NodeBox Rotations

Vazon

IRC: Vazon
In-game: Vazon

NodeBox Rotations

by Vazon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 03:09

So I have been messing around with a few things like stairs and slabs. I have come across a issue I think would make stairs/slabs look much nicer in game if fixed.
It seems on stairs that use on_place = minetest.rotate_node and parameter = "facedir" it rotates the NodeBox and the textures which causes the textures to never flow nicely and makes stairs a extreme challenge to use in some complicated builds because the textures don't face right.
Slabs have different while similar issue, when the slab is placed on the floor its fine the texture match's the bottom half of the parent node ( stone brick, stone brick slab ) but when the slab is placed on the bottom of a node or the top half of the parent node it still uses the bottom half of the texture and this can be very frustrating because if you are using slabs to cover holes or make abstract builds with slabs and the parent node they will never line up and just mess up your whole design.
I think it would be extremely helpful to set it where the textures do not rotate with the Nodebox with stairs and slabs use the correct part of the parent block.

Hope this gets taken seriously it will help a lot of builders :)

Sokomine

Re: NodeBox Rotations

by Sokomine » Tue Sep 23, 2014 03:12

That particular problem is especially annoying when using brick slabs/stairs. The mismatched textures are quite visible there.

I don't have any idea how this may be solved. Not rotating the textures might not always be a solution.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Vazon

by Vazon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 03:19

Sokomine: With most nodes that can make stairs/slabs, the textures are the same all the way around in Vanilla with a few excepts so this shouldn't be a problem. Plus as long as the nodes themselves do not rotate the stairs/slabs should always match the parent.

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Tue Sep 23, 2014 08:19

The problem is both "stairs" and any other random combination of nodeboxes are treated the same. For some nodes, rotating textures with the node makes sense, while for others it creates the ugly effect you're describing.

For example, take the laptop in my computer mod; the textures are not symmetric, so if the textures do not rotate with the model, it looks very bad.

It could be nice to be able to specify in the engine which textures are meant to be rotated, and which aren't, but it wouldn't be an easy thing.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

Vazon

by Vazon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 01:16

kaeza wrote:The problem is both "stairs" and any other random combination of nodeboxes are treated the same. For some nodes, rotating textures with the node makes sense, while for others it creates the ugly effect you're describing.

For example, take the laptop in my computer mod; the textures are not symmetric, so if the textures do not rotate with the model, it looks very bad.

It could be nice to be able to specify in the engine which textures are meant to be rotated, and which aren't, but it wouldn't be an easy thing.

Then maybe break the rotation settings like parameter = "facedir" and on_place = minetest.rotate_node in to separate parts like parameter = "facedir" node box and textures and parameter = "nodebox_facedir" rotate just the node box same goes for on_place = minetest.rotate_node. and the nodes that will just look bad with these settings have the other parameter type in stairs, it wouldn't be that hard to add to stairs just add a different list of nodes to look for and copy the code for stairs and just switch the parameter out.

Return to Minetest Features