Suggestion: X-Ray (Like No-Clip)

UnifiedMinds

Suggestion: X-Ray (Like No-Clip)

by UnifiedMinds » Thu Sep 22, 2016 19:34

I've had a hard time finding caves underground by digging, yet the privilege of No-Clip offers a perfect view of all of the underground caves. My suggestion is to create a mod that is simply a tool for Technic that temporarily enables a No-Clip style view of the world, disabling the textures for the first objects that the player's camera looks at. This would not offer unfair advantages in finding ores since the result would look like No-Clip, instead of showing all of the ores and such. The power of this ability would require a rather short run-time for the battery charge so that it is balanced. I must admit that I don't know if this is possible, so any responses would be appreciated. Also, if this already exists, then please direct me to the thread. Thanks.

EDIT: Someone showed me this mod that does something very similar using blocks. Check it out.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10177
Last edited by UnifiedMinds on Fri Sep 23, 2016 04:36, edited 3 times in total.

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri

Re: Suggestion: X-Ray (Like No-Clip)

by Byakuren » Thu Sep 22, 2016 19:38

I don't think it would be currently possible. There's no way to "disable the textures" of nodes that would result in something like noclip groundvision.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

UnifiedMinds

by UnifiedMinds » Thu Sep 22, 2016 19:39

Byakuren wrote:I don't think it would be currently possible. There's no way to "disable the textures" of nodes that would result in something like noclip groundvision.

That's a shame. Now, I'm curious how no-clip view even works.

red-001

GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

by red-001 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 21:08

It works because the whole map is a single object as far as the rendering engine is concerned and there are only textures on the outside of the object. When you are inside the object there is nothing to render on the side that you're looking and the engine doesn't render things that should be obscured to save processing time.

UnifiedMinds

by UnifiedMinds » Fri Sep 23, 2016 03:05

red-001 wrote:It works because the whole map is a single object as far as the rendering engine is concerned and there are only textures on the outside of the object. When you are inside the object there is nothing to render on the side that you're looking and the engine doesn't render things that should be obscured to save processing time.

Logically, there should be a way to trick the engine into hiding textures "to save processing time."

EDIT: Okay, I realized the answer to my own question. It's the same as clipping into an object. It becomes transparent because there is no texture on the inside layer of it. In no-clip, I can see the caves because it's like clipping inside a person and seeing their arm reaching out in front of them. I'm actually wondering if the game even hides any textures during no-clip. What's likely is that they are still rendered but cannot be seen from the back-side/inside. I've noticed that the processing efficiency during no-clip doesn't increase. The only way to create this type of x-ray feature, then, would be with some serious programming magic that adds a texture hiding feature that doesn't actually exist.

UnifiedMinds

by UnifiedMinds » Fri Sep 23, 2016 03:40

Here's a thought: the game separates the textures of the world by chunks and such. What if that system was used to hide the chunk (or smaller segment) that I'm in? Then, the effect of the no-clip x-ray would be achieved. I know that something like this is possible due to Minecraft chunk-loading errors where I could actually see through the ground and look at all of the caves below.

Naj

GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: naj

by Naj » Fri Sep 23, 2016 09:33

Have a look at that : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10177

UnifiedMinds

by UnifiedMinds » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:17

Naj wrote:Have a look at that : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10177

Yep. Check the edit on the first post. It works, but I get an error where the skybox turns black while underground. It makes finding caves rather hard since they're also black.

Naj

GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: naj

by Naj » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:16

Mmmh.. Interesting.
If you enable noclip, even without privileges, it may change sky color.

And anyway, you have the minimap to find caves.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Mon Sep 26, 2016 20:51

xray mod exists. a bit slow on end but works
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Wed Sep 28, 2016 07:24

If your head (playerpos.y += 1.625) sticks in a drawtype "normal" node without noclip, the screen is set to black.
Mods can offset the camera position, so maybe if your head does not stick in such a node but the camera position is changed to e.g. the node below your feet, the screen is not set to black and you get the all-seeing behaviour.
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... .txt#L2864

UnifiedMinds

Re:

by UnifiedMinds » Wed Sep 28, 2016 08:16

Hybrid Dog wrote:If your head (playerpos.y += 1.625) sticks in a drawtype "normal" node without noclip, the screen is set to black.
Mods can offset the camera position, so maybe if your head does not stick in such a node but the camera position is changed to e.g. the node below your feet, the screen is not set to black and you get the all-seeing behaviour.
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... .txt#L2864

Thanks for contributing. That's some great info.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:01

that very clever.
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

Return to Modding Discussion