Danger from the deep

Dogers

Danger from the deep

by Dogers » Wed Nov 09, 2011 08:21

By playing some game like "Arx Fatalis" and "Dwarf Fortress" , I got an idea . In order to make the game play more challenging , maybe a kind of "Boss-mob" could be added .

This kind of monster could be find if we dig too deep (-1000 or -5000) , like Balrog in Tolkien's universe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balrog) . But it should be very rare , and more we dig-down more chance we've got to find that monster . It should be very difficult to defeat , and must follow the player until it get killed when it is release from the deeps . It can present opportunity for player to group and fight the monster for an epic boss battle .

But to make an interest in dig-down maybe a new mineral should be added . Something really rare like Mithril (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithril) . For instance this mineral could be used to create ultimate armour and weapons .

Tell me if you like .
Last edited by Dogers on Wed Nov 09, 2011 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Dogers or dttdogers in-game
---------------------------------
My personal page : http://dttdogers.blogspot.com/

metouto

by metouto » Wed Nov 09, 2011 19:06

I really really really like this idea Dogers
You can always tell a real friend: when you've made a fool of yourself he doesn't feel you've done a permanent job. ~Laurence J. Peter

sdzen

by sdzen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 21:13

love love love it great lord of the rings things which should be added
[h]Zen S.D.[/h] The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

Staffs

by Staffs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 21:22

Slow down guys lets not make this a fuckin mmorpg game kay ?
I love mods :D

Dogers

by Dogers » Thu Nov 10, 2011 07:16

Adding magic , and level would be part of a RPG , here , this is not what we are talking about . I just want to make an utility to the 31k units range to the deeps by make it more challenging including big monster and precious metal .

After all Minetest is not only about construction , there is also exploration , for my part , I prefer the exploration .

I think these kind of game should be divided in two parts , explore and construct . So player chose their role . Explorer find minerals and new place for Builder .

That is my opinion .
Last edited by Dogers on Thu Nov 10, 2011 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

Staffs

by Staffs » Thu Nov 10, 2011 07:36

There should be Survival & Creative & Adventure maybe ?
I love mods :D

Dogers

by Dogers » Thu Nov 10, 2011 07:51

Yup , I was playing Minecraft long time ago , and that was the point , Survival , Creative and Adventure like you say . That's what I expect from Minetest .

But in my opinion , Minecraft is too easy , I want Minetest to be harder than Minecraft for the Advanturer who digs to deep . For the builder it will not change anything .

metouto

by metouto » Thu Nov 10, 2011 16:39

Dogers wrote:In order to make the game play more challenging , maybe a kind of "Boss-mob" could be added .....This kind of monster could be find if we dig too deep (-1000 or -5000) .... But it should be very rare , and more we dig-down more chance we've got to find that monster . It should be very difficult to defeat , and must follow the player until it get killed when it is release from the deeps .....

But to make an interest in dig-down maybe a new mineral should be added . Something really rare ...... For instance this mineral could be used to create ultimate armour and weapons .

Tell me if you like .

Dogers has a good idea here for the adventure ..... or even the survivalist .... no magic .... just a new part to make a goood game and if you don't want it like that you could play the creative side .... or just not dig deep.

Just my 2 cents worth .... for what it is worth :)
Last edited by metouto on Thu Nov 10, 2011 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
You can always tell a real friend: when you've made a fool of yourself he doesn't feel you've done a permanent job. ~Laurence J. Peter

kddekadenz

GitHub: tinyworlds

by kddekadenz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 16:12

Dogers wrote:Yup , I was playing Minecraft long time ago , and that was the point , Survival , Creative and Adventure like you say . That's what I expect from Minetest .

But in my opinion , Minecraft is too easy , I want Minetest to be harder than Minecraft for the Advanturer who digs to deep . For the builder it will not change anything .

I played Minecraft again, and on normal it's challenging enough for me :D
To choose from different difficulties would be nice.
By the way, I realized that MT is in some points better then MC, but that there are no sounds is a big disadvantage.

To the topic itself: A boss mob would be cool, if it is made good. But I think it shouldn't be a copy of something.

P.S.: Will upload a concept art of a slime :o , I did some time ago.

srothe

by srothe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:47

Just my tupence here:

I think on a game like minetest, best would be to enable the player to tailor things upon creation of a world. Have a look on how far you can tailor games like Simutrans or OpenTransportTycoon (both transport simulation games) and you see my point.

With this enabled everybody can decide himself if he wants a vanilla gameplay which focuses on building a world, or prefers a mmorpg-like gameplay with monsters, slime and whatsoever. Or anything inbetween.

I believe, the more switches you have on gamestart, the more people are going to be attracted by the game.
Plus: This might well be what pulls minetest ahead of minecraft ;-)

sdzen

by sdzen » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:25

yes minetest needs a completely unique feture that minecraft doesnt most people i attempt to hype onto minetest are put of by how its like a less feature rich version of minecraft a way to give the masses something that they cant get in minecraft might coax them here
[h]Zen S.D.[/h] The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

Maelstrom

by Maelstrom » Sat Nov 26, 2011 19:33

The Idea is good.

Giving the Game a possibilitiy for special biomes with Boss Monsters would be awesome. A deep Cave with a forgotten Beast like a Dragon or a Giant Blob shooting slime would be a great Idea.

I want to add some other Ideas:

Towers. Filled with Monsters and on Top a Boss Creature.

Sky Islands: encased with "magic Glass Blocks" leaving everything inside of them invisible until near enough.

Deep Sea Ruins: Underwater Biome which rejects water for some reason or is encased in Glass.

My Ideas for special Biomes.

Dogers

by Dogers » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:10

Really like Deep Sea Ruins and Tower ideas !

Return to Minetest Features