"Mailing" builds on servers.

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

"Mailing" builds on servers.

by ABJ » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:35

Hello
Just got this idea from Hybrid Dog's generating fitting schematics instead of screenshots thread.
How about a feature where you can get builds from a server "mailed" to you? Like an admin with a certain priv can use a worldedit-like way to select areas to save as schematics, and then get a player to use a command to save it to the player's system.
And also schematic-ed areas can be marked on the server and the schematics updated according to what new changes have come. And players can use a command to save it at it's current state to their system.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

Re: "Mailing" builds on servers.

by Calinou » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:36

enable_local_map_saving = true lets you save a remote world to play it later in singleplayer. It will save only the visited areas though.

Any willing administrator may give you the .mts files.

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

by ABJ » Fri Jul 10, 2015 15:25

OK, but I was just looking for a more easy and fast and on-the-spot way of doing it.

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Sat Jul 11, 2015 05:31

ABJ wrote:OK, but I was just looking for a more easy and fast and on-the-spot way of doing it.

It is the easiest and fastest way, that is to enable mapsaving. Then one could do offline work on own to.e with archive.

I do lime yout idea with real time updating, like CAD updates.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:25

I've wished for such a feature for a long time as well. But in the end, most buildings are embedded in their environment anyway, and thus saving the entire map is usually most helpful. Mailing the buildings could still help less experienced users. It might work in combination with other mods that can provide the (verified) email address of a player. Redcrab's way of getting access on his server might be helpful there. To my knowledge, he hasn't released that mod.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Return to Minetest Features