territories and personalised storage

marvalis

territories and personalised storage

by marvalis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 13:33

Hello,

1)Territories

It seems like this game needs some kind of protection from vandalism. My suggestion is to give each player *one* territory flag. This flag would give the blocks around it within a certain distance the property that they cannot be destroyed by anyone except the person the flag is flagged for. Flag cannot be placed closer than 'x 'to each other to prevent overlap.

The area should not be huge, but big enough for a home. Sadly this would not be big enough for a mega-structure.

Optionally, the area could expand out or shrink with time and player activity (keeping a minimum size at all times to protect the home). For example, a player who is active for a long time (does not mean he has to log in every day, but occasional over a long time, months, years) would see his protected area grow (you can toggle your view to see the protected area's - view toggle is another feature that would work nice here). With diminishing returns, there would be a soft cap on how big this area would be. optionally the area would shrink when the player has not logged in for a long time, but restore when he logs back in (and even grow a bit since at this moment he has been active for a long timespan). All this would depends on the actual distance between flags and so on.

Ideally, the game should be able to track the activity of a player in an area with the relative distance to his flag. If the game knows that a players build something close to his flag, the game could protect that from destruction with the message 'you cannot dig or build here'. The protected area should probably always be spherical. For example, if within a certain sphere within 30 squares of his flag the player has edited more than 1/3 of the blocks, then the entire sphere with radius 30 would be protected.

Flags are crafted for additional awesomeness (only 1 each player).

2) Personalized storage

These storages should be made from rare materials and/or should be limited in number for each players (lets say 2-3 personalized chests).

Two types:
* Personalized chests
This chest can only be accessed by the person who made it. Can only be destroyed by the player who made this.

* With a lock
Locked storage could have a number combination and is accessible to anyone who knows the secret code. Cannot be destroyed without the code. Cannot be destroyed when not empty.
Last edited by marvalis on Mon Jun 20, 2011 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

neko259

by neko259 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 13:45

Storage with locks seem good, but personalized terrirories are dangerous. Because a player can define a large territory as his and leave your server. Then that territory will never be used. I think some kind of magic can be added. For example, a player with enough 'mana' can define a small territory (depends of how much mana he uses) as his. Then he will lose some mana if he isn't building or using his territory, and acquire mana for using it. The most active builders will have more mana and could protect bigger structures :)
Bitcoin donations: 18r66dJmUjwTmWRTFnorpGMzs8d4B8jzbw

marvalis

by marvalis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 14:01

The 'mana' thing is interesting, suppose that you gain some mana (or whatever) each time you build or gather a block. For example, 1 point for gathering, 5 points for building. That could be used for multiple actions, and would allow the game to track player activity with one easy number: total 'mana' gained.

Then we have 2 player flags:
* total mana gained
* total spend
And one value that calculated by doing: gained-spend=current
* current mana

Each 'spell' would cost mana, and it become stronger depending on how much 'spellpower' you have. Spellpower would be a value in function of total mana gained. Area protection spells would have a duration to balance things out.

Remember, territories can be small, and the world can be huge (infinite). I still think a territory of say 10x10x10 would be easy to code and should not be a problem in terms of space. Just make them small at start, and then if they are balanced make them a bit bigger. Also, if the size of the territory is 10 and it cannot be placed within 100 blocks of another flag, then that means 90% of the world will always be changeable.

For a more robotic theme, territory flags could be called 'field generators'. The would generate a visible shield around that area so other players can see that it is a protected area.

Another idea is visible markers with no gameplay effect, but used to 'mark' area's so other players know where not to dig.
Last edited by marvalis on Mon Jun 20, 2011 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

spongie

by spongie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 14:14

I've been thinking about all these things.

1) Territory. My idea was to add currency to the game in the form of (tada!) gold. The idea is that you can craft gold to "meta" materials like flags and what not.
The sollution to having abandoned territories would be to have a limited duration of activity for the owner.
However, I'm not completely satisfied with the blueprint for territories so far, I think it needs to be more refined before I start a prototype/alpha implementation.

2) Personal chests. Yes, I was thinking of doing this together with key items. Not exactly sure how yet, but otherwise this shouldn't be too hard code-wise.

I'm going to read your suggestions and feedback while pondering a good, simple sollution to both these features, eventually I will implement it.

neko259

by neko259 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 14:15

Adding mana to the game would allow to create various new actions. For example, flying could spend mana, healing, creating portals etc. Linking two portals could spend mana depending on the distance between them.
Bitcoin donations: 18r66dJmUjwTmWRTFnorpGMzs8d4B8jzbw

bahamada

by bahamada » Mon Jun 20, 2011 14:17

Return to Minetest Features