Unified Dye System

Sanchez

Unified Dye System

by Sanchez » Wed Jun 20, 2012 13:27

There are a few mods now that use some sort of system for generating and mixing colours like my Blox mod, Jordach's Wool mod and mauvebic's MadBlocks etc. Each current dye system is different in terms of colours and crafting. I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to have a seperate Dye Mod that other mods depend on that could maybe be included in the minetest builds. It would be simple enough to create and i'm happy to make it I just want to know if people would agree to use it and to see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas on what to include and how best to impliment it.

I would like to only use items in the default minetest so it doesn't depend on any other mod or maybe include some items in the mod for generating dye.

:)
Last edited by Sanchez on Wed Jun 20, 2012 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

Topywo

by Topywo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 13:44

Great idea!

P.s. Use Dry Shrub :-D

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Wed Jun 20, 2012 16:03

I like the idea, but the problem is getting everyone who uses some kind of dyes to agree on the best way to do it (IMHO: smelt flowers the way it's done in my homedecor mod).
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

Sanchez

by Sanchez » Wed Jun 20, 2012 18:35

I did notice that your mod smelts flowers and I like the idea but it means that you need the flowers mod for it to work and idealy I don't want the dyes mod to depend on anything else. I suppose it would be easy enough to combine the two and make the flowers mod and the dyes mod the same thing. (maybe adding more flowers?)
Last edited by Sanchez on Wed Jun 20, 2012 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

lesliev

by lesliev » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:38

Maybe the flower smelting part could be separated out and the home decor mod be made to depend on it? I see dyes.lua is already on its own, so this should be easy to do. Vanessa, do you think its a good idea?

SHKEd

by SHKEd » Tue Jun 26, 2012 16:01

I'm for it!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Tue Jun 26, 2012 20:46

I believe it will work by itself, without the rest of the mod, yes. In fact, I tried to write it with that purpose in mind. It can easily be extracted, renamed, and re-packaged into a separate mod; if you want, I'll do that and make a new release.

I'll call it "unifieddyes" in keeping with the topic of this thread. Note that all of the node names will have to change in keeping with standard mod-naming practice.

As for flowers, I suppose I could distribute it with my dyes, but I'm hesitant to do that, in case it goes out of date.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Tue Jun 26, 2012 21:06

i cut two colors out of my dye set and got rid of the flower necessity. Now you just cook charcoal to get black dye and all other colors are derived from re-crafting the dye.

Ideally i just want the dye to be easy to get w/ little to no crafting or cooking. After all, your'e using the dye to craft other things to actually build with, so dye-making itself doesn't need to be an activity in and of itself.

But yeah, you're never gonna get all the modders to agree on a common format (we tried discussing it).

I think whats gonna happen is they're going to pick one of the dyes and add it to default. Once that's done and i know it's permanent and won't change much, then ill feel safe in dropping my dyes :-)

Though there's one challenge thats not as obvious: what happens when we're all using the same dyes, and half our crafts overlap in between mods?
Last edited by mauvebic on Tue Jun 26, 2012 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

Topywo

by Topywo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 21:20

mauvebic wrote:
Though there's one challenge thats not as obvious: what happens when we're all using the same dyes, and half our crafts overlap in between mods?

Then it's maybe time to update the workbench mod? http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2000

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Tue Jun 26, 2012 23:06

My attempt at Unified Dyes is now available. It depends on Ironzorg's Flowers, of course. Home Decor has been updated as suggested to use them, and my collection of texture packs has been updated to accommodate these changes as well.

Unified Dyes Mod: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=28399
Last edited by VanessaE on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:34

Topywo wrote:
mauvebic wrote:

Then it's maybe time to update the workbench mod? http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2000

TBH riventest doesn't have any crafts (saves me from having to create a bunch of other nodes to make the crafts work) and i'm thinking of doing the same thing w/ madblocks as a whole. Let people DIY their crafts if they want, i only use giveme's anyways. Thats pretty much why i got rid of two colors and made the rest dead-simple.
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

Return to Minetest Features