[Discussion] Propery Ownership - Define Area

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Mon May 21, 2012 11:15

I could have my mod create a worldfile for each of it's users containing the x,z of all the users' placed nodes, and protect those coordinates (at all elevations).

Alternatively, for the performance-minded, i could simply enable users to define "protected areas" the same way you do with my mod's "fill" chatcommand (or like worlededit) And add another chat command to enable/disable protection.

I could also setup special priviledges to use water/lava and any other node that can cause damage?
Last edited by mauvebic on Mon May 21, 2012 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

redcrab

by redcrab » Mon May 21, 2012 13:09

RabbiBob wrote:(...)

Define the space
Let's stick with rectangular\square geometry to make the calculations easier and define an area (8 pos points would be needed to defined two sides, then the two sides connected at the corner points).
(...)

8 position points .. .. heu may be I'm wrong but 2 points in space are enough to designate 8 vertices and 6 planes ..

p1(x,y,z) p2(x,y,z)

p1p2 is the diagonal of a rectangular (orthogonal) parallelepiped shape...
0.4 for serious builder click here
Dedicated Minetest redcrab server forum at http://minetestbb.suret.net

It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

RabbiBob

by RabbiBob » Tue May 22, 2012 00:45

That make sense. My knowledge range is really around theoretical quantum physics and the effects of quark distillation on improbability drive mechanics. Geometry really isn't my cup of tea.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Tue May 22, 2012 18:01

my experimental griefer countermeasures. Basically you can enable/disable the placing of water_source and lava_source from the chat console using shield on and shield off
http://youtu.be/uf-6BOxsUM8

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 14:18

We were having the same discussion here http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=27116#p27116 about how there already was code in a older minetest fork that handles this, But I think this thread is a better location for it.

Menche wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:The way to prevent griefing is a no-brainer. Download Mythruna, and log onto their main server. Griefing is not possible there due to the property system. Standard users are able to select any unclaimed 32x32 area as their "stronghold". They can ask the server admin for a larger "town" area. But the software prevents anyone from messing with the player's property unless the player specifically adds them to the "badge list" of people who can also build on their property. The system even comes with property markers and glowing visible boundaries that can be turned on and off. I doubt anyone could pull off something this sophisticated in a mod, but if not, maybe we could ask Celeron to add it to his todo list. To me griefing prevention has to be top priority, who really cares about anything else? Critcal to this system is a visible map where you can see who owns what.

Something similar has been done in Minetest, see here: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=258. However, this fork is very outdated, and it's developer seems to have disappeared. I wonder if someone could update that for 0.4 and make it's features available in the modding api?

Thanks for finding that. I really like the idea. What's cool about clans is the possibility to add additional features down the road like having a clan members only chat mode, battles over territories with other clans, etc. But for now I think just keeping it simple and migrating the existing clan code from your thread would be the way to prevent griefing the fastest. I would make one change, and that is every time someone joins the clan, that person's territory allotment gets added to the clan's territory allotment.

What do you all think of the idea of migrating the clan code?
Last edited by Neuromancer on Wed Jun 20, 2012 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:48

I had something similar but it only had the 1 stronghold and no one could build or dig in it while the thing was "on" (could be turned off in game chat) - but i never really developed it beyond that, i couldn't test it under real conditions.

Node ownership is also very doable, but at what cost to performance? were talking about adding ownership meta to every node placed. Then there's the question of what happens if some idiot puts his nodes in your doorway, or fills your house with them, and you can't dig them? I could always give it a shot and see what happens - alternatively i could implement a limited range of nodes w/ node ownership, or some sort of mod that lets the admin chose which nodes will have ownership.?

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 14:40

mauvebic wrote:I had something similar but it only had the 1 stronghold and no one could build or dig in it while the thing was "on" (could be turned off in game chat) - but i never really developed it beyond that, i couldn't test it under real conditions.

Node ownership is also very doable, but at what cost to performance? were talking about adding ownership meta to every node placed. Then there's the question of what happens if some idiot puts his nodes in your doorway, or fills your house with them, and you can't dig them? I could always give it a shot and see what happens - alternatively i could implement a limited range of nodes w/ node ownership, or some sort of mod that lets the admin chose which nodes will have ownership.?

I think the stronghold/property works better than node ownership. Like you said, there are performance issues and people putting blocks in inconvenient places to worry about with node ownership.

An alternative is to use some of the "world edit" mods ability to mark off an cube shaped area and save it, and re-load it in the same place if what you built got griefed. World edit as it stands would allow greifers to really be destructive. A griefer could save a structure and make 10,000 copies of it all over the place. Another concern would be that some people make really large structures. The ability to save an object should only be for a relatively small area, unless they put in a request to the server admin for some large structure they created being able to be saved. Pretty much all of the other features in world edit would need to be stripped away as well due to the potential for abuse.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Wed Jun 27, 2012 15:28

giving strongholds a shot: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2187

So far i have 56 lines of code and a working proto, i just need to add ingame functions for setting and deleting new strongholds :-)

Menche

by Menche » Thu Jun 28, 2012 05:01

This is what I'm currently using: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=846. It seems to work well; moderators can assign property to players, and players can assign parts of their property to others to get help building, make a city, etc. One minor annoyance with it is it requires the player to be online to give them property.
Last edited by Menche on Thu Jun 28, 2012 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:23

If that one works i dont get why this topic keeps coming up and people keep complaining about griefing (drama?) lol
Last edited by mauvebic on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Wed Nov 21, 2012 20:19

sfan5 wrote:Problem of node-ownership: Griefer builds Wall around house and you can't destroy it

Maybe instead give a 14x14 (or 15x15) land, where one row is always "admin only". That way there is always a passage even in the case the griefer surrounds you in a wall.

Let me explain this:

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
AAAXBBBX
AAAXBBBX
AAAXBBBX
XXXXXXXX
CCCXDDDX
CCCXDDDX
CCCXDDDX
XXXXXXXX

A/B/C/D - Land blocks
X - Admin only block.

Is it clear enough?

EDIT: Wow sorry! Didn't notice this was a 5-month old thread. Is it still open?
Last edited by kaeza on Wed Nov 21, 2012 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

Previous

Return to Minetest Features