !

English isn't my mother tongue, maybe i misspoke my post...

Marshall_maz

In-game: Mazal

by Marshall_maz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 16:54

How do I completely purge minetest that was installed with this script ?
I installed it a long time ago when we were at 0.4.11 , now I can't get minetest updated at all.
This script doesn't update it , stays at 0.4.11
Adding the daily ppa also don't work. There it shows that latest daily installs but when running minetest this old
0.4.11 keep starting up.
Ubuntu 14.04.1

So how can I get the old 0.4.11 removed that this script installed so that I can get the latest dev via ppa working ?

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Mon Jun 22, 2015 17:41

Marshall_maz wrote:How do I completely purge minetest that was installed with this script ?
I installed it a long time ago when we were at 0.4.11 , now I can't get minetest updated at all.
Adding the daily ppa also don't work. There it shows that latest daily installs but when running minetest this old
0.4.11 keep starting up.
Ubuntu 14.04.1

So how can I get the old 0.4.11 removed that this script installed so that I can get the latest dev via ppa working ?

This script keeps the hidden .git repository that makes the Git SCM work. This way, you can just do this after opening a terminal:

cd minetest; git pull; make -j$(grep -c processor /proc/cpuinfo)

Marshall_maz

by Marshall_maz » Tue Jun 23, 2015 04:36

Calinou wrote:
Marshall_maz wrote:How do I completely purge minetest that was installed with this script ?
0.4.11 keep starting up.
Ubuntu 14.04.1

This script keeps the hidden .git repository that makes the Git SCM work. This way, you can just do this after opening a terminal:

Thanx , I assume this is to update it to latest ?

Dartmouth

IRC: pilino1234

by Dartmouth » Tue Jun 23, 2015 07:15

Marshall_maz wrote:
Calinou wrote:
0.4.11 keep starting up.
Ubuntu 14.04.1

Thanx , I assume this is to update it to latest ?

Yes, it will give you the latest version.

Marshall_maz

by Marshall_maz » Tue Jun 23, 2015 07:53

Just a suggestion , it might be a good idea to put that update command in post 1 also that players can see it easier.

dannyplaysminetest

In-game: Danny

by dannyplaysminetest » Wed Jul 22, 2015 13:27

Thanks for this nice and fast one-line installation build, today i woke up after having a dream getting a black screen with a error and a returncode 0 (the dream and error made no sense). Then i woke up i try to play minetest and it kept crashing for no reason right at the moment the game starts, even while i played for hours yesterday and nothing was wrong, i hate my life... delleted my worlds folder again starting from scratch, slim down the amounts of mods i use, lucky for me i kept the PixelBOX Texturepack wich i putted a lot of work into replacing many of the textures, however Thanks for this simple and nice solution to re-install minetest quikly with a one-line script with a Portable install option as wel (wich i need). ^_^

hb.operandi

In-game: Belle

by hb.operandi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 08:32

I've had to reinstall my distro twice now and both times were incredibly frustrating as the both i386 and amd64 deb files returned Wrong Architecture from any installer I used.

Both times this code has been my saving grace.

This time I had to remove
libluajit-5.1-dev

IDK if that's just me, or if there is an issue somewhere. Either way:

THANNNNNNKS!

EDIT: hmm... it didn't build the bin folder....gonna retry the whole code (with the lib) and see how it goes. Damn... never speak too soon
There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. Its knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties."

my other life
http://hboperandi.blogspot.com/

hb.operandi

by hb.operandi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 09:03

EDIT: hmm... it didn't build the bin folder....gonna retry the whole code (with the lib) and see how it goes. Damn... never speak too soon[/quote]

SO this is what it's returning...gonna keep trying, but if anyone sees this before I get it, lemme know what I'm doing wrong...
(Chromebook running Precise 14.04)
/home/bellatrix/minetest/src/server.cpp: In member function 'void Server::Receive()':
/home/bellatrix/minetest/src/server.cpp:2584:31: warning: 'peer_id' may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
/home/bellatrix/minetest/src/server.cpp:1026:6: note: 'peer_id' was declared here
[ 14%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/version.cpp.o
Linking CXX executable ../bin/minetest
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/4.6/../../../../lib/libleveldb.a(table_builder.o): In function `leveldb::TableBuilder::WriteBlock(leveldb::BlockBuilder*, leveldb::BlockHandle*)':
(.text+0x466): undefined reference to `snappy::MaxCompressedLength(unsigned int)'
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/4.6/../../../../lib/libleveldb.a(table_builder.o): In function `leveldb::TableBuilder::WriteBlock(leveldb::BlockBuilder*, leveldb::BlockHandle*)':
(.text+0x490): undefined reference to `snappy::RawCompress(char const*, unsigned int, char*, unsigned int*)'
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/4.6/../../../../lib/libleveldb.a(format.o): In function `leveldb::ReadBlock(leveldb::RandomAccessFile*, leveldb::ReadOptions const&, leveldb::BlockHandle const&, leveldb::Block**)':
(.text+0x354): undefined reference to `snappy::GetUncompressedLength(char const*, unsigned int, unsigned int*)'
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/4.6/../../../../lib/libleveldb.a(format.o): In function `leveldb::ReadBlock(leveldb::RandomAccessFile*, leveldb::ReadOptions const&, leveldb::BlockHandle const&, leveldb::Block**)':
(.text+0x392): undefined reference to `snappy::RawUncompress(char const*, unsigned int, char*)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [bin/minetest] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
bash: cd: ../bin: No such file or directory
bash: ./minetest: No such file or directory

From what I can tell, it's not installing it as /.minetest but just /minetest :/
There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. Its knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties."

my other life

Calinou

by Calinou » Sun Sep 20, 2015 09:32

hb.operandi wrote:From what I can tell, it's not installing it as /.minetest but just /minetest :/

This is intended. Else, you wouldn't be able to start the game without displaying hidden folders to access the game folder.

hb.operandi

by hb.operandi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 09:40

I had a problem similiar to that before...what I mean to say is that NO /.minetest was installed.

the error I keep getting is
EDIT: found the terminal error:
[ 14%] Built target GenerateVersion

Is there a way I can change the version. It says that it's 0.4.13-dev-452dflc

is there something newer? or more stable?

my other life

hb.operandi

by hb.operandi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:38

Le sigh

I'm just gonna lobotomize and update.

See y'all on the other side.

<#3

my other life

hb.operandi

by hb.operandi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:54

oh sweet merciful Calinou. Thank you for this code. My original post rings true once more.

Had to completely wipe my precise and go for trusty, but that also could just be coincidental. I had been messing around with stuff (nothing too bad but close enough for me to realize I skirted danger) and ended up with a 1 program not fully installed or removed and realized I probably messed around too much. It was just an easier solution to break it to the floor and start fresh.

I'm a smash it against the wall kinda girl Used to study architecture so this statement was literal at times.

So if nothing else I can say on a Samsung Chromebook armf 64-bit this code works like a dream.

Sincerely,
Belle

my other life

Hiradur

by Hiradur » Thu Oct 22, 2015 15:11

On Debian 8.2 I got this:

libjpeg62-turbo-dev

After replacing libjpeg8-dev with libjpeg62-turbo-dev I was able to build Minetest.

EDIT: Oops, has already been mentioned on the page before, sorry.

GreenIron7818

GitHub: GreenIron7818
In-game: GreenIron7818

by GreenIron7818 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 01:13

Hello All,
I must say in advance I am sorry if this post is out of order.
I am new to your forum and very new to linux.
I am running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in 64-bit on an AMD x4 640 CPU with 15gb ram.
I have installed and played with the game Minetest for a few days and have fell in love with it (I have had Minecraft for all most 4 years). Now since the switch to Ubuntu from windows my minecraft is so laggy but Minetest runs super, here is where my problems start.
1. My software center will only offers version 4.9 of minetest and I would like to get the newest version 4.13.
2. most of the code work I have found is dated and not working as listed, with me having no knowledge of how to work with on in linux I am so lost, but willing to learn.

What I need is someone to show (teach) me how to do things step by step.
Or show me where the information is already. Like I said I am very new to linux and now just enough to get in some deep water fast. LOL.

Thank you for your help.

Ivà

GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Thu Dec 17, 2015 19:27

@GreenIron7817, take a look here and ask anything that you don't understand:

https://launchpad.net/~minetestdevs/+ar ... ntu/stable

This page explains far better than I how to add a PPA in your system and how to upgrade it.
With this PPA installed on your system you'll get the last minetest stable release (0.4.13 at this moment).

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 21:55

Would it be possible to make one for Fedora?

Calinou

by Calinou » Sun Mar 27, 2016 22:40

benrob0329 wrote:Would it be possible to make one for Fedora?

Sure, I just need to have a reliable dependency list for Fedora. Simply put, I need to know which set of packages needs to be installed to make Minetest build, starting from a "bare" Fedora install.

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 23:29

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/ is a handy tool for finding packages.

Most lib* or *-dev packages end in -devel, and
sudo dnf install -y <packages>

Will work for Fedora 22+

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 03:11

I got this:

sudo dnf install -y gcc g++ irrlicht gettext freetype cmake bzip2 libpng libjpeg-turbo libXxf86vm mesa-libGLU libsqlite3x libogg libvorbis openal openal-soft openssl curl luajit lua leveldb; cd; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest.git; cd minetest/games; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game.git; cd ..; cmake . -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1 -DENABLE_LEVELDB=1; make -j$(nproc); sudo make install; minetest; echo -e "\n\n\e[1;33mYou can run Minetest again by typing \"minetest\" in a terminal or selecting it in an applications menu.\nYou can install mods in ~/.minetest/mods, too.\e[0m"

However is throws this at me:

-- Could NOT find OpenAL (missing:  OPENAL_LIBRARY OPENAL_INCLUDE_DIR)
-- Could NOT find VORBIS (missing:  OGG_INCLUDE_DIR VORBIS_INCLUDE_DIR OGG_LIBRARY VORBIS_LIBRARY VORBISFILE_LIBRARY)
-- Sound enabled, but OpenAL not found!
-- Sound enabled, but Vorbis libraries not found!
CMake Error at src/CMakeLists.txt:98 (message):
  Sound enabled, but cannot be used.

To continue, either fill in the required paths or disable sound.
  (-DENABLE_SOUND=0)

benrob0329

by benrob0329 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 03:36

Nvm, figured it out!

sudo dnf install -y gcc-c++ irrlicht-devel gettext freetype cmake bzip2-devel libpng libjpeg-turbo libXxf86vm mesa-libGLU libsqlite3x-devel libogg-devel libvorbis-devel openal-devel curl-devel luajit-devel lua-devel leveldb-devel ncurses-devel redis hiredis-devel gmp-devel; cd; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest.git; cd minetest/games; git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game.git; cd ..; cmake . -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1 -DENABLE_LEVELDB=1; make -j$(nproc); sudo make install; minetest; echo -e "\n\n\e[1;33mYou can run Minetest again by typing \"minetest\" in a terminal or selecting it in an applications menu.\nYou can install mods in ~/.minetest/mods, too.\e[0m"

octacian

GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

by octacian » Sun Apr 10, 2016 22:47

Thanks Calinou! This made everything easier!
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, Interchangeable Hands

Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

octacian

GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

by octacian » Tue Apr 12, 2016 02:12

This worked on both my laptop and my server, but I cannot figure out where to put mods. I have tried putting them in ~/.minetest/mods but this did not work, and on my server there is no longer a /usr/share/games/minetest directory. I have tried putting mods in the old directory which is showing on my laptop, but that does not work either.

Help would be greatly appreciated - my server depends heavily on mods and has now been down for almost 2 days.

My server is running Ubuntu Server 15.10 if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your help!
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, Interchangeable Hands

Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

Calinou

by Calinou » Tue Apr 12, 2016 09:38

endev15 wrote:This worked on both my laptop and my server, but I cannot figure out where to put mods. I have tried putting them in ~/.minetest/mods but this did not work, and on my server there is no longer a /usr/share/games/minetest directory. I have tried putting mods in the old directory which is showing on my laptop, but that does not work either.

Help would be greatly appreciated - my server depends heavily on mods and has now been down for almost 2 days.

My server is running Ubuntu Server 15.10 if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your help!

If you used the portable method, you should put mods in the Minetest installation folder itself, that is, if you didn't change anything in the script, ~/minetest/mods (note the lack of a period before "minetest").

If you used the non-portable method, you can use ~/.minetest/mods for an user-wide mod or /usr/share/games/minetest/mods (or /usr/share/minetest/mods, I don't remember) for a system-wide mod.

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Builds