Saving and loading maps

bwog

Saving and loading maps

by bwog » Tue Dec 06, 2011 14:07

After watching videos of people playing challenge maps on Minecraft, I thought that it would be nice to be able to do the same thing in Minetest. Right now the only way to keep 1 map without having to swap them out is by having multiple installs.

I think this would open lots of possibilities, such as challenge maps, obstacle courses, etc.

Wolfgang

by Wolfgang » Tue Dec 06, 2011 18:47

To change the map directory either set map-dir in your minetest.conf or pass the location as command line parameter (--map-dir <value>). No need for multiple installs.

Menche

by Menche » Tue Dec 06, 2011 23:37

Wolfgang wrote:To change the map directory either set map-dir in your minetest.conf or pass the location as command line parameter (--map-dir <value>). No need for multiple installs.

That works, but is a bit inconvenient. There should be a way to switch between multiple worlds from within minetest.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

hmmm

by hmmm » Sun Jan 01, 2012 03:33

bwog wrote:After watching videos of people playing challenge maps on Minecraft, I thought that it would be nice to be able to do the same thing in Minetest. Right now the only way to keep 1 map without having to swap them out is by having multiple installs.

I think this would open lots of possibilities, such as challenge maps, obstacle courses, etc.

Don't forget adventure maps! That's giant in Minecraft.

Anyway, the only current way to change maps is to remove all the files and stuff from the world folder and move them to a new folder or a compressed archive (e.g. zip, rar, gz, bz2, or 7z) and take the contents of another world folder and put it in the empty world folder.

It would be nice if there was a way to add multiple worlds and texture packs and choose which ones you want to use.
Last edited by hmmm on Sun Jan 01, 2012 03:35, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Minetest Features