Bookshelves...

What you you bookshelf format do you prefer?

Old ones (1st image)
37%
New ones (2nd image)
26%
I would prefer both to be included
37%

Total votes : 19

philipbenr

GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: WisdomFire or philipbenr

Bookshelves...

by philipbenr » Sat Jun 18, 2016 21:00

Really?

OK, I know that complaining will not help Minetest Game move forward... but still. IMHO, the swap-out of the bookshelves was kind of a bad idea.

For those that aren't running latest git, the MT team (likely) excepted a pull request that changes bookshelves from having a wraparound books to only having books on one side.
Went from this:

To this:

Now, I understand the rationale... There should be an end to it somewhere, but I have always done something like this:

This allows you to put signs and torches and other wall-mounted objects on all sides at the end. Plus, it just looks natural to have something like that on the end. Here is another reason I like the old bookshelves:

I do a lot of this, especially bookshelf pillars. This kind ruins it. Anyway, vote in the poll on what you think should be done/should have been done.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

Re: Bookshelves...

by TumeniNodes » Sat Jun 18, 2016 21:14

I like the one side. That is how I changed it when I started with Minetest. But if the vote is split almost 50/50 then maybe books on 2 adjoining sides would be rational? 2 closed sides, 2 open. And I am running 0.04.14 and something must be wrong because now (since I updated) it is back to all sides (which I need to fix again)
Flick?... Flick who?

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Sun Jun 19, 2016 00:26

I am always running latest git, that includes minetest game.

And the two adjoining sides would probably be more of a headache... It would make placement a little harder, and the tops of the bookshelves non-contiguous. Something like this: | | | | | | | -- At the end, the wood would change direction.

More than one option would be the best, but that is likely the least probably one due to the developers' nature... *shrugs*

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Sun Jun 19, 2016 01:38

It was a PR made by one of the MTGame team. The new bookshelves are open on 2 sides, not 1.
The new nodes do not prevent your 3rd screenshot, how could they?
We were aware this would mean some pain and rotation of nodes in your builds, so sorry for that, we decided the improvement was worth it.
Having the old version as a second node is unlikely because deep shelf openings on all 4 sides is impossible and makes the node look weird and fake because of this.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Sun Jun 19, 2016 02:19

As for the 3rd screenshot, that is what I used to do earlier when the new bookshelves were not in place.

But the deep bookshelves is true... Maybe having a nodebox/mesh would help alleviate the 2D issue... But that is up to the developers.

What about this:

Also, the problem of limited "real estate" might be able to be solved by the same idea behind connected glass, except without the 3D behavior. Or maybe included with the 3D mesh/nodebox. TBH, since the books are rectangular, a nodebox would look the best, while be compatible and lighterweight. The only real issue would be with a library, and all the nodeboxes... A minor issue though.

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Sun Jun 19, 2016 03:14

As i said, you can acheive your 3rd screenshot with the new bookshelves.

A good design for openings on all sides is to have the shelf only on the left (or right) half of each face.

philipbenr

by philipbenr » Sun Jun 19, 2016 04:00

Yes, but the biggest issue is that sometimes the corner is nice.. Part of the reason why I am complaining.

Two different nodes would be great. I might go make a meshnode to use.

programmingchicken

GitHub: ProgrammingChicken
IRC: gamer chicken
In-game: gamerdude

by programmingchicken » Tue Jun 21, 2016 13:52

Minecrap doesn't care, why should we?
or we could have multiple shelf nodes, since we have too many anyways.
I'm bold. I'm sarcastic. I'm PChicken.

Return to Minetest Features