Navigational tool

alejandroautalan

Navigational tool

by alejandroautalan » Fri May 11, 2012 08:38

Hi all. I'm new in minetest and I never played another similar game (like minecraft).

How big are the maps? Some times I get lost and can't find my home (lol).

My request is to add some sort of navigational tool. For start could be a simple compass indicating the north.
Then add some kind of magnetic lump to make a magnetic block. When the player release the block, it will act as becon and shown in the border of the compass (now acting as a radar) like in some old games. That will help to locate places that the player wants to come back.

I have read that there is a command /teleport but that requires a privilege.

Well that is the idea. Comments ? (sorry for my english)
Regards.

NakedFury

by NakedFury » Fri May 11, 2012 19:39

Map dimensions: +- 31,000 in each direction.

InfinityProject

by InfinityProject » Sat May 12, 2012 00:57

Change the .conf to get teleport and just write your coordinates somewhere. But that would be awesome. Dont think it's possible yet though, but I'm not a modded do I don't know;)

Archerexes

by Archerexes » Sat May 12, 2012 09:24

alejandroautalan wrote:Hi all. I'm new in minetest and I never played another similar game (like minecraft).

How big are the maps? Some times I get lost and can't find my home (lol).

My request is to add some sort of navigational tool. For start could be a simple compass indicating the north.
Then add some kind of magnetic lump to make a magnetic block. When the player release the block, it will act as becon and shown in the border of the compass (now acting as a radar) like in some old games. That will help to locate places that the player wants to come back.

I have read that there is a command /teleport but that requires a privilege.

Well that is the idea. Comments ? (sorry for my english)
Regards.

Sooooo...

you mean like a mini map or an arrow in the top-left had corner pointing towards a set position or just spawn , I would find that useful as well XD
Last edited by Archerexes on Sat May 12, 2012 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
( • ^_^ • )

ING = Archerexes

streondj

by streondj » Thu Dec 06, 2012 05:25

I think it would be great even if you could simply get your present position, that way could find out friends position and walk towards them. I use the server output from picking at stuff to figure it out, though it would be great to have the co-ordinates in game, would be a lot easier.

In terms of north and south, I'm pretty sure the sun and moon move east to west.

I wouldn't mind if we had some control over map size also, my netbook finds it tough with that 31,000 in each direction.

Topywo

by Topywo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 08:47

streondj wrote:I think it would be great even if you could simply get your present position, that way could find out friends position and walk towards them. I use the server output from picking at stuff to figure it out, though it would be great to have the co-ordinates in game, would be a lot easier.

In terms of north and south, I'm pretty sure the sun and moon move east to west.

I wouldn't mind if we had some control over map size also, my netbook finds it tough with that 31,000 in each direction.

Press F5 and at the left upper corner of your screen you will see 3 digits. First is N/S second Up/Down, third E/W.

It uses 0,0,0 as a starting point. N/Up/E are represented with positive digits. S/Down/W are represented with negative digits.

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Thu Dec 06, 2012 09:41

streondj wrote:I think it would be great even if you could simply get your present position, that way could find out friends position and walk towards them. I use the server output from picking at stuff to figure it out, though it would be great to have the co-ordinates in game, would be a lot easier.

+1

Anyway what I use on my friends server is a mix of:
http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3100
and
http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3812

Simple and to the point. Covers home mine and build. Otherwise noting coordinates via the F5 key is the next best way to go. I have lost many a remote house due to misplacing coords to it.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Thu Dec 06, 2012 13:21

what about the compass-mod:

Compass
--------------------------------------------------------

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Thu Dec 06, 2012 13:24

cHyper wrote:what about the compass-mod:

Compass

I personally didn't have much luck with the compass mod, it crashed the server on user logout for me.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

Echo

by Echo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 20:49

RAPHAEL wrote:I personally didn't have much luck with the compass mod, it crashed the server on user logout for me.

I updated my mod so it doesn't crash the server anymore.
Next time it would be nice if you just leave a message in the topic, so the author knows about the problem and can fix the bug.

Return to Minetest Features