Water Pressure (Not Water Flow Related!!!)

John_Ianson

Water Pressure (Not Water Flow Related!!!)

by John_Ianson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 22:33

I was just swimming in the water and I thought to myself, "This game would be WAY more interesting if the player could get crushed by the pressure of the water surrounding him.". I think that there should be a pressure rating, which goes up as the player swims deeper. If the pressure is too high, the player will get crushed to death. To counteract this, the player can build items (like diving suits and submarines) to dive deeper.
I've never met my biological parents, lost many friends, been beaten to an inch of my life, received death threats, and been expelled from High School, among other things. And if I can get through ALL that, I'm PRETTY SURE that you have ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for half-assed coding.

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 22:38

"minecraft" has something like this, it just really difficult to swim up waterfalls, especially without drowning.
Last edited by Death Dealer on Mon Apr 02, 2012 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and code python^_^

blue

by blue » Mon Apr 09, 2012 01:52

that would be good...some things to make it interesting would be water press on underwater buildings...ie pure glass buildings under a certain mark (say 50-100 depth would be destroyed...but with supports (iron blocks, cobble, stone) lineing the glass would add less pressure....would be more life like...would take alot of time and effort to implement :P
I like to debate.

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 01:54

blue wrote:that would be good...some things to make it interesting would be water press on underwater buildings...ie pure glass buildings under a certain mark (say 50-100 depth would be destroyed...but with supports (iron blocks, cobble, stone) lineing the glass would add less pressure....would be more life like...would take alot of time and effort to implement :P

that would require a physics engine, witch i dont think is realistic thinking.

blue

by blue » Mon Apr 09, 2012 02:03

Death Dealer wrote:
blue wrote:that would be good...some things to make it interesting would be water press on underwater buildings...ie pure glass buildings under a certain mark (say 50-100 depth would be destroyed...but with supports (iron blocks, cobble, stone) lineing the glass would add less pressure....would be more life like...would take alot of time and effort to implement :P

in real life there is pressure...in real life if you make a glass dome underwater you had best make it has 20ft thick glass otherwise it would crush inward...if that isnt realistic thinking then i need to go do some heavy thinking about life for a while... ;o
I like to debate.

bgsmithjr

by bgsmithjr » Mon Apr 09, 2012 02:06

I read something about him working on water, on github or somewhere that he types, recently, maybe you should investigate. I think he was working on the physics.
Last edited by bgsmithjr on Mon Apr 09, 2012 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 02:23

blue wrote:
Death Dealer wrote:

in real life there is pressure...in real life if you make a glass dome underwater you had best make it has 20ft thick glass otherwise it would crush inward...if that isnt realistic thinking then i need to go do some heavy thinking about life for a while... ;o

realistic thinking in the sense that your saying this hoping someone gets the hint, not just so we all know what your thinking. and this would be a massive undertaking. applying real life physics to this game, so ya its unrealistic to think someone would go through a game as cheap as this one, the closest you could get to what your describing would be to add weight and breaking points to all the blocks.
Last edited by Death Dealer on Mon Apr 09, 2012 02:24, edited 1 time in total.

blue

by blue » Mon Apr 09, 2012 02:31

Death Dealer wrote:
blue wrote:
Death Dealer wrote:that would require a physics engine, witch i dont think is realistic thinking.

realistic thinking in the sense that your saying this hoping someone gets the hint, not just so we all know what your thinking. and this would be a massive undertaking. applying real life physics to this game, so ya its unrealistic to think someone would go through a game as cheap as this one, the closest you could get to what your describing would be to add weight and breaking points to all the blocks.

lol i considered the "breaking point" before...mines that are 100x100 blocks without a single support? that would a cave in in rl but obviously this is a game so we need to offer lenancy (dont know how to spell that word) for some things...as for someone taking a hint? i dont know what you mean by that?...im just offering my suggestions...like i said in rl underwater domes would be crushed from the pressure of water whereas it isnt in-game...thats what i call unrealistic...but like i said you have to offer lenancy in games
I like to debate.

Menche

by Menche » Mon Apr 09, 2012 04:42

So, just check how many water blocks are above a glass block and have a chance of being removed if its too high? Could be done fairly easily with an ABM, i think. Then it could be made more complex to sense nearby solid blocks, so you could reinforce your glass dome.
Last edited by Menche on Mon Apr 09, 2012 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

Return to Minetest Features