Economy

John_Ianson

Economy

by John_Ianson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 22:19

There should be an in-game economical system where you can set areas to act like shops and pay others (whether it be NPCs or other players) to act as "workers". The "workers" get rewarded gold, which they can use to purchase new items, by performing a certain amount of work. The gold would be removed from the shop owner's inventory. Also, you should be able to designate your own form of currency (For example, Player A uses Flowers as currency while Player B uses wood.), which can be traded to other players for a customized exchange rate (Player A demands 10 Wood for 2 Flowers. Player B wants 3 Iron for 1 Flower.). Anyway, I just think that this would be a cool feature to implement.
I've never met my biological parents, lost many friends, been beaten to an inch of my life, received death threats, and been expelled from High School, among other things. And if I can get through ALL that, I'm PRETTY SURE that you have ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for half-assed coding.

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Mon Apr 02, 2012 23:20

I agree, this would be awesome
My mods: The Nether | Doctor Who (WIP)

I have quit minetest ... again. I am heavily unimpressed by both the game and the community.

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 06:10

+1
jordan4ibanez had this Idea before and i also liked it ^^
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Tue Apr 03, 2012 06:22

Since you want a bartering system, you don't need a mod or feature, just have a server where that's the theme. I thought you meant like a coin purse in your inventory where it automatically keeps track of your coins and removes them when you buy something. And everyone used coins. And you can't modify the coin purse.

John_Ianson

by John_Ianson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 07:10

bgsmithjr wrote:Since you want a bartering system, you don't need a mod or feature, just have a server where that's the theme. I thought you meant like a coin purse in your inventory where it automatically keeps track of your coins and removes them when you buy something. And everyone used coins. And you can't modify the coin purse.

I want both. Bartering for trades between players and a coin system for buying items from shops. The bartering system would be for players who want to lend a helping hand to others, while getting something in return. The coin system would be for business minded players who want to make a quick buck. Perhaps the items could be brought to a "treasury" where they get turned into "money" (Combine the bartering and the coin system.) and the items get deleted from the player's inventory? The "money" can then be used to buy shop items. I don't know though. I'll let you guys figure it out. :)
I've never met my biological parents, lost many friends, been beaten to an inch of my life, received death threats, and been expelled from High School, among other things. And if I can get through ALL that, I'm PRETTY SURE that you have ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for half-assed coding.

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 07:18

there something extremely similar to his for "minecraft" , its the merchant mod, does EXACTLY what your describing. and it lags BIG time. so its a cool idea just not realistic. let try and remember here that one of the reasons minetest was made was so people with older graphics cards could get in on the fun. that being said its not a high-performance program driven by a team of dedicated users and devs like "minecraft". it is growing and has some advantages and short-coming but over all i give Minetest C-55 a 4/5:D and i own minecraft^_^
Keep calm and code python^_^

jordan4ibanez

GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:07

John_Ianson wrote:
bgsmithjr wrote:Since you want a bartering system, you don't need a mod or feature, just have a server where that's the theme. I thought you meant like a coin purse in your inventory where it automatically keeps track of your coins and removes them when you buy something. And everyone used coins. And you can't modify the coin purse.

I want both. Bartering for trades between players and a coin system for buying items from shops. The bartering system would be for players who want to lend a helping hand to others, while getting something in return. The coin system would be for business minded players who want to make a quick buck. Perhaps the items could be brought to a "treasury" where they get turned into "money" (Combine the bartering and the coin system.) and the items get deleted from the player's inventory? The "money" can then be used to buy shop items. I don't know though. I'll let you guys figure it out. :)

that's a good idea!
If you can think it, you can make it.

John_Ianson

by John_Ianson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 14:16

Death Dealer wrote:there something extremely similar to his for "minecraft" , its the merchant mod, does EXACTLY what your describing. and it lags BIG time. so its a cool idea just not realistic. let try and remember here that one of the reasons minetest was made was so people with older graphics cards could get in on the fun. that being said its not a high-performance program driven by a team of dedicated users and devs like "minecraft". it is growing and has some advantages and short-coming but over all i give Minetest C-55 a 4/5:D and i own minecraft^_^

Minecraft is also written in a higher level language (Java), and if my computer knowledge isn't bad as I think it is, lower level languages (C++) are more efficient, thus, we could build a more efficient algorithm to do this, with little to no lag. It's all about code optimization. Or... (And I'm kind of stretching it here) we can have a build designed for modern PCs, but like I said, I'm stretching it. :)

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Tue Apr 03, 2012 14:18

higher level languages are useless without the lower level language.
Like windows is assembly then c/c++ without assembly they couldn't use c/++ then maybe without stuff like c/c++ they can't use java. You make a lot of sense. I think it is the game engine that needs to be changed, I think celeron only chose it because it is open source. If he used a found a free game engine that was closed source I am fairly certain it would be better than irrlicht. irrlicht is only one step above a closed source 2d engine.
Last edited by bgsmithjr on Tue Apr 03, 2012 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

John_Ianson

by John_Ianson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 15:07

bgsmithjr wrote:higher level languages are useless without the lower level language.
Like windows is assembly then c/c++ without assembly they couldn't use c/++ then maybe without stuff like c/c++ they can't use java. You make a lot of sense. I think it is the game engine that needs to be changed, I think celeron only chose it because it is open source. If he used a found a free game engine that was closed source I am fairly certain it would be better than irrlicht. irrlicht is only one step above a closed source 2d engine.

In that case, why don't we build an engine that's similar to the Irrlicht Engine, but optimized, specifically, for Minetest? I'm sure that we can do it. On a related note, since this game is (obviously) going to kick Minecraft in the pants, we should also work on Network optimization as well. :)

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Tue Apr 03, 2012 16:10

I can do a little, but not much. Just tell me when you need me.

John_Ianson

by John_Ianson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 16:38

bgsmithjr wrote:I can do a little, but not much. Just tell me when you need me.

If we have enough coders, "a little bit" will become "a lot". After all, it's our passion that drives us to succeed at what we do, and I, for one, plan on making it to the top.
Last edited by John_Ianson on Tue Apr 03, 2012 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Tue Apr 03, 2012 16:49

John, you are right, I could code some crafting definitions, but, I am away from my normal pc, and I could do this in a day, but, like I said, I am out of the house for a few days.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

John_Ianson

by John_Ianson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 17:34

Jordach wrote:John, you are right, I could code some crafting definitions, but, I am away from my normal pc, and I could do this in a day, but, like I said, I am out of the house for a few days.

Whatever you can do to help is sufficient enough for this project. I think that we should just get a prototype working. Then, we can focus our efforts on optimization. After all, you must crawl before you walk. If you know anybody else that can help, that'll be a BIG plus. Just image what can be possible if we put our heads together. After all, who's to say that EVERYTHING has to be blocky? What if the monsters looked like something that you'd see in a commercial product? I'm a HUGE fan of DOOM and an avid FPS gamer, by the way. I'm not entirely sure if it's possible, but the DOOM 3 engine was released to the Open Source community and I think it would be AWESOME if we somehow used the code to create better mobs. It would still take a HELL (no pun intended) of a lot of time to get it to work correctly, but it'll be worth it. After all, the DOOM 3 engine is very efficient, so using parts of it (optimized for Minetest, of course) would be greatly beneficial.

P.S.- I meant "efficient" as in "runs pretty damn well on old PCs". Also, I'm not entirely sure WHY, but I think it's awesome that Source Engine based games "deafen" the player if they are too close to an explosion. The physics should be good enough for this project too. Just saying...
Last edited by John_Ianson on Tue Apr 03, 2012 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:44

The simplest implementation of trade would probably be like caesars' 3-4.

Youd have your chest, and for each node space you could expand and set a price (0 or -1 for do not sell)
and then you'd have to set your currency (how many units of what?)

it almost looks to me like dynamic crafting. You input a certain type of node(s) and get back another type of node(s) but the rules are set in game by the owner of the chest.
Last edited by mauvebic on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

faraway

by faraway » Fri Apr 27, 2012 01:50

A capitalist system could work the same as in real life. For example, those with the most of a certain item would be considered wealthiest.

However, the value of money is given by those participating in the system. Unless the other players believe the item has value, then the system won't work. If you ask to trade 4 coins/bits for a mese pickaxe, the coins would have to be useful for something, like a player-owned shop or exclusive access to Canterlot Castle (example). Maybe even a summer home or a winter lodge.

But, of course, one could take the unflexible route of setting up NPC shops that magically have unlimited stock. In that case, the system is forced and part of the world's generation function. Who would want to build a communist society when capitalism is a part of nature (joking)?

Just my thoughts. I don't think one would need a mod for this sort of thing, unless it's single-player, or there are very few players.

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Fri Apr 27, 2012 02:42

We've got a working money mod - it's also integrated into my modpack (shameless plug, see sig). What I suggest is having vending machines that have dynamic prices - and that over time, prices tend to rise (mind you, it falls when you supply...). I'm a little too lazy to code at the moment, but the base should be pretty versatile.
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

jordan4ibanez

GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:11

bgsmithjr wrote:higher level languages are useless without the lower level language.

http://www.ogre3d.org/
If you can think it, you can make it.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:44

I would implement trade tomorrow if i understood how potions creates its custom inventory window thingy. Otherwise were looking at different types of vending machines for every purchasable item, which, imo, would be insane. lol

Gambit

by Gambit » Wed May 02, 2012 10:54

How about a function key that displays a stock tracker to keep an eye on the value of certain materials. So that everytime someone mines/uses something like a MESE block, the tracker will update its value.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Wed May 02, 2012 14:14

i dont know if they plan on making lua chests like lua mobs, but i think the simplest way to set exchanges for goods would be to come up with a slightly diferent version of the chest, in c/cpp

the simplest form of trade would be barter, so for every item you have in your trade chest, theres needs to be enough room beside it to have a dropdown list of all nodes, to chose the one your willing to trade for. after that we could try setting amounts. creating a gold coin node isn't the hard part here :-)

Return to Minetest Features