World climate system idea

Diamond knight

In-game: Diamondknight or diamond_knight

World climate system idea

by Diamond knight » Sat Jun 04, 2016 14:54

I all know what you are saying, impossible.

But my proposal uses coordiantes for the climate system

There will be a north pole and south pole (not actual pole blocks but coordinates) and an equator (coordinate based imaginary line running from one side of the map to the other) all in a nice distance from eachother, the worldedge mod will also be incorpirated. The poles and equator will be aqusted to not be messed up by the missing 100 blocks on each side provided by worldedge. There could also be an add on mod that is 30 biomes made compatible with this mod. The closer you get to the pole coordinates the colder the biome choice becomes. And the more chance to snow and the less chance to rain (using coordinate math functions) (weather also added by mod). The closer you get to equator the hotter the biome choices become and the more chance to rain than snow. (Maybe compatibility with the sunburn mod to add more veunerability to sunburn near the equator)
I can never get enough MESE!!!!!!!!!

my subgame: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11901

duane

GitHub: duane-r

Re: World climate system idea

by duane » Sun Jun 05, 2016 09:52

Diamond knight wrote:I all know what you are saying, impossible.

It would be trivial from the C code. All you have to do is replace the noise functions with functions based on location. Or you could just replace the temperature and let the humidity vary by noise. Of course, if you put the equator at zero, players will always end up spawning in the tropics, unless you override the standard spawn.

I'm not sure how you'd make it in lua (without completely generating the world). It would be simple to add to most mapgen mods though.

afflatus

GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:37

I have considered simply weighting heat and humidity values, which you could offset, so 0,x,0 could be in a temperate region, for example. I give the north-south axis temperature and east-west humidity, such that west is more humid than east. It would be ideal if these could be customised per world. This is do-able in Lua with a pure Lua mapgen, not sure how to integrate it with hardcoded mapgens. Duane I guess you would have a clue about this? As the entire 'world' is only @ 60km square creating actual 'poles' seems unnecessary.
Grailtest is sleeping ...

duane

by duane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 03:51

Here's the minetest code with the necessary changes to the valleys mapgen. Trivial:

https://github.com/duane-r/minetest/tree/duane

As you can see, the weather is hot where you spawn (0,0,0). Left frame is "noworld_climate", right frame is "world_climate":

and very cold up north:

I've also attached the actual patch.
Attachments
climate.patch.zip
(1.68 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
climate-02.jpg
climate-02.jpg (611.93 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
climate-01.jpg
climate-01.jpg (676.91 KiB) Viewed 1515 times

duane

by duane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 04:35

... and then I took a look at the main branch, and realized that the simple changes I made to my branch are completely useless. Biome handling is a lot more complicated now. I could probably fudge it, but noises are assumed from the bottom up in the latest changes, so I doubt I could manage to make it neat enough for the main line code.

Edit: In fact, the way things work now, the changes valleys makes to heat based on altitude are completely ignored for biome purposes.

Edit: No, I take that back. They do work. I just have to change the order the noises are generated in to get the latitude adjustment to stick. Good thing, since I can't fathom a lot of what the biome manager is doing.

Diamond knight

In-game: Diamondknight or diamond_knight

by Diamond knight » Mon Jun 06, 2016 21:28

how do i use that file, i used to mod zip files
I can never get enough MESE!!!!!!!!!

my subgame: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11901

duane

by duane » Tue Jun 07, 2016 01:04

Diamond knight wrote:how do i use that file, i used to mod zip files

It's a modification of the game. If you want to try it, download the zip file and follow the instructions in the readme file to compile it.

I'm not sure there's an easy way to do this as a regular mod.

afflatus

GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Fri Jul 22, 2016 16:57

Thanks for the patch duane.
Grailtest is sleeping ...

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

by philipbenr » Tue Aug 02, 2016 22:06

Pretty good idea. The whole thing about biomes is one that has been very annoying to me. I hate it when I am building a massive structure (kingdom), and the thing crosses into another biome, like snow.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Wed Aug 03, 2016 02:24

philipbenr wrote:Pretty good idea. The whole thing about biomes is one that has been very annoying to me. I hate it when I am building a massive structure (kingdom), and the thing crosses into another biome, like snow.

Depending on what I have in mind to build in a world, I push biomes around to suit my needs. Most of the time I completely remove snow biome.
Personally, I feel it makes more sense to set up biomes according to what your theme is going to be, whether in creative mode, or setting up a game.
If setting up a game, when you remove a biome, it also gives you the freedom to also remove some nodes associated to it, and introduce some new/alternate nodes.
This is what is so great behind Minetest, it is very flexible..., you are not restricted to what is there.
If I like, I can drop building with cubes and create a panel system to build with, change the biome, add more water, have no water....
Minetest almost literally invites/urges you to alter it to what you desire. I think sometimes, many seem to over look this when they become frustrated by engine limitations, when so much which is already available has yet to be explored.
Duane, I would love to see the cold biomes go by elevation.... To have warm climate to use, and then get colder as you climb higher into mountains, and snow appearing at higher altitudes.... perfect.
Flick?... Flick who?

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Sun Sep 25, 2016 05:29

This is excellent. Bookmarked! It'd be great if the climates affect the character too like thirst increases in hot climates and if you don't have the proper clothing you can freeze to death in cold climates.
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com

Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com

Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

Return to Modding Discussion