[GAME] EpicNode *RPG/MMORPG* [demo]

pinkysnow

GitHub: pinkysnowman

Re: [GAME] EpicNode *RPG/MMORPG* [not for you][Jan-20...Neve

by pinkysnow » Fri Jan 15, 2016 05:50

lol guys, the project is not dead, just not going to keep this up to date as its kinda a pita. that and sometimes i wonder about other things..... but anyways its still on the github page and is up to date there.

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Fri Jan 15, 2016 05:55

Neuromancer wrote:I honestly believe that if you split up your game into a bunch of mods you would see a ton of interest, too many replies lots of comments, more bug reports than you want, and too many suggestions.

you honestly should be able to just drop the game mod into the mods dir and have the whole game as a mod! havent tried it but there are no depends so hell it should work on any server or other game as oly a mod in that way!

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:36

pinkysnow wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:I honestly believe that if you split up your game into a bunch of mods you would see a ton of interest, too many replies lots of comments, more bug reports than you want, and too many suggestions.

you honestly should be able to just drop the game mod into the mods dir and have the whole game as a mod! havent tried it but there are no depends so hell it should work on any server or other game as oly a mod in that way!

I love ya pinky, but you're not getting my point. See my post: Why Minetest is the greatest game ever developed Most of us don't want a huge polished completed thing. We want legos. Little modules of functionality we can snap together and rip apart into endless possible combinations. If I took your whole game, its like playing with a toy truck in my lego kit. I could rip off the wheel, but I couldn't use it to snap onto my legos.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:44

Modularity can also make it easier to develop, imo, as I found with CTF PVP Engine. Although it can cause some problems, occasionally.

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Fri Jan 15, 2016 19:50

well its all so dependent on the specific version of each modbase i have ( as i rewrite alot of things) that its damn near impossiable to seperate without adding even more code and breaking alot of features. now the trees i will do as a mod, maybe the mesh tools as well, possiably the inventory...... but the rest is just all dependent on everything way too much, sorry guys i got the point but its just well, yeah.

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 20:25

pinkysnow wrote:well its all so dependent on the specific version of each modbase i have ( as i rewrite alot of things) that its damn near impossiable to seperate without adding even more code and breaking alot of features. now the trees i will do as a mod, maybe the mesh tools as well, possiably the inventory...... but the rest is just all dependent on everything way too much, sorry guys i got the point but its just well, yeah.

That's all anyone can do is use modular development when it makes sense, and if the components are too inter-related, keep them together. The art of being a great developer (creating maintainable code) is figuring out the best way to organize and group stuff.

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Sat Jan 16, 2016 00:53

Neuromancer wrote:That's all anyone can do is use modular development when it makes sense, and if the components are too inter-related, keep them together. The art of being a great developer (creating maintainable code) is figuring out the best way to organize and group stuff.

"great developer" well i can asure you thats not my title, "noob" is a bit more fitting :P

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Sat Jan 16, 2016 01:27

New damage feature shows the damage dealt by every hit on both mobs and players!

seperate mod for this is here!

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Sat Jan 16, 2016 02:22

feature has been realeased as a seperate mod!

pinkysnow

Re: [GAME] EpicNode *RPG/MMORPG* [demo][Jan-20..]

by pinkysnow » Sat Jan 16, 2016 04:09

im looking for ideas for middle earth style player races and mobs, please shoot me a quick reply if you have any ideas :D

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sat Jan 16, 2016 04:18

Orcs, Elves, Wizards? Barrow Wights, Balrogs?

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Sat Jan 16, 2016 04:53

Neuromancer wrote:Orcs, Elves, Wizards? Barrow Wights, Balrogs?

thanks, now to google some references and see what happens......

Martin_Devil

GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

by Martin_Devil » Sat Jan 16, 2016 20:05

pinkysnow wrote:im looking for ideas for middle earth style player races and mobs, please shoot me a quick reply if you have any ideas :D

Penguin! Oh, yes, I want to see the penguin :)

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Sun Jan 17, 2016 02:45

Martin_Devil wrote:Penguin! Oh, yes, I want to see the penguin :)

this might be easter egg time :D

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Sun Jan 17, 2016 05:33

Tux is now a playable character, he is lacking animation but meh! only issue is you cant get him, only I know how!!!!
for all of you smart arses out there try to play as tux, i don't think you guys will find this easter egg easily

PS: i erased all the old commits so using that to find out isnt going to work. and no sharing if you get him!

Martin_Devil

by Martin_Devil » Sun Jan 17, 2016 07:46

pinkysnow wrote:Tux is now a playable character, he is lacking animation but meh! only issue is you cant get him, only I know how!!!!
for all of you smart arses out there try to play as tux, i don't think you guys will find this easter egg easily

PS: i erased all the old commits so using that to find out isnt going to work. and no sharing if you get him!

WoW, thank you! It looks amazing cute.

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Sun Jan 17, 2016 07:52

Martin_Devil wrote:WoW, thank you! It looks amazing cute.

You are welcome, its hidden for now but its there lol. Also i added the races of elf and orc!

Martin_Devil

by Martin_Devil » Sun Jan 17, 2016 07:58

And LGPL2.1+ is good. Thank's :)

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Sun Jan 17, 2016 08:50

New orc race!

pinkysnow

Re: [GAME] EpicNode *RPG/MMORPG* [demo]

by pinkysnow » Sun Jan 17, 2016 09:43

You can tell im having a late night lol, more stuff!!!
New race, Nymphs(fairies)!

and yes they are tiny and fly all the time

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:11

Wow... just wow. Clearly one of your strengths is artistic ability. All the character races look amazing. Funny I was going to suggest nymphs & dryads to you, but didn't want to steer you wrong. But definitely was a good move. I've got something to propose to you. After seeing DungeonTest, I've been a bit obsessed with it, because it took my wildest dreams for a dungeon system (letting players design and share rooms, traps, loot, etc.) and went beyond what I was hoping for. The more I think about it, I know that a dungeon system is something that you will need, and a Modpack that does that is something that the whole community could use. I'm not sure of the licensing of DungeonTest, but if it is permissive, what are your thoughts of trying to work with Ferk and use as much of his stuff as possible for your RPG? I can envision the following mods that would benefit not just your game, but everyone:
  • Dungeons: Player created and shared rooms.
  • Dungeon Decoration: Ferk really got this one right, cherry picking stuff from castles, x-Decor, home decor and more.
  • Mob Spawners: A system that allows any mob maker be able to plug into it so their mobs can be spawned using spawners. I'm thinking Ferks system is pretty good especially because his spawners are unobtrusive. I've also seen some other good spawner mods around.
  • Loot: A system that handles the placing of chests with loot. There could be a config file that makes it easy for users to add items to it. The file could contain ModName, ItemName, LevelOfDifficulty, & Rarity. This would allow items from any mod to be added to loot. That way, the loot mod could scan through the config file and add things as appropriate. If Ferk's loot system doesn't work you might be able to use Blockmen's.
  • Scrolls: make this optional so folks who are opposed can disable it.
You're going to need most of this stuff anyway, but all of these could be done in a way that creates really useful Mods for everyone, rather than usable by one subgame only.

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:45

@Neuromancer, i will consider it, and thanks for the compliments C:

Another new race, Symbians(lol this is a slight reference to an os i used to do code for)
feline-humanoid like lol :3

PS: they look better from not this angle lol, blender makes them look amazing! just wait till multiplayer time

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Sun Jan 17, 2016 13:19

ah hell, i just added the dwarf race lol :P

Neuromancer

by Neuromancer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 17:46

It looks like Ferk may work on splitting out a DungeonTest modpack from his sub game. You may not have to do much work to get really awesome dungeons and the like.

prof-turbo

by prof-turbo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 20:42

Your work is very impressive, especially on new characters (forks will come :p ). I hope this subgame will not be too heavy.

P.S : can you stop all those texts with kawai colors and tremendous font sizes ? they're just hurting my brain...

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Sun Jan 17, 2016 20:52

prof-turbo wrote:Your work is very impressive, especially on new characters (forks will come :p ). I hope this subgame will not be too heavy.

P.S : can you stop all those texts with kawai colors and tremendous font sizes ? they're just hurting my brain...

Thank you very much :3
and i run a modified build that shows lag in realtime not the max_lag with my lag hud as well and it stays around 0.15 seconds with a few 0.3-0.5 spikes around a 10-15 second interval on a slow 11 year old pc, also i get 6-8fps on far range with a onboard ~64mb graphics so the mesh is no issue C:

PS: But the bold nature is my style

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Mon Jan 18, 2016 03:42

im considering adding races:
*undead
*cyclops
*tech(steampunk bionic ish)
*dark elf
*troll

Any ideas/comments/sugestions?

Also im adding a fish( as a weapon for humor ) enchanted staffs,
working on potions/enchantments, epic armor for the classes(not just an overlay but 3d nice stuff), creating animated water textures, adding shems for simple buildings and quest things, fiddeling with mapgen seep and settings so i can generate the same map every time( as an option)

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Mon Jan 18, 2016 06:29

Looking good! Nice to see all those new races, is it going to be possible to switch from one to the another when you die? Is permadeath going to be an option too?

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:04

Dragonop wrote:Looking good! Nice to see all those new races, is it going to be possible to switch from one to the another when you die? Is permadeath going to be an option too?

it uses a mmorpg like death meathod, you gohst out for 15 seconds, lose interact ( also you cant drowned or get attacked by mobs[pvp while dead i just now remembered as i will fix] then you just run around till you respawn)
Switching races is something that will be a setting as its default as after the inital join you are set with that character( yet to be coded in)

pinkysnow

by pinkysnow » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:34

I am working on adding a wiki for the game! :3
EpicNode Wiki

PreviousNext

Return to WIP Subgames