Leaf blocks

benajamin

Leaf blocks

by benajamin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 08:06

I noticed that there are tons of floating leaf blocks on the kray server. They look really ugly! Perhaps if there was a recipe to craft sticks out of leaf blocks then people would bother to clean them up.

radboy

by radboy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 13:32

leaves into sticks? how about leaf decay? leaf blocks fall down when all of the tree is destroyed?

benajamin

by benajamin » Sun Jun 05, 2011 16:26

Sure, those are both valid options too. I just thought they were obvious enough to not need mentioning and I gave the crafting suggestion simply because it would require the least programming effort (i'd prefer the devs to work on something more interesting).

HaiR

by HaiR » Tue Jun 07, 2011 09:37

Your idea made me thinking that: what about adding some "apples" or other fruits in the leaves ? it could be as the coal/iron in the stone ( it could make red things in leaves, etc..). And if it's possible, adding fruit only on the top of the trees, so people would be obliged to cut more leaves to get fruits, etc.

And with cutting the leaves which have fruits, we could collect them, and get health (so btw, the health system would be activated)

Heinrich

by Heinrich » Sat Jun 11, 2011 18:37

Because the leaves are really fast to "mine" I use them to build scaffolds and other temporary structures.
Last edited by Heinrich on Sat Jun 11, 2011 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

mstoykov

by mstoykov » Fri Jun 17, 2011 00:56

arent the leaves in minecraft falling after there is no trunk and so you get little trees.
The idea isnt bad as now I dont see anyway to actually make more trees which is kind of essential in not creating mode :). Though crafting some things else out of trees or the apples are actually pretty nice idea :)

Crickettwb

by Crickettwb » Fri Jun 17, 2011 02:41

I have thought that it would be a wonderful idea to have some way to grow trees for a while, and in fact I was really hoping that Celeron was already planning it and it would be released very soon.

I do like having the leaf blocks though, for various reasons, so I can't be too helpful with ideas in this thread. Perhaps they could be used for fuel in the furnace?

spongie

by spongie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 07:52

I've tried the game for a while now and I have a list of suggested changes. While writing this I'm also browsing the sources to see what is possible/rather easy to fix.

1) Respawn stones.
This involves two items: one respawn stone and a recall item with unlimited use.
The respawn stone could be public (i.e server provided, perhaps indestructible?) or private (i.e crafter and placed by a player). When the recall item is used a list of respawn stones is shown in a menu, you pick one and teleport there.
A public respawn stone at the same place where new players spawn the first time could be a life saver for new players who, like me, dig themselves into a deep hole. :) The private spawn stones could be used by power players to move fast between spots. Maybe it could be expensive to build, 9 mese? I dunno.
This is the simplest in game teleportation I could think of and the main purpose is to give players a way out should they get stuck.

2) Tree leaves falling.
I don't like the idea of decaying them because I use them as a nice decoration, plants do lovely things for a house. :) However, when the trunk they were attached to is removed, they should be moved towards the ground. I constantly vacuum "loose" leaves, they just look bad hovering in the air. This could perhaps be done by linking leave blocks to a parent tree block, if parent is removed then move one block down.

3) Leaves with sticks.
Sort of like the fruit/ore idea. Some leaves contain stick item instead of leave item.

4) Drag n drop for crafting menu
Left drag and drop: move one item. Right drag and drop produce a menu that lets you type a number to move and a quick button for "All". This would speed up crafting a lot, the current system takes quite a bit of getting used to.

5) Dual wielding.
Instead of 0-9 controlling your inventory it could be split up into left and right hand (i.e left and right mouse button) split up into 0-4 and 5-9, effectively allowing the player to wield TWO items at the same time. I'm not sure about the mouse wheel, it could control your primary hand only, let's say the right hand.

6) Automatic, passive use of items.
When certain items are activated for the left or right hand they are automatically used in a passive way.
Example: equip a torch (or perhaps an oil lamp item with limited duration?) in one hand and you get a small, portable source of light. I was also thinking of a dowsing item, but the list is already getting too long. :)

Some "fresh" ideas to make the game, IMO, better than, say minecraft. I'm already having a look at the source code and I'm willing to help out coding them if you guys like any of this.

Cheers!

mstoykov

by mstoykov » Fri Jun 17, 2011 13:49

1) are those portals or where you spawn when you die ?
if it's the first you could've called them portals :) and should be craftable and are nice idea but I suppose OP :P
if this is where you spawn when you die (which AFAIK now is impossible) then I think this should be just bed and you make it your own spawn point (terraria style)
2)there is a problem with fallin leaves block - they can kill you :) (or they should) so there is either no falling or they fall as materials IMO
3)nice the only problem I see is that leaves are now around 3 kinds aka 3 different skins :)
4) I'm really into that as now I mistakenly put things where my product should go which IMO is a bug and I'll report it in a moment :P
5) ah .... the mouse button are used for left -> use (or hit with) right-> put it down so .... I dont think this is good idea except if you or someone else can come up with a new idea about how we use things
6) hm maybe just make an equip slot for such things ? it will be nice to not get to torch just to see what you are doing (not that this works but I suppose celeron will implement it soon) :)
p.s. I think half of our post arent for this threat anymore :)

spongie

by spongie » Sat Jun 18, 2011 08:00

mstoykov: already made a prototype for two hands: http://celeron.55.lt/~celeron55/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=92

mstoykov

by mstoykov » Sat Jun 18, 2011 19:39

Yeah I like it just the e button and do you have a repo somewhere :)

hijera

by hijera » Sun Jun 19, 2011 13:06

what's about using leaf block as fuel for furnace ? it's logically correct, and saves coal for torches.

Return to Minetest Features