[Poll] Buckets

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

[Poll] Buckets

by PilzAdam » Sat Jan 05, 2013 16:39

Hello everyone!
Since we interact with a rightclick with doors now it would be consistent to change buckets so they use rightclick too.

Patch: https://github.com/PilzAdam/minetest_game/commit/6063233d4dc1e5dbd106f6e52309167bdbace9b6
Last edited by PilzAdam on Sat Jan 05, 2013 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Sat Jan 05, 2013 17:32

I voted right click place left click pick up because when you pick it up you are technically digging it
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

BrandonReese

GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Sat Jan 05, 2013 17:39

I know one of the comments with the doors was using right click to open doors would eliminate the accidental dumping of lava onto ones prized building. If you change buckets to use right click that situation returns. I think buckets are fine with left click to fill, left click to dump. Buckets are a tool, to keep them consistent with the other tools they should only use left click.

Why didn't you have the option to configure this behavior minetest.conf?

Can this and the doors behavior be configured client side so each user could setup their own preference?

I think either way this or the doors go, people will get used to it.
Last edited by BrandonReese on Sat Jan 05, 2013 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Jan 05, 2013 18:48

BrandonReese wrote:Why didn't you have the option to configure this behavior minetest.conf?

Because in this case are too many options.
BrandonReese wrote:Can this and the doors behavior be configured client side so each user could setup their own preference?

No, this is not possible.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 19:01

Why not check what is the wielded item before opening a door?
If anyone holding the lava bucket and then spill it while trying to open the doo - that's a bug I believe! I'm again about MC, but there are no such problem exist. The doors are placed, closed and opened by right clicking. The bucked is filled and dumped off by right clicking. The doors are removed by left clicking.
So the only thing we need is to check what is the wielded item and what is the pointing_at node. "Interacting" with the pointed_at node should have priority over using wielded_item. That's all. Also there are some blocks that shouldn't be the surface to place the doors like air, ice, some halfblocks (allready done), eventually lava and water. Lava should set the door on fire or melt it and the water should wash the door away. :)

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Sat Jan 05, 2013 19:36

on_place and on_rightclick shouldnt trigger at the same time.

on_rightclick should take presidence if i understand the code right. Also the bucket could check if pointed_thing *has* an on_rightclick if I'm incorrect.
Meow.

That is all.

Splizard

GitHub: Splizard
IRC: Splizard
In-game: Splizard

by Splizard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 19:58

I believe this is inconsistent, instead it should be a basic rule:
Left click for interacting with whatever you are holding eg. pickaxe and bucket.
(remember digging is simply interacting by default with whatever you are holding)
Right click for interacting with blocks in the world eg. chests, doors and furnaces.
In this system, one knows how to interact with each object instead of learning different inconsistent ways of interacting.
If you do change buckets to right click make it consistent so new players can figure out what button to press for doors, buckets, etc. without looking it up.
Games: The Hungry Games.
Mods: Lifters (Simple Lifts), Snow Biomes and Gates.
Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!
View all of them plus more at http://minetest.splizard.com! (may not always be online).

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Jan 05, 2013 19:58

Yea, the bucket code should first check for an on_rightclick() event on the pointed node before doing the other stuff.

wulfsdad

by wulfsdad » Sun Jan 06, 2013 00:43

I like the way it is now; when you're carrying a filled bucket you have to set it aside to avoid spilling it. It's like your hands are full carrying the bucket and you have to be careful not to spill.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 00:53

Splizard wrote:I believe this is inconsistent, instead it should be a basic rule:
Left click for interacting with whatever you are holding eg. pickaxe and bucket.
(remember digging is simply interacting by default with whatever you are holding)
Right click for interacting with blocks in the world eg. chests, doors and furnaces.
In this system, one knows how to interact with each object instead of learning different inconsistent ways of interacting.
If you do change buckets to right click make it consistent so new players can figure out what button to press for doors, buckets, etc. without looking it up.

And here we go again.
What makes anyone think that a bucket is a tool? Well, it is, but when we are using it we are interacting with the blocks like water and lava. So I suggest using right click for all tools that change the world around player more delicately (like filling a bucket with liquids) than "destroying".

LMB is for destruction.
By this concept a player should:
  • place blocks with RMB
  • dig/punch nodes with LMB
  • interact with blocks that have a formspec with RMB
  • Use tools that change the world (not digging or puching) with RMB
The last is essential for a player, cause this way he/she would understand that opening the door and filling the bucket or using a hoe is more delicate way to interact with the world.
Last edited by 4aiman on Sun Jan 06, 2013 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

Splizard

GitHub: Splizard
IRC: Splizard
In-game: Splizard

by Splizard » Sun Jan 06, 2013 02:56

4aiman wrote:
Splizard wrote:I believe this is inconsistent, instead it should be a basic rule:

And here we go again.
What makes anyone think that a bucket is a tool? Well, it is, but when we are using it we are interacting with the blocks like water and lava. So I suggest using right click for all tools that change the world around player more delicately (like filling a bucket with liquids) than "destroying".

LMB is for destruction.
By this concept a player should:
  • place blocks with RMB
  • dig/punch nodes with LMB
  • interact with blocks that have a formspec with RMB
  • Use tools that change the world (not digging or puching) with RMB
The last is essential for a player, cause this way he/she would understand that opening the door and filling the bucket or using a hoe is more delicate way to interact with the world.

Fair enough (as long as that standard is followed for consistency).
Games: The Hungry Games.
Mods: Lifters (Simple Lifts), Snow Biomes and Gates.
Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!
View all of them plus more at http://minetest.splizard.com! (may not always be online).

Return to Minetest Features