[Engine Suggestion] C++ Add-on/Mod API

spyjoshx

In-game: spyjoshx

[Engine Suggestion] C++ Add-on/Mod API

by spyjoshx » Thu Feb 23, 2017 21:17

Before you all read the title and reply saying it can't be done, know this: I do not know much about code or the minetest engine.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the forums (particularly in feature discussion and general discussion) and have been noticing a lot of feature requests that could only be implemented in the minetest engine (i.e. not with LUA mods). I've been thinking that if there was some sort of C++ add-on api, that a lot of these problems could be solved without much work on the developers' part.
This would solve much of the debate over other dimensions, better mobs, virtual reality support, and gamepad support. Keep in mind I have NO IDEA how any of this could be implemented, but if it is possible (and practical) it could solve a lot of problems.

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

Re: [Engine Suggestion] C++ Add-on/Mod API

by TenPlus1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 07:44

Many of the mob api's rely on c++ code already in the engine for entity control, path finding, entity detection and falling etc. The core devs leave the rest up to modders so we have the freedom to add our own mobs and have them work the way we want instead of including a default mob system.

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri

Re: [Engine Suggestion] C++ Add-on/Mod API

by Byakuren » Sat Feb 25, 2017 06:51

Exposing a C++ API would have the same issues as with the Lua API, because mods would still not be able to reach into engine code and change it.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Return to Minetest Features