Mod suggestion Play database

chrisjose1913

IRC: Hawksquawks
In-game: chrisjose1913

Mod suggestion Play database

by chrisjose1913 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 01:38

Hello Since joining minetest and also running a server, i have noticed a major flaw this game has. This relates to the client login system for server. The major issue is banning. even after banning a player they can easily return doing this is as simple as turning of your router and changing the IP and changing the player name. I have come up with an idea that will not prevent this completely but it will make it harder to do. So a player database would be a website player register on with a minetest login and password. this password and login name will be the same the use to login to servers running the player database mod. when a play connects the server will check against the players database if the login detail match an account on the database the player will be allowed in. if not well the player will not be allowed in. This system could also be used as a globe banning system server administrators will be notified when a specific player name has past bans. another feature in my idea will be to have player achievements logged on the database. Of ourse servers that do not run this mod players can join under the normal system used today I just thought i will post this perhaps to spark some brain waves out there.
Last edited by chrisjose1913 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Mod suggestion Play database

by rubenwardy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 01:47

The majority of devs, including c55 iirc, are opposed to having a centralised server like this.

This would be solved by having servers not give interact by default, and asking players to apply for interact in the forum.

benrob0329

GitHub: Benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 01:54

Or having options to either ban by IP, or ban by Username (or both)

chrisjose1913

IRC: Hawksquawks
In-game: chrisjose1913

by chrisjose1913 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 01:55

rubenwardy wrote:The majority of devs, including c55 iirc, are opposed to having a centralised server like this.

This would be solved by having servers not give interact by default, and asking players to apply for interact in the forum.

Well that's a shame, But as i suggested this would be an opt in system for server owners and perhaps even setup as a third party website that the mod links to.

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 09:39

Alienant1

In-game: alienant1 or alienant2

by Alienant1 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 17:14

I like that mod but I think that not granting interact immediately would be a problem on less well-maintained servers. I know OldCoder does that though.
Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Return to Modding Discussion