[Game] Minetest Defense

Kalabasa

GitHub: Kalabasa
IRC: Kalabasa
In-game: Kalabasa

[Game] Minetest Defense

by Kalabasa » Fri Jan 16, 2015 08:51

Warning: This is a WIP so expect unbalanced and broken gameplay! Don't expect a complete and working game.

Description of what the game would be when completed:
This is a coop (or singleplayer) game of building, surivival, and defense. Players must build and defend a fortress against waves of monsters to survive. Monsters come every night, with increasing difficulty per night. Nowhere is safe. Not even in your own fortress. During the day, monsters will disintegrate while players repair the fort and gather materials.

+ todo/changelist

Code License: GPL3
Media License: CC BY-SA
Download: https://github.com/Kalabasa/minetest_de ... master.zip

During the day players build their fortress.

Night is approaching! Get ready to defend. Monsters come at night.

Monsters! (The wall isn't high enough, apparently)
Last edited by Kalabasa on Sat Jan 31, 2015 21:24, edited 10 times in total.
insert signature here

maikerumine

GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

Re: [Game] Minetest Defense

by maikerumine » Fri Jan 16, 2015 13:54

OOOOOHHHHH!!!!!! I LIKE! Great idea, I cannot wait to play this!

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Fri Jan 16, 2015 14:51

Quick notes:

I did get this error:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Spawn 5 defense:unggoy at (-106.04752016478,7,-128.66747094955)
Could not open file of texture: fortress_unggoy.png
Intensity: 0.10799029143754
Spawn 1 defense:unggoy at (-138.02163507935,7,-151.45400918979)

And could not find fortress in any of the Lua's I am not sure how this came up, only when a mob would spawn.

I like it! I couldn't build a home quick enough and died, and once I died it was all over for me. LOL. You made a very difficult game here, great job!

Things I would change:

*Give initial items should include 200 cobble, just to get started. A few torches and a stone pick.
*Add sounds to monster when attacking? Maybe, maybe not, the sound might become repetitive.
*Increase the light effect to de-spawning the monster, they were sticking around a bit during the morning and day and I wasn't able to free myself.

Keep up the good work!!

Kalabasa

by Kalabasa » Fri Jan 16, 2015 16:56

Thanks for the reports! I'll add that to the todo list.

fortress was the former name of this mod. I don't know why it still looks for those files.

It's a bit too hard at the moment. Currently it spawns whole horde of monkeys.

Edit:
Right now I'm focusing on adding content. Tweaks come later.

Edit:
Apparently Minetest still searches for the textures saved in the b3d (model file), even though it replaces the texture. The b3d still wants the old fortress texture. I updated the b3d file now.
insert signature here

Enke

GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Sat Jan 17, 2015 04:23

Looks really neat! I think I'll check this out tomorrow, if I get the chance.

EDIT: Well, I couldn't find too many problems here, other than the fact that monsters not only spawned in the day time, but also spawned immediately. Other than that, I had a blast with this game!
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

Napiophelios

GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Sun Jan 18, 2015 02:33

Enke wrote:Well, I couldn't find too many problems here, other than the fact that monsters not only spawned in the day time, but also spawned immediately. Other than that, I had a blast with this game!

Same here...but it didnt matter, its just too much fun!
Those monkeys are relentless!!

Its not bad as just a mod either :)
I added it to a really minimal subgame and it still works great

This is the first game I have played where mobs dont completely bog me down,
I mean virtually no lag whatsoever.

Please Keep up the good work

Kalabasa

by Kalabasa » Mon Jan 19, 2015 08:45

Added a new monster "Sarangay" (or minotaur)
It can break your walls by charging.

Added a new monster "Paniki" (or bat), which is still a wip. They're flying squares at the moment.

It's good to read that mobs weren't eating resources (at least, in your case). There's about 50-70 mobs at a time. (I should control/reduce that since Minetest can't handle more than 49 mobs in one map chunk)
insert signature here

Minetestforfun

GitHub: Darcidride
IRC: Darcidride + MinetestForFun
In-game: Darcidride + MinetestForFun

by Minetestforfun » Tue Jan 20, 2015 23:07

Thank you for your work and your subgame !

Im very interresting about your work on mobs, the "Sarangay" (or minotaur) is awesome ! (maybe i will add it in my server)

Kalabasa

by Kalabasa » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:18

I don't know if it's compatible with other mods.

1. I did not use any of the existing mob libraries/frameworks.
2. It breaks blocks! You may not want your server griefed by some mob.
3. It does not spawn automatically/independently. In this subgame, mobs are spawned by the Director. You should write your own spawning procedure (like ABMs) if you're going to take some mobs.
insert signature here

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Wed Jan 21, 2015 18:22

1) It's adaptable
2) It's a good feature ! =) (but tweaked for choose the destructible blocks)
3) The API can add spawn ABM

I repeat, your ideas and work are very interresting :)

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Wed Jan 21, 2015 22:20

Real quick, I downloaded the latest but the throwing mod folder is empty.

Kalabasa

by Kalabasa » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:42

Thanks for the feedback!

maikerumine wrote:Real quick, I downloaded the latest but the throwing mod folder is empty.

The throwing mod is a git submodule in the repository. Submodules aren't downloaded by default in git, iirc. You should do a git submodule update.

If you used the ZIP option from GitHub... I don't know.

For now, remove the throwing folder. It isn't being used currently anyway (But I plan to include it sometime).
insert signature here

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Thu Jan 22, 2015 20:12

QUICK REVIEW TIME!!

I spent some time at lunch on this game and found it to be incredible. Typically with mobs either elevation or a secure box of cobble does the trick, not this time!

Day one:

Grab some dirt, saplings, and wood. Make a 1x1 tower 18 nodes tall and extend a platform out in a square. Plant a tree and craft a ladder to get down after the monsters leave. First wave, they came in a swarm, I was tense, continued to craft some things... I started seeing red! I was getting attacked?! They were climbing on each others backs to reach the bottom of the platform! WTF!!?? I died, then was lost in the dark only to die a few times over again.

Day two:

Make a underground fort, that will stop them. Made a fort under an island with water access and blocked all but one 1x1 hole to see the mobs. Bad idea, the pressure and amount of monsters eventually popped one through the hole and he got in, I killed him with the sword provided, THANK YOU, and blocked the hole again.

Skip time to a large number, edited the environment parameter to see full force...

Another bad Idea.

This time I had the minotaur bust through and totally let dozens into the fort, I was done!!

So I decided to noclip and fly up through the ground to see the masses...

BATS!! I was getting attacked in the air too!!!

In summary, it was such a white knuckling experience, like pure terror. Knowing you were never going to escape or survive! In hind sight I would gather much more resources and build higher and enclose the fort. I'd like to see a minotaur climb 50 nodes!

Good Game, you did very well with this idea, keep it up!!

Kalabasa

by Kalabasa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 21:21

Implemented two new features:

Music
This is intended to bring suspense to situations, and generally give some life to the game. Incidental music will play at certain events in the game.

The music depends on the tension of the player. I haven't tested this on a network, so the timing may be bad on networks. I haven't tested this on multiplayer too. Currently the same music plays for every player, which is not good, because each player has different tension levels.

Pathfinding
(Some selected) Mobs now find a path to you, instead of running into a wall between you. This may add some CPU usage a bit, especially when you are constantly moving or in an open space. I haven't tested this on multiplayer, but I think processing will increase if players are spread apart. If they are huddled in some place, CPU usage will be as if there is only one player.

Looks like I'm focusing on singleplayer experience for now. Coop play may be unbalanced (too easy), broken (laggggg), or totally unsupported (BSOD (just kidding, just crash)).
insert signature here

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Sat Jan 31, 2015 23:18

Your work on mobs are very impressive, i've never see pathfinding on others mobs mod !
It's a very great improve :)

(maybe you can improve the actual mobs API if you work with other mods mobs creator)
Last edited by Minetestforfun on Wed Feb 04, 2015 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Sun Feb 01, 2015 00:20

Minetestforfun wrote:You work on mobs are very impressive, i've never see pathfinding on others mobs mod !
It's a very great improve :)

(maybe you can improve the actual mobs API if you work with other mods mobs creator)

+1
I second this note. Your mobs are very ruthless, the best I have seen yet. keep up the good work!!!

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Mon Feb 02, 2015 05:53

We had a blast with your game tonight. I started the server with your game instead of our usual map. I didn't tell the wife and kids and insisted we log in at the same moment.
At first they were stunned to see some items in their inventories. I told them we need to work together to build a shelter NOW. So we did. it was a simple cobble box with two windows and a door.
Then dark hit and the kids saw monkey hell running up the mountain at top speed. We were hit a ton of times before we got inside and the door shut.
Noticed monkey heads coming through the door like ghosts, but they didn't seem to come in. Then we noticed green slime covering a window and then the roof started coming apart.
There were five of us trapped inside this cobble box as bats monkey's and God knows what else flooded the inside. All of us complaining how our screens were solid red as we died one by one.
Awesome!
Daylight hit and it was over. So we dug into a mountain as fast as possible and survived the next night huddling together like cowards. Not being able to see what was going on outside was torture as we could hear all kinds of action out there and our laptops were playing eerie music. Surely death was upon us?
We played four hours straight having a blast the whole time.
Our server is a old Core Dual Quad with 4 gigs ram. It is on our LAN. We honestly didn't notice any lag ever running the subgame with no extra mods. That is saying a lot as two of the five laptops were netbooks.
Your models look great! Or what I could see of them. Mostly monkeys and bats. All the mobs were interesting and just crazy! It's hard to kill them as they are moving around so much. But so fun!
Thanks for your work so far, really looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

Wayward_One

GitHub: Wayward1
IRC: Wayward_One Wayward1
In-game: Wayward_One

by Wayward_One » Mon Feb 02, 2015 20:09

Awesome game, I haven't played singleplayer this much since before joining my first server! :D
"When life becomes a play and I don't know the role I'm cast..."

Latest Minetest builds for Android

Mg

GitHub: LeMagnesium
IRC: ElectronLibre Mg
In-game: Mg

by Mg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 21:36

Could you please add your .blend files to the git repository?
It would be great if people need to modify the objects. :)

Mg

GitHub: LeMagnesium
IRC: ElectronLibre Mg
In-game: Mg

by Mg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 21:37

Oups double post, thanks to my computer disconnected half the way (any moderator feel free to remove this one).
So, your game is great, and path finding for mobs is a very helpful feature in AI designs.

Kalabasa

by Kalabasa » Tue May 05, 2015 12:59

Hi

I wasn't able to update this game because of schoolwork (I'm doing my undergraduate thesis right now).

I uploaded the blend files to the repository.

Also, I (accidentally) added the still-incomplete spider enemy "Aranay". It may be buggy.

License is as it is in the license file. (This means you have to put appropriate credit when using the file and use the same license when sharing your version of the file)
Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0) http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
insert signature here

trainwrecktony

In-game: trainwrecktony

by trainwrecktony » Thu Jul 09, 2015 02:55

i've been running a stripped down version of just the bats on my server but been having server crash problems.
i prefer the more natural way your bats fly and attack vs the simple mobs api but i have also converted your ape and minotaur models to run on simple mobs api to better control spawn location and population. awesome models love their animation!

i compile and run dev version of server so that maybe that is issue i'm also running your newest code. i have also added drop on death to the mob.lua that seems to work fine and have also omitted the code line 162
minetest.chat_send_all("dir:" .. minetest.pos_to_string(direction))

here is crash info
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
2015-07-06 01:46:06: ERROR[main]: UNRECOVERABLE error occurred. Stopping server. Please fix the following error:
2015-07-06 01:46:06: ERROR[main]: C:\minetest\bin\..\games\twt\mods\defense/pathfinder.lua:274: attempt to index local 'node' (a nil value)
2015-07-06 01:46:06: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
2015-07-06 01:46:06: ERROR[main]:    C:\minetest\bin\..\games\twt\mods\defense/pathfinder.lua:274: in function 'cost_method'
2015-07-06 01:46:06: ERROR[main]:    C:\minetest\bin\..\games\twt\mods\defense/pathfinder.lua:196: in function 'update'
2015-07-06 01:46:06: ERROR[main]:    C:\minetest\bin\..\games\twt\mods\defense/pathfinder.lua:284: in function <C:\minetest\bin\..\games\twt\mods\defense/pathfinder.lua:283>
2015-07-06 01:46:06: ERROR[main]:    C:\minetest\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:341: in function <C:\minetest\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:329>

In thread 668:
/cygdrive/d/DEV/minetest/minetest/src/server.cpp:505: step: A fatal error occurred: C:\minetest\bin\..\games\twt\mods\defense/pathfinder.lua:274: attempt to index local 'node' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
   C:\minetest\bin\..\games\twt\mods\defense/pathfinder.lua:274: in function 'cost_method'
   C:\minetest\bin\..\games\twt\mods\defense/pathfinder.lua:196: in function 'update'
   C:\minetest\bin\..\games\twt\mods\defense/pathfinder.lua:284: in function <C:\minetest\bin\..\games\twt\mods\defense/pathfinder.lua:283>
   C:\minetest\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:341: in function <C:\minetest\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:329>
Debug stacks:
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD 394:
#0  Thread
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD 48c:
#0  Thread
#1  Receive
(Leftover data: #2  SendBlocks)
(Leftover data: #3  GetNextBlocks)
(Leftover data: #4  serialize)
(Leftover data: #5  loadBlock)
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD 668:
#0  main
#1  Dedicated server branch
#2  dedicated_server_loop
#3  step
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD 970:
#0  Thread
(Leftover data: #1  loadBlock)
(Leftover data: #2  loadBlock)
(Leftover data: #3  deSerialize)
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD bd4:
#0  Thread
(Leftover data: #1  loadBlock)
(Leftover data: #2  loadBlock)
(Leftover data: #3  deSerialize)

bravo on your work, again i love the way the bats fly and hunt. a feature i'd like to see is bat avoiding water or at least taking water damage.

lastly can you explain the code used to spawn and which variables can be modified to reduce number of mobs
defense.director = {}
local director = defense.director
director.call_interval = 1.0
director.intensity_decay = 0.93
director.max_entities = 50
director.spawn_list = {
{
description = "Unggoy group",
name = "defense:unggoy",
intensity_min = 0.0,
intensity_max = 0.6,
group_min = 1,
group_max = 4,
probability = 0.4,
day_start = 0,
spawn_time = 14.0,
spawn_location = "ground",
},
Server Owner trainwrecktony.serveminecraft.net:30000
Server Specs: i5-3570, 16gb, 1tb 7200rpm 64mb cache, Win 2012 r2 x64, Dev mingw x64 minetest build, redis db
Gaming: Clevo W150HNQ, i7-2820, 16gb 1866 hyperx, 256gb Samsung 840 PRO SSD, Nvidia GT 540M, Win 7 Pro x64, Dev mingw x64 minetest build

DoubledNebula51

In-game: DoubledNebula51

by DoubledNebula51 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:11

This sounds like a mod with full potential. Maybe I should try it out? Only one problem though. I don't know how to download mods. Just reading this topic gets me pumped up. I would like to try out this mod. How do I download mods?
I can be an Angle or your worst nightmare! It all depends on you! However, I'm nice by default.

twoelk

by twoelk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 17:04

This is a subgame which among other things includes a collection of mods. It is more than simply a mod.
Simply download the zip-archive linked in the first post and unpack it on your system. Delete the added suffix -"master" from the folder name and drop the folder into the games folder in your Minetest installation. On the next start there should be a new icon on the bottom of the main menu that loads a list of worlds that use that subgame. You may have to create a new world - and the fun can start.

There are threads on the forum about installing subgames and you may want to also visit the Minetest Wiki to learn more about subgames.

linushsao

IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

by linushsao » Tue Sep 15, 2015 15:30

God bless me,after die and die,i finally know the first step is digging a cave, step2 is waitting for sunshine...>_<

Minetestforfun

by Minetestforfun » Thu Sep 17, 2015 07:51

Hi,

Maybe somebody as adapted(or is working to adapt) this subgame for a server use with lobby and closed map like for a HG ?

We(MinetestForFun servers team) will be happy to work on this project :)

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 20:53

an underground monster to discourage hiding in a hole

Why not an hardcore version of Oerkki from mobs_redo ? (2x faster for example)

TheReaperKing

by TheReaperKing » Thu Nov 26, 2015 01:58

Please don't give up on it, it is an awesome idea and a lot of fun! For 4.13 of minetest I copied the "throwing" folder from the adventuretest mod since minetest defense crashes looking for that folder.
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com

Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com

Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:10

nice continue working!!!!!!!!!
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

Glorfindel

GitHub: the1glorfindel
IRC: Glorfindel DoomWeaver
In-game: Glorfindel

by Glorfindel » Fri Apr 01, 2016 21:40

This mod doesn't seem to work for me, night comes but no monsters.

Next

Return to WIP Subgames