Minetest latest experimental features

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

Minetest latest experimental features

by Fixerol » Mon Jul 25, 2016 22:18

This thread is for people who are paying attention to latest developments in both minetest engine and game, if you have info about some new features merged, post it here!
Last edited by Fixerol on Mon Dec 26, 2016 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

Fixerol

Re: Minetest latest experimental features [0.4.14+]

by Fixerol » Mon Jul 25, 2016 23:02

Some interesting bits on engine:

• PostgreSQL backend was implemented on May 14 2016
  • Tolerate packet reordering in the early init process on 22 May 2016 / potentially fixes some obscure server stalls
  • Big refactoring of mapgen code on May 28 2016 / mapgen developers rejoice!
  • Mapgen v7: Always carve river channels in mountain terrain on 30 May 2016 / this one should produce very nice canyons and tunnels in mountain terrain that looks very awesome
    Pic: https://i.imgur.com/WT4qok1.jpg
  • Color chat was added on May 31 2016 / mod makers rejoice! coloured text can be used in game now.
  • Sapier's fix for the RESEND RELIABLE problem on 3 Jun 2016 / important workaround that fixes some very annoying server stalls (slowly dying server symptom), if you have strange server lock ups or stalls - be sure to try out newest dev build.
  • Initial Gamepad support on 3 Jun 2016 / initial support, more work will be done later
  • Dungeons: Generalise use, add capabilities, various modifications on 17 Jun 2016 / this one allows to customize and tweak dungeons even more. Example of ultra dense underground dungeon below.
    Pic: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... dbcf43.png
  • Remove cinematic toggle on F8 on 5 Jul 2016 / some people may dislike this, but you can set it back in game settings
  • Profiler: Replace game profiler on 12 Jul 2016 / finally old mod profiler was replaced by a new, improved version. Mod profiler is built in tool that allows you to analyse execution speed of lua code of mods and games.

Some Minetest Game changes:

• Convert plants and saplings to use node timers on 25 May 2016 / IIRC this should be a big thing for everyone, now plants will grow even when player is not around, allowing you to harvest more.
  • Enable ignition of tnt, gunpowder and permanent flame above coalblock using flint and steel on 4 Jun 2016 / now flint and steel has some more use! also, for people who like permanent fires... rejoice, by using flint and still on coal block you can light permanent fire on it for use in decorations (be safe with fire though).
    Pic of eternal flame enclosed in obsidian structure: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 31d9e5.png
  • Add mossy cobble slab and stair on 15 Jun 2016 / welcome addition, to have it in survival you need to create cobblestone stair/slabs and put them near water to convert into mossy variants.
  • Make brick and plank nodes rotatable on 29 May 2016 / finally you can rotate them to align with full block counterparts.
  • Remove mortar from stone brick, desert stone brick on 22 Jun 2016 / this one is lighten ups the look of brick blocks, easier on eyes
    Pic: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 1ecbda.png
  • Stair recipe returns 8 stairs not 6 on 22 Jun 2016 / now, when you craft some stairs, you will have 8 stairs (+2 stairs)
  • Add stone / desert stone / sandstone / obsidian blocks on 25 Jun 2016 / wanted polished stones in Minetest? Arrived!
    Pics of new polished blocks:
    https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 2024fc.png
    https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 7293fc.png
    https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 27fade.png
    https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 599437.png
    https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 9712a6.png
  • Craft locked chest from chest plus steel ingot on 27 Jun 2016 / finally you can convert all your simple chests to locked ones
  • Enable crafting of mese crystal fragments into mese crystal on 27 Jun 2016 / have lots of mese crystal fragments? Now they can be crafted back into a full crystal, less trash lying around.
  • Ore spawn rework on 5 Jul 2016 / some prominent changes in ore spawning: iron spawning up to Y=0, closer to the surface copper spawn, ore spawn above Y=1024 for other realms, etc.
  • Save respawn position when entering bed, only read bed spawns once on 13 Jul 2016 / welcome rework of bed spawning, should be more robust now.
  • Move nyancats into a separate mod on 18 Jul 2016 / nyans are now separate mod
  • New bone and mese textures
    Pics of few new textures:
    Bone:
    https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 83bdc1.png
    Surprisingly, this new block allows you to build roads or other neat things (0.4.15 will be year of polished stone and asphalt roads):
    https://i.imgur.com/gcjZYbS.png
    Mese block:
    https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 5ff8ef.png
Last edited by Fixerol on Tue Jul 26, 2016 21:35, edited 8 times in total.

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

by MineYoshi » Tue Jul 26, 2016 00:26

I liked the old Mese Texture...

But this one looks nice too by far i see...
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 23:38

Woooooooow, thanks you a lot!
Someone please move this thread to News.

Change comments:
As I saw the new bones texture, I instantly hated it. That one doesn't look even close to bones, way too abstract IMO. Also, I would hate to see fake roads/asphalt made out of bones.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Wed Jul 27, 2016 21:07

That one doesn't look even close to bones

It does, look at all sides, it is actually clever idea, if you look at this you will understand it: https://i.imgur.com/RVnT4EZ.png

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Thu Jul 28, 2016 21:20

Fixerol wrote:
That one doesn't look even close to bones

It does, look at all sides, it is actually clever idea, if you look at this you will understand it: https://i.imgur.com/RVnT4EZ.png

But if one death player only convert into 1 bone node....

Then make likely a little tomb with 3 bones instead!
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

by TenPlus1 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 08:35

Interesting Updates for Admin
  • Bones now have drop modes, "bones" for default behaviour, "drop" to drop all items on ground and "keep" for keep inventory.
  • Sethome has three new global functions you can call:
    Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
    Code: Select all
    sethome.get(name)
    sethome.set(name, pos)
    sethome.go(name)

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:06

• You can now Zoom in like in optifine by pressing Z key, this was added on Aug 10 2016 / works if you have zoom privilege.
    Screen: https://i.imgur.com/rwQGUAt.jpg
  • Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
    [opacity:<r>
    texture modifier, that makes the base image transparent according to the given ratio, was added on Aug 12 2016

Interesting changes of Minetest game:

• Prevent placing sapling if grown tree intersects protection, added on Jul 27 2016 / prevents griefing via saplings
  • Changed snow nodebox to 'walkable = false' , added on Aug 9 2016 / you can walk in snow now
  • Add labels to ABMs, added on Aug 9 2016 / Now modmakers can add their abm's a proper name to see in new profiler output.

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

by ABJ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 14:38

OMG

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Mon Aug 15, 2016 20:36

Fixerol wrote:[list][*]You can now Zoom in like in optifine by pressing Z key, this was added on Aug 10 2016 / works if you have zoom privilege.
Screen: https://i.imgur.com/rwQGUAt.jpg

Nice!
I'd like that zoom feature!

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Tue Aug 16, 2016 09:19

a bit cheaty don't you think? happily there is a privilege
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

ABJ

by ABJ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 09:35

It is not cheaty. And I am not happy that it requires a privilege. Just stop it, guys, at least make some binoculars and telescopes, THEN go on with this privilege thing. And that's a feature request.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 09:38

Yeah, I would also think making this accessible via tool makes much more sense. Using privileges for this seems lame. In fact, the privilege should be removed. Privileges should be for server stuff, not normal gameplay stuff.
Maybe it could be handled in a similar manner you enable/disable the minimap for certain players.

ABJ

by ABJ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 09:43

Wow yes thanks for supporting this. Please, just add binoculars and telescopes, and for now, remove this priv.

Also, minimap NOOO I don't think that would be received well. It's been around for free for too long.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Tue Aug 16, 2016 09:49

Maybe adding a radar item could be fun!
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

ABJ

by ABJ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 09:51

Fine. Add a craftable radar AND binoculars/telescopes, THEN make the above privilege-limited.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 09:56

See my Orienteering mod. It disables minimap by default, but adds the “automapper” item which you need to obtain first so you can access the minimap (currently surface mode AND radar mode)
If you don't like this, just don't install the mod. :P Minetest Game itself is unaffected, of course.

As for radar item: This is not possible yet. So I have made a suggestion here:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4378

And no, why the hell do you want a privilege in the first place? Just change the player attributes (or make them changable). This is gameplay stuff and just clutters the privilege list.

ABJ

by ABJ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 09:57

Ohhhh yeah. So that. I was thinking you guys wanted to have an item give priv.
EDIT: By the way, why not remove this priv all together from the default game, and allow a mod to restrict zoom instead of preventing players from experiencing cool features for the sake of "survival"?

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Mon Oct 03, 2016 22:55

• Fix updateFastFaceRow tiling issue / Aug 18 2016 / people who have weak videocards may benefit from this (less triangles to draw).
  • Disable pre v25 init sending by default for clients / Aug 22 2016 / Disable the ability to connect to old servers by default to improve password security. If people still want to connect to old (0.4.12 and earlier) servers, they can flip the send_pre_v25_init setting.
  • Make plantlike drawtype more fun / Aug 26 2016 / Adds several new ways that the plantlike drawtype mesh can be changed. Useful for mods and default game.
  • Higher frequency limit for view/hand bobbing and footsteps / Aug 26 2016 / useful for sprinting mods, faster walking - faster view bobbling for example.
  • Disallow registering users with the same name / Aug 29 2016 / Prevents duplicate names: 'NickName', 'nickname', 'NICKNAME'. Skips already registered users, so they can connect as usual.
  • Anticheat: Use the physics_override modifiers aswell / Sep 9 2016 / This should allow you to use anticheat with speed booths and other custom physics.
  • Throw error if node 'light_source' > core.LIGHT_MAX / Sep 17 2016 / light_source = 15 in mods causes light glitches, so modmakers should avoid it for now.
  • Do not serialize empty NodeMetadata / Sep 21 2016 / This fixes curious bug that added some unnecessary "garbage" into mapblock data.
  • Builtin/falling: Add fallback vector in case of nil 'wallmounted to dir' / Oct 3 2016 / Some people reported this annoying bug causing server to crash, should be fixed for now.

• Optimise and simplify leafdecay ABM, remove cache / Aug 15, 2016 / Leaf decay should be way easier on RAM now.
  • Vary wood burn times according to wood density / Sep 4 2016 / Burn time is unchanged for applewood, and increases in the order: aspen, pine, apple, acacia, jungle which is also the order of wood colour darkness.
  • Convert xpanes to connected nodeboxes / Sep 10 2016 / Glass panes and iron bars are working differently now.
  • Big simplification of slabs combination / Sep 14, 2016 / Helps slab builders a lot, now you can place identical slabs muuuch faster, no more screwdriver pains.

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri

by Byakuren » Thu Oct 13, 2016 23:13

You can attach particle spawners to entities now, in case you want to do things like rain or projectiles with trails.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Fixerol

by Fixerol » Fri Oct 14, 2016 22:35

• New settings to prevent spam in chat (chat messages length limit, message rate before limiting, message rate before kicking) / Oct 5, 2016 / Very useful for server administrators
  • Added attached particle spawners / Oct 13, 2016 / As requested by modmakers
  • Use range-based fog instead of z-plane based. / Oct 14, 2016 / Now fog rendered is more properly, equally in all direction

• 'Silver sand' added for cold desert biome / Oct 6, 2016 / new variety of sand for cold desert biomes
  • Added coral nodes and death ABM / Oct 13, 2016 / new blocks in works for tropical sees

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Sat Oct 15, 2016 14:07

awesome for: attached particles
silver sand; coral!

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Sat Oct 15, 2016 18:48

Dungeons: Generalise use, add capabilities, various modifications on 17 Jun 2016 / this one allows to customize and tweak dungeons even more. Example of ultra dense underground dungeon below.

are these dungeons enabled by default?

paramat

GitHub: paramat

by paramat » Sat Oct 15, 2016 20:20

No. Also the API needed to access these dungeon parameters is still to come.

Kosmos

In-game: KosmosHD

by Kosmos » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:05

How i can get the zoom privileg???

-

I have found it with
/grant singleplayer all
in an other MT:https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6745

Work it in the normal MT too???

Ferk

GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:22

In the latest git version you can also now do..

/grantme all

Saving you from typing "singleplayer", which is very convenient when testing
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

Kosmos

In-game: KosmosHD

by Kosmos » Mon Oct 24, 2016 18:46

Ohh THX

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Tue Oct 25, 2016 20:33

Kosmos wrote:Ohh THX
+1

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 14:10

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT the official changelog, nor is it EVER intended to replace the official changelog.

Minetest Game:

- Metal sounds!!! Finally!
- Many items are now usable as fuel: Bed, book, paper, door, fence gates, straw, pretty much everything made out of wood, etc.
- Fuel burn times of trees and wood now vary slightly, depending on wood type
- Minetest Game-specific settings can now be set in “Advanced settings” menu
- Pressing enter in creative inventory search field finally works now
- Nodes for corals and bushes have been added, but they are pretty much unused or experimental for now

- Silver sand, also unused atm, intended for “cold deserts” later:

- Iron bar doesn't look like shit anymore when viewed from above:

- Overlay icons for bookshelf and vessels shelf:
But this feature is may be removed again. :-(

- Fuel slot in furnace now allows sneak-clicking as well
- TNT and gunpowder get activated by flames
- Simple but terrible sound when player takes damage. Might be removed or replaced
- New vessels textures (slightly smaller)
- Nicer selectionboxes of grass and flowers, etc.

PS: When will this thread finally be moved to the News forums?

Edit: Minetest updates:

- Mod Security has been enabled by default. This might break some mods, so all modders should check their mods to make them compatible with Minetest's mod security system (if required)
- Optional and mandatory mod dependencies are separated in main menu:
- FAR too many updates to list, most of them I don't really understand. XD
Last edited by Wuzzy on Wed Mar 15, 2017 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 22:28

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT the official changelog, nor is it EVER intended to replace the official changelog.

Minetest:
Singleplayer gets now less privileges by default: interact, shout, privs and basic_privs.

The rationale for this is that singleplayer had so many privileges, it was essentionally cheating by default. :D
Also, some mods are heavily influenced by the granted privileges, especially Unified Inventory (free teleportation, free items, free setting time of day, and all that outside of Creative Mode). Those mods should be now work better.

Note that it is still possible in singleplayer to just use “/grantme all” to let you do everything.
Last edited by Wuzzy on Wed Mar 15, 2017 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Minetest Features