Proposal to improve Minetest’s horrible controls

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

Re: Proposal to improve Minetest’s horrible controls

by ABJ » Wed Feb 08, 2017 16:05

Building and digging with keyboard would be prohibitively hard - at least for me. I suggest keeping the most essential functions as these to the mouse.

By the way, I really like Sergey's idea, but I feel that the smooth way to do it, and the way that fits the theme of this whole idea is to allow each command a hotkey, but then hotkeys would be prohibitively long and confusing trying not to be the same.

But of course we could have a teleport function as part of the game separate from commands.

Sergey

by Sergey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 16:29

ABJ wrote:Building and digging with keyboard would be prohibitively hard - at least for me. I suggest keeping the most essential functions as these to the mouse.

By the way, I really like Sergey's idea, but I feel that the smooth way to do it, and the way that fits the theme of this whole idea is to allow each command a hotkey, but then hotkeys would be prohibitively long and confusing trying not to be the same.

But of course we could have a teleport function as part of the game separate from commands.

I don't suggest to dig and build with keyboard for everyone. I suggest the ability to bind any player's action with any mouse/keyboard button. After that, anyone can adjust keybindings for himself or leave them as is.

ABJ

by ABJ » Thu Feb 09, 2017 08:45

Aha! That's better.

Laser0073

GitHub: Laser0073
In-game: Laser0073

by Laser0073 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 20:07

benrob0329 wrote:Yeah, I think that MT touch controlls need to be closer to Survival Craft (Tap and hold = dig, Tap = place/punch entity)

My thoughts exactly. The controls are great, and very playable on Survivalcraft. IDK how difficult it would be to implement something like this...
i5 6500 @3.2GHz, EVGA GTX 960 4GB ssc, 8GB DDR4, ASROCK Pro4S, 128GB.SSD, MT 0.4.15 dev, Ubuntu Studio 16.04LTS

Sergey

by Sergey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 14:28

Besides left and right mouse buttons, I would like to dig/punch and place/use with keyboard as well.

So I want to say that it would be great to bind different mouse/keyboard buttons with the same action.

ABJ

by ABJ » Tue Mar 07, 2017 15:05

Hardcoding something seems to almost always end in disaster.

Previous

Return to Minetest Features