[Game] MineClone 2 [0.17.0]

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.16.0]

by Wuzzy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 21:10

PEAK wrote:I didn't encounter any crashes, but need "stay_inside" (You were too far away...).

What is stay_inside and why do you need it?

I miss "sethome" -- doesn't something like this exist in Minecraft?

I just checked in the Minecraft Wiki and I found a “home” command for teleporting the player back to the spawn point (=bed). There's no “sethome”, however.

In v0.16.0:
When I place a chest...
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
WARNING[Main]: GUIFormSpecMenu::drawList(): The inventory location "nodemeta:-513,8,1065" doesn't exist

... the chest is not working -- I cannot store something in it.
Digging the chest and placing it anew helps sometimes ... particularly if I place it facing another direction. ???

I can't reproduce this. :-(
Does this happen with new worlds, too? Did you really use a normal chest or a large chest?

Wield image for mcl_wool:silver_carpet is missing.

Fixed.

I dug like crazy but could not find even one Emerald -- and no Lapislazuli. Are they so rare?
Redstone in contrast seems very common -- much more than in v0.15.0 (or 0.14.0?) - is this intended (although I like to get much redstone)?

Yes, redstone ore is very common in Minecraft, it is more common than iron ore and less common than coal ore. But only appears in the depths.
Emerald ore is extremely rare, rarer than diamond ore. In Minecraft, it is also supposed to only appear in one particular biome. Emeralds are mainly used for trading, not mining.
Lapis lazupi ore has about the same rarity as diamond ore in Minecraft. But its ores drop 4-8 lapis lazuli instead of just 1.
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/File:Per ... Height.png

The highest likelihood of lapis lazuli ore is between Y=-48 and Y=-46. Lapis lazuli will gradually become less common above and below these heights.

Ore generation has been improved in previous versions, but I'm sure it's not perfect yet. I probably should try to run some analysis to count the percentage of ores which ACTUALLY get generated, and then compare it with Minecraft's, then I can be sure. :-)
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

PEAK

In-game: PEAK

by PEAK » Tue Mar 21, 2017 13:03

Wuzzy wrote:What is stay_inside and why do you need it?

It happens that the player is randomly teleported beyond the limits of the world for some reason. Then the game crashes -- it’s annoying. My Minetest version is 0.4.15 stable, and it occurs still from time to time.
see https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=10273 (it's removed from the forum but does still good job for me)

Chests:
Yes it was a new world created for MineClone 2 v0.16.0.
Now I created a new world - the same: sometimes (not everytime) the chests are not working.
- placing another chest next to it -> big chest -- is ok.
- removing the new half of the big chest -> remaining chest is ok.
Other scenario: place a chest - not working. Place another chest not connected to the first one: first chest is working, second not.
After a while both chests are working.
Strange!

Wuzzy wrote:I just checked in the Minecraft Wiki and I found a “home” command for teleporting the player back to the spawn point (=bed). There's no “sethome”, however.

Ok. A "home" command would be very useful. At least in creative mode.

Wuzzy wrote:The highest likelihood of lapis lazuli ore is between Y=-48 and Y=-46. Lapis lazuli will gradually become less common above and below these heights.

That is narrow! good to know. But: more rare than gold? In former versions I found more Lapis and Emeralds or rather some at all.

There is more I think is TODO:
  • Chain armor lacks crafting recipe
  • Spawning endermen leave holes of 1 block in landscape (ugly) -- they seem so spawn a block below the surface
  • Villagers and many mobs can walk on water -- my dogs play submarine
  • in creative mode digging without tools is very fast: often I acidentally dig more than I wanted.
  • in the crafting guide e.g. "iron ore can be cooked to iron ingot" -- but in survival digged iron ore drops iron ingot.edit: Forget that, I was wrong!
  • my player's armor is not shown when I press F7
I wish...
  • my pack of tamed wolves would bark (when attacking)
  • and untamed wolves howl at the moon...
  • a category about mobs in the help system
Last edited by PEAK on Tue Mar 21, 2017 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
Never put more than three blocks of the same kind together,
but if so, do it with appropriate remorse.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Tue Mar 21, 2017 13:09

PEAK wrote:There is more I think is TODO:
  • Chain armor lacks crafting recipe >>> it hasn't one in MC
  • Spawning endermen leave holes of 1 block in landscape (ugly) -- they seem so spawn a block below the surface >>> Endermens steal blocks it's like in minecraft
  • Villagers and many mobs can walk on water -- my dogs play submarine >>> Uh? Swimming?
  • in creative mode digging without tools is very fast: often I acidentally dig more than I wanted. >>> it's worst in MC
    I wish...
    • my pack of tamed wolves would bark (when attacking) >>> it is needed!
    • and untamed wolves howl at the moon... >>> not in MC
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

PEAK

by PEAK » Tue Mar 21, 2017 13:27

azekill_DIABLO wrote:Chain armor lacks crafting recipe >>> it hasn't one in MC

OK, it should be removed.

azekill_DIABLO wrote:>>> Endermens steal blocks it's like in minecraft

Bad guys!

azekill_DIABLO wrote:>>> Uh? Swimming?

It's more like walking under and over water.

azekill_DIABLO wrote:>>> it's worst in MC ...
>>> not in MC

Cloning must not mean not to improve.
Attachments
Swimming.png
Swimming.png (295.07 KiB) Viewed 16642 times

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Tue Mar 21, 2017 13:45

villagers have super powers, i knew it :)
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 14:58

PEAK wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:What is stay_inside and why do you need it?

It happens that the player is randomly teleported beyond the limits of the world for some reason. Then the game crashes -- it’s annoying. My Minetest version is 0.4.15 stable, and it occurs still from time to time.
see https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=10273 (it's removed from the forum but does still good job for me)

Oh no, not this random teleportation bug again! It never happened in MineClone 2 so far, but I heard of it that it happened to others in the past.
I thought it was fixed since ages ago and if I recall correctly it was a Minetest bug. What operation system do you use? Does this happens in other subgames, too?

Chests:
Yes it was a new world created for MineClone 2 v0.16.0.
Now I created a new world - the same: sometimes (not everytime) the chests are not working.
- placing another chest next to it -> big chest -- is ok.
- removing the new half of the big chest -> remaining chest is ok.
Other scenario: place a chest - not working. Place another chest not connected to the first one: first chest is working, second not.
After a while both chests are working.
Strange!

I have now found by sheer luck such a chest which doesn't work. Digging and placing it again makes it work again. Bug confirmed and high priority. This is going to be “fun”. xD

[*]Chain armor lacks crafting recipe

There is none in Minecraft either, so you can't get one when not playing in Creative Mode. Chain armor will become available by trading with villagers. But I might add a temporary crafting recipe for the time until that.

[*]Spawning endermen leave holes of 1 block in landscape (ugly) -- they seem so spawn a block below the surface

Endermen in Minecraft like to borrow blocks and place them somewhere again. In MineClone 2, they don't place the blocks (yet).

[*]Villagers and many mobs can walk on water -- my dogs play submarine

This is called “swimming”. xD Intentional. Although I think it needs improvement badly.

[*]in creative mode digging without tools is very fast: often I acidentally dig more than I wanted.

This is intentional. But I heard in Minecraft you can use the sword to prevent digging. This is still not implemented.

[*]my player's armor is not shown when I press F7[/list]

OK, I need to know exactly what you did before (equip armor / join / etc.) you pressed F7. Let's say, tell me the previous 10 actions. Also: Is the armor still invisible when you re-equip it?
MineClone 2 SHOULD update the armor rendering when you equip, unequip, you join, etc. but it might be possible that I forgot some situations.

I wish...
  • my pack of tamed wolves would bark (when attacking)

• and untamed wolves howl at the moon...

Mobs are not on my priority list at this moment. Note I will only implement gameplay features found in Minecraft, since this game is intended to be a clone. See also the “Scope” section in the 1st post.

• a category about mobs in the help system

Suggestion accepted. I've planned this anyway. Although I am not too happy in giving too much information about mobs in-game. I think animal behaviour can be safely exposed (especially for breeding) but I'm not so sure about monsters. The player should also try to figure out the mob behaviour alone. I need to think about how I will add mob help, but it is definitely planned.

Oh, for those who missed it, here is the project scope of MineClone 2:
Wuzzy wrote:Scope
The main focus lies on cloning the gameplay of Minecraft as good as possible and I try to be very strict about this. Blocks and items should be identical at the end.
I will take more freedoms on the graphics, the look and feel (and sounds) and especially the GUI. I still try to catch the general GUI look and feel as good as I can, but I will not be crazy about it.
Where I find technical limits, I will ignore them. Where I find poor usability, I think of something better.

PEAK

by PEAK » Tue Mar 21, 2017 20:02

Wuzzy wrote:Oh no, not this random teleportation bug again!

Yes, the rtb (random teleportation bug) is omnipresent for me. Doesn't matter if old world, new world, many mods, vanilla minetest game, this subgame or that. So I think it's not caused by any subgame or mod.

Armor:
Wuzzy wrote:OK, I need to know exactly what you did before (equip armor / join / etc.) you pressed F7. Let's say, tell me the previous 10 actions. Also: Is the armor still invisible when you re-equip it?

It's misterious; a while ago today I made this screenshot: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156&p=259293#p259255 and closed Minetest. I'm sure I played for many (game-) days with armor on which was never shown (F7).
Later now I read your new post and started Minetest again for testing this issue ... pressed F7 ... and my player stood there in full armor. (can minetest read my mind?) Then I put off the helmet - F7 - ok, put on the helmet - F7 - ok. walked only a few steps, did absolutely nothing else: F7 - no armor. Putting temporarily off a part of the armor helped then. Sorry, I can't say more.

Chain armor:
Ok, I thought: if it is in the crafting guide (repair), it will be implemented.

Wuzzy wrote:But I heard in Minecraft you can use the sword to prevent digging. This is still not implemented.

That sounds interesting.

Wuzzy wrote:Mobs are not on my priority list at this moment.

I thought so. Therefore I wrote "I wish" ;)

zing269

by zing269 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 20:31

A creeper exploded near where I had set some torches and while the blocks the torches were placed on were destroyed some torches remained lit and in place. The same for a nearby plant. Punching one of the still standing torches caused it and some of the others to fall, as well as the plant. This behavior seems to hold true with other blocks that should fall, like sand. I couldn't recreate the same behavior with TNT.

Also, I died while holding a drawn bow and after I respawned the dropped bow was still drawn. Picking it up resulted in a drawn bow in inventory.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Wed Mar 22, 2017 04:52

Sea Wolf? Is that similar to Land Shark?
Flick?... Flick who?

burli

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.15.0]

by burli » Wed Mar 22, 2017 19:23

Wuzzy wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty sure the zombie drops are correct, but correct me if I'm wrong. It's probably because of the high mob frequency.

Shovels and other things are rare drops with a chance of only 2.5%

spyjoshx

In-game: spyjoshx

by spyjoshx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 19:00

Two questions from me:

1. Is there a place where information can be gotten about things like crafting recipes and portal structures? Kinda like a wiki?

2. I've used sofar's MC texture pack converter script to import my MC textures, but some things (like doors, alt stone types, crafting tables) don't use the mc textures. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help, and good work on this game!

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 04:16

1. Is there a place where information can be gotten about things like crafting recipes and portal structures? Kinda like a wiki?

Yes. Inside of MineClone 2.
It has a built-in crafting guide which shows you all the crafting recipes. Recently a in-game help system was added which aims to provide help about basically everything you need to know. You find both in your inventory menu.

The help is already pretty extensive, but there are still some things missing here and there, so you can expect to see some improvements in the future.
There will be no official wiki for MineClone 2 because I consider it redundant to the in-game help and for many other reasons.
If anyone finds a problem with the in-game help or the crafting guide, please report it.

Portal structures do not exist yet.

Textures are kind of messy in MineClone 2. While I usually try to use the unchanged textures from the texture pack without changes (in fact, most textures are copied verbatim) , sometimes this is not possible or I haven't figured out how to use it. One common example is colorization. Minetest actually has a colorization modifier but I never seem to get the color I want.
Mob textures are probably the worst offenders as of now.
I also don't know if sofar's texture pack converter even supports MineClone 2 yet or if it is part of its goals. But I should definitely be more careful with importing textures in future and not try to alter them. I try to document whenever I was forced edit a texture, so that texture pack converters can somehow rely on this information.

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Fri Mar 24, 2017 07:17

Wuzzy wrote:I also don't know if sofar's texture pack converter even supports MineClone 2 yet or if it is part of its goals.

It depends.

If mineclone uses a reasonable set of filenames for textures that doesn't conflict with minetest_game, then we can just add the translations from MC to mineclone and it should work. (and I'm more than happy to merge those patches as-is, it's just not on my timeline now to work on that).

If there are conflicts, I have to choose between breaking minetest_game and breaking mineclone, and I'd rather not break minetest_game.

Maybe a mineclone fan can do this? It's not terribly hard. Even a manual scribble text with "this mc texture path to this filename.png" will do and I can work with.

cHyper

IRC: cHyper
In-game: cHyper

by cHyper » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:36

by the way the mapper GUI is not work for this version of subgame! When U use the mapper nothing will be generated on the map! But I dont know why?!!
Thanks!

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 20:43

I don't know what you mean with “the mapper GUI”.
The minimap works for me.
To access the minimap in MineClone 2, you first have to obtain the map item which you can craft. Then hit F9 (the minimap key).

Make sure you use version 0.16.0 in Minetest 0.4.15.

The minimap itself comes from Minetest, not MineClone 2. Can you maybe give a screenshot of what is wrong? Because I have no idea why this happens

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 22:22

They mean the external mapper, and it's likely due to node names changing so colors.txt not being correct

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Sat Mar 25, 2017 09:50

lol. Pink dirt.

cHyper

by cHyper » Sat Mar 25, 2017 16:25

Wuzzy wrote:I don't know what you mean with “the mapper GUI”.
The minimap works for me.
To access the minimap in MineClone 2, you first have to obtain the map item which you can craft. Then hit F9 (the minimap key).

Make sure you use version 0.16.0 in Minetest 0.4.15.

The minimap itself comes from Minetest, not MineClone 2. Can you maybe give a screenshot of what is wrong? Because I have no idea why this happens

its not the minimap, i mean the external mapper for 2D-Maps...
different names are the big problem, we need a new config-file for this mapper, than it should be function again...
thanks.

cHyper

by cHyper » Sat Mar 25, 2017 16:26

rubenwardy wrote:They mean the external mapper, and it's likely due to node names changing so colors.txt not being correct

thats its...

different names are the big problem, we need a new config-file for this mapper, than it should be function again...
thanks.

toby109tt

GitHub: tobyplowy
In-game: Toby109tt

by toby109tt » Sun Mar 26, 2017 00:28

Last update is 3 days ago D:
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) i love pixels and voxels ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Bu_Gee

GitHub: Bu-Gee
In-game: Bu_Gee

by Bu_Gee » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:30

Hey Wuzzy.

I finally got a chance to use the help the other day for real when I was messing with melons and pumpkins and I noticed that they were in different categories when in my mind, at least at the time, were kind of the same, vis, agricultural products.

Maybe it might be beneficial to have something like an index where everything can be so that we don't have to search through categories when we're looking for help on a specific item.

Also, I might just be being thick here, but is there a way to navigate back from the help and the crafting guide back to the inventory without exiting from it completely? It's not a killer feature, but it might be a nice thing to have.

But I should say that both the help and the crafting guide have been immensely helpful especially since I've not played Minecraft before.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 15:15

Bu_Gee wrote:Hey Wuzzy.

I finally got a chance to use the help the other day for real when I was messing with melons and pumpkins and I noticed that they were in different categories when in my mind, at least at the time, were kind of the same, vis, agricultural products.

Both melons and pumpkins are in the Blocks category. I don't understand your problem.

Maybe it might be beneficial to have something like an index where everything can be so that we don't have to search through categories when we're looking for help on a specific item.

Sounds interesting. Could maybe be done by adding a “pseudo” category. I also planned to add a simple search/filter feature.

Also, I might just be being thick here, but is there a way to navigate back from the help and the crafting guide back to the inventory without exiting from it completely? It's not a killer feature, but it might be a nice thing to have.

Yes, this would be definitely a needed feature. It annoys me, too. It is kind of annoying to have no “back” button and is usability 101. xD

But I should say that both the help and the crafting guide have been immensely helpful especially since I've not played Minecraft before.

Good to know. I hope you also don't need to watch Minecraft videos or read the Minecraft Wiki anymore to understand the game. Because this is the whole point of all this. :-)
Whenever you stumple upon a hard-to-understand text or still do not understand a block/item, please let me know.

Note that the core of the help system is developed independently of MineClone 2, but it is also done by me. So new help features will generally be added to the original modpack, MineClone 2 just tracks its development. But the end result for you is still the same. :-)

Bu_Gee

GitHub: Bu-Gee
In-game: Bu_Gee

by Bu_Gee » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:56

Wuzzy wrote:Both melons and pumpkins are in the Blocks category. I don't understand your problem.

Now it makes sense that they're in blocks, but I originally found the melon slice first under miscellaneous items because I was convinced the neither were blocks, at least in my mind.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Tue Mar 28, 2017 15:56

melons and pupmpkin are far too common
here you can see lot of them and it's not a particular luck.
Attachments
screenshot_20170328_175440.jpg
screenshot_20170328_175440.jpg (925.56 KiB) Viewed 16290 times

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:30

I have a very interesting thing for you:
https://github.com/22i/minecraft-voxel-blender-models

Edit: i'm back! the topic freezer! killing a thread in one post >:-)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 22:02

Yes, I saw this repository as well. All this looks very nice.
But as I already said many times, mobs are currently not a priority and I guess it is still a lot of work to actually include the mobs. But if someone has a nice patch for me, I will probably merge it. No matter if new mob or improving a low quality existing one.

What I wish:
- Mob model in correct file format
- With animation
- Basic mob definition (does not need to be perfect, it's good enough when it exists; even a dummy is OK, as long the model is fine)
- If possible: Texture is compatible with the original Minecraft texture, so texture packs can be easily converted.

I will (hopefully) eventually try to work on mobs myselves eventually when other things are more or less complete. Namely: All or most of the blocks, and basic mapgen. But I also have to seriously beef up my non-existing skills about modeling. xD

About melons and pumpkins: I still need to learn a lot about how the mapgen works. MineClone 2 still used v6 which only has hardcoded biomes, no biome API support. When I add real biomes, the mapgen will improve a lot.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Fri Mar 31, 2017 05:11

Wuzzy wrote:About melons and pumpkins: I still need to learn a lot about how the mapgen works. MineClone 2 still used v6 which only has hardcoded biomes, no biome API support. When I add real biomes, the mapgen will improve a lot.

This is some helpful info I got from paramat when I was looking to thin out the trees on my subgame.
I imagine the same info is helpful regarding pumpkins and melons.

-- for trees generation:

Re: Post your mapgen questions here (modding or engine)

by paramat » Mon Jan 09, 2017 16:12
"I guess if a biome is not found a decoration will then be placed in all biomes, so also delete any unwanted decorations.

Don't touch 'persist'. You want to adjust 'offset' and 'scale'.
'offset' is the average density, 'scale' is the density variation either side of 'offset'.
So for patches set 'offset' to 0.0, this way exactly half the surface area is covered by that decoration.
Since you have 3 tree types in one biome you need to reduce 'scale' to reduce density.
'spread' is the rough spacing of the patches, in nodes, so you may want to reduce that.

Then, for logs to have the same distribution as the corresponding tree, make sure the noise params for the log matches the tree, except, simply halve 'offset' and 'scale'.

Note that all tree types have the same 'seed' so their distributions will be similar as in your screenshot, differing seeds will create differing distributions."

Hope this proves to be of some help.
Flick?... Flick who?

sergio rois

GitHub: sergio
IRC: serggio
In-game: sergio

by sergio rois » Fri Mar 31, 2017 17:22

falta animales

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 16:47

Thanks for the insight. Melons and pumpkins are a bit less common now. Feel free to test this in the developer version and tell me how balanced you think it is.

I will probably release version 0.17.0 tomorrow.

I also announce that I will pause MineClone 2 development for the rest of April 2017 (or so) after the next release.
I plan to continue MineClone 2 development in May 2017.
I'll make an exception for serious and critical bugs (crashes, unplayable game, etc.) within this month. I will still try to fix them as fast as I can. But no new features for a while.

Question: Does anyone still experience the weird disconnect / “peer_id” bug which has been posted a long time ago?:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16407&start=125#p251230

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Sat Apr 01, 2017 16:49

No bug like this. But i got crashing because lua was out of memory... around 30MG used!!! it's crazy!

PreviousNext

Return to WIP Subgames