[Game] MineClone 2 [0.17.0]

Bu_Gee

GitHub: Bu-Gee
In-game: Bu_Gee

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.10.0]

by Bu_Gee » Fri Feb 17, 2017 15:56

Hey Wuzzy.

+1 on the great subgame. I've been streaming daily GIT pulls on it on Twitch for the past 10 days or so and it hasn't disappointed.

I looked at the README and I didn't see your preferred way of accepting bug reports. Just a suggestion to add that for fellow bug reporters. I will report the bug here since this is the only place I can find for the time-being:

When you shift-click an item to move it to a double-chest, it stops working after the top half of the chest is full.

Jaen

In-game: Jaen

by Jaen » Fri Feb 17, 2017 16:25

Found a few bugs while testing fishing.

1.) The fishing pole currently has infinite item durability, it should deplete and break like any other tool.

2.) While fishing one of the items fished up gives the unknown item icon in your inventory, while holding the item and pressing Q to try to drop the item, the error log shows mcl_core:book not defined.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 17:35

Thanks, Bu_Gee, for the bug report. Yes, posting here for bug reports is currently appropriate. I think it is now really about time to add a real bug tracker, I really do not have an excuse for that. I'm currently looking around for a good one.

I have noticed shift-clicking problem, too. Sadly, it seems with the current Minetest version, there is apparently no clean way to implement this correctly. Technically, the large chest is made out of 2 inventories (one for each “half”), but the shift-clicking feature in Minetest only supports transfer between exactly two inventories. I can't make Minetest put the item in another inventory should the first one be full. I will post a feature request for Minetest.

Oh, and I managed to find your videos on YouTube. I saw how you desperately tried to make a torch in the first episode. It's so embarrassing that I fucked up the torch recipe. :D
I also saw some other episodes and fixed some small bugs you've stumpled upon while playing (e.g. spider was hostile but should have been neutral).
But it's still good you came here to report the bug.

I'm happy that someone is actually doing a Let's Play series on this. As a developer, I think Let's Plays give invaluable insight and help a lot in finding rough edges, so thank you for doing this.

PS: The volume level in your Let's Play series is very low.

1.) The fishing pole currently has infinite item durability, it should deplete and break like any other tool.

Thx. I'll look into that. Fishing pole is very WIP anyway. It is way too simple and totally overpowered, it is basically free food at the moment.

2.) While fishing one of the items fished up gives the unknown item icon in your inventory, while holding the item and pressing Q to try to drop the item, the error log shows mcl_core:book not defined.

Ooops. Insta-fixed and pushed. :D

But the fact that you can't get throw away unknown items is a Minetest bug. I should report it. As a workaround, you can destroy an unknown item by wielding it, then saying “/pulverize” in chat.
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

Bu_Gee

by Bu_Gee » Fri Feb 17, 2017 22:09

Wuzzy wrote:Oh, and I managed to find your videos on YouTube. I saw how you desperately tried to make a torch in the first episode. It's so embarrassing that I fucked up the torch recipe. :D
I also saw some other episodes and fixed some small bugs you've stumpled upon while playing (e.g. spider was hostile but should have been neutral).

Heh. I was wondering why the bugs always were getting fixed the day after I discovered them. Nice work, and I'm glad the videos are of use in any way to anybody. :p

The game is already so good that I currently plan on running at least an hour or so of stream each day as long as you're actively developing, so keep up the good work and let me know if I can test out anything for you in regular game-play or help out in any other way.

Jaen

by Jaen » Sat Feb 18, 2017 02:46

Here is a quick fix to soil.lua so tilled soil is wet 4 blocks from a water source instead of the current 3 to make MineClone2 more Minecraft-like.

Path:
mods\ITEMS\mcl_farming\soil.lua

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
minetest.register_abm({
   nodenames = {"mcl_farming:soil"},
   interval = 15,
   chance = 3,
   action = function(pos, node)
      if minetest.find_node_near(pos, 3, {"mcl_core:water_source", "mcl_core:water_flowing"}) then
         node.name = "mcl_farming:soil_wet"
         minetest.set_node(pos, node)
      end
   end,
})

Edit the line:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
if minetest.find_node_near(pos, 3, {"mcl_core:water_source", "mcl_core:water_flowing"}) then

To this:
if minetest.find_node_near(pos, 4, {"mcl_core:water_source", "mcl_core:water_flowing"}) then

Jaen

by Jaen » Sat Feb 18, 2017 06:13

I've done some testing with shears and this is what I've found so far.

Shears on a cobweb should harvest a cobweb. Currently MineClone2 gives a string.
Note: Using a sword on cobweb should give string, but shears should give cobweb.
#Reference: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/15w47c

Shears on a dead bush should harvest a dead bush. Currently MineClone2 gives sticks.
Note: Using anything other than shears should give sticks, but shears should give dead bush.
#Reference: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/12w05a

Shears on a fern should harvest a fern.
Shears on a large fern should harvest a large fern.
#Reference: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Shears

Shears on leaves should harvest leaf block for that tree type.
Note: Leaf blocks collected by using shears do not decay when placed.
#Reference: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Shears

Shears on tall grass should harvest tall grass.
Note: This currently works in MineClone2.

Shears on a vine should harvest a vine.

Shears on a sheep should harvest wool.

daufinsyd

GitHub: daufinsyd
In-game: daufinsyd

by daufinsyd » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:53

Nice work breaker of worlds ! :D ^^

I added a new mob (squid) which spawns anywhere in the water and drops black dye (1-3) according to Minecraft Wiki.
https://gitlab.com/daufinsyd/MineClone2/tree/squid

It works fine however the collision box isn't accurate (when mobs rotate) and mobs stay at the same height, but it seems this issue come from mobs redo itself.

Mesh and texture from 22i https://github.com/22i/minecraft-voxel-blender-models.
I did the animation, egg texture and the sound.

serp

In-game: serp

by serp » Sat Feb 18, 2017 17:42

This is an awesome subgame. We are now using it often.

I really enjoy the inventory from it and would like to use it elsewhere. I've looked through the mods but it's not obvious to me where it's defined. Is the inventory able to be separated and used elsewhere?

daufinsyd

GitHub: daufinsyd
In-game: daufinsyd

by daufinsyd » Sat Feb 18, 2017 21:05

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 23:59

Bu_Gee wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:Heh. I was wondering why the bugs always were getting fixed the day after I discovered them.

I think I only fixed 1 or 2 bugs. I think many bugs you found I just fixed by a lucky coincidence. I found your Let's Play series shortly before your first post.

@Jaen: Bugfix applied!

The digging times of ALL the things need to be reworked, not just the shears. Don't waste your time testing the digging times, you will only find out they are completely all over the place. ;-)
I think I need some to time to get the digging times right, also the system appears to work differently than in Minetest which makes things a bit trickier. But I think I'll find a way.

@serp: The mod you ask for is found in HUD/craftingpack/crafting. It is based on another mod somewhere found on the forums (not the one posted before me, it looks like a fork) and heavily reworked because it was buggy as hell. Also the creative tabs were very shoddily implemented. If you wondered how the creative inventory in the original mod managed to sort all the items, the answer is mostly by heuristics and by checking for patterns in item names. In other words, it's mostly luck when the items ended up in the correct tabs. Very, very ugly. MineClone 2 sorts the items based on groups and metadata.

I am very aware the MineClone 2 version would be very useful outside of MineClone 2. The creative tab system is currently not something which can be used outside of MineClone 2. It relies on the fact that the item definitions explicitly include the correct creative inventory category. Groups are used for this, but they are MineClone 2-exclusive, sadly.
Currently, such a mod could only use categories like blocks/tools/items (like in Minetest Game) but not much beyond that.

I think the real solution to this problem would be if the modding community came togehter one day and define a set of standard groups for making all the different items which come from 100s of mods easier parsable. Groups are a great thing, but I think they are still not used to their full potential.

-----------

Oh, and I finally put something like a bug tracker online:
https://github.com/Wuzzy2/MineClone2-Bugs

I haven't found anything better than this, but it's better than nothing. This is only the bug tracker, not the actual repository! And I'm not sure if I want to keep it, but if it stays online for a week or so, then the answer is probably “yes”. I would be very glad if anyone could point me to a better bug tracker as I am pretty disappointed with GitHub's feature set. If you know of a better bugtracker, please tell me! What is especially important to me is that it offers some way to extract the raw data. I see no way in GitHub to do this, so any future transition will probably be extremely painful.

Jaen

by Jaen » Sun Feb 19, 2017 01:18

@Wuzzy : Actually I didn't mention anything about dig times with shears, I was saying that using shears on different objects in the world, like cobweb, dead bush, leaves, etc.. is suppose to drop that item on ground like it does when you use shears on tall grass. This has nothing to do with dig times, but I do realize those are a bit off, but I understand there is a difference between MC and MT.

Basically
if you use shears on cobweb, it should drop a cobweb, not a string.
if you use sword on cobweb, it should drop a string.
if you use shears on dead bush, it should drop a dead bush.
if you use shears on fern, it should drop a fern.
if you use shears on leaves, it should drop leaf block of that tree type.

To understand what I mean, in MineClone2 use shears on tall grass, then use something different than shears on the next tall grass you see. Shears will drop tall grass, anything else will either drop nothing or drop seeds. This is correct. Now, use shears on a fern.. it will drop nothing, this is wrong and needs fixed. Then rinse and repeat for the others mentioned above that are missing. Of course these are minor issues, and I understand if you want to work on other things first, I was just bringing these issues to your attention and explaining your misunderstanding to what I was pointing out. :)

Although I don't say it in every post, I do appreciate all the updates you make to this subgame. I check the shortlog and update multiple times each day to play the current snapshot. :)

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 01:29

Oh, THAT. Different drops with different tools. A.K.A. drop levels. Yes, this is also implemented at ca. 0%. IMO this is a quite important thing to implement; I just shied away from it so far. ;-)

Jaen

by Jaen » Sun Feb 19, 2017 04:11

Found a crash when breaking empty double chests. I also tested this using a single chest in normal Minetest 0.4.15 without any mods and I didn't get this crash, so it's definitely a crash in MineClone2.

I took screenshots to make it easier to reproduce the crash. In these photos I had placed a crafting table and a furnace under a double chest because that's how I did it in my test world, but you could place any block.

Screenshot 1 of 3 - Everything worked fine, but I wanted to move stuff around..

Screenshot 2 of 3 - Broke the crafting table and furnace (all went smooth)

Screenshot 3 of 3 - When breaking double chest.. CRASH

Ignore this post, somehow my world got corrupted and caused all containers to do this but after a fresh unzip of Minetest and the MineClone2 subgame, I no longer get this crash. I'm not sure what happened but I can no longer reproduce this crash. My bad, lol
Last edited by Jaen on Sun Feb 19, 2017 06:20, edited 3 times in total.

Jaen

by Jaen » Sun Feb 19, 2017 04:42

Ignore this post, somehow my world got corrupted and caused all containers to do this but after a fresh unzip of Minetest and the MineClone2 subgame, I no longer get this crash. I'm not sure what happened but I can no longer reproduce this crash. Sorry.
Last edited by Jaen on Sun Feb 19, 2017 06:21, edited 3 times in total.

Jaen

by Jaen » Sun Feb 19, 2017 05:42

Edited this post because the double chest crash was on my end, unfortunately you can't delete forum posts here lol, or at least I haven't figured out how yet. Sorry for these last 3 posts by me Wuzzy. I'll be sure to check with fresh unzips for now on before i post.

Demose

by Demose » Sun Feb 19, 2017 08:03

Wuzzy wrote:If you know of a better bugtracker, please tell me!

I'm aware of Redmine. http://www.redmine.org/

Wuzzy

Criteria for inclusion of media files

by Wuzzy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 03:33

Actually I don't just want a bug tracker, but a service which also hosts it. I think GitHub is really just one of the few which offers it for free.
@Jaen: Hehe, funny. The bug was fixed in 0.10.0, but I accidentally re-introduced it in developmet again, and thanks to you, I found it. It's now fixed again. What a coincidence. :D

Okay, from now on I will introduce a strict policy on requests for inclusion of media files such as mob models:

If you authored it, tell me:
  • That you authored it
  • Did you derive it from something else (and what was it?)?
  • Optional: Special license choice. If you don't say anything, I assume LGPLv2.1 (the license of this project)
If someone else authored it, tell me:
  • Who did it
  • Under which license or conditions (must be free software and/or free culture license, see below)
  • Optional but VERY appreciated: source (link is enough)

Good licenses are: WTFPL, MIT License, Unlicense, BSD License (2-clause or 3-clause), LPGL, CC0, CC BY, CC BY-SA, and probably similar licenses. GPL would be not so great but I would still accept it.

I won't take submissions which fail these simple but strict criteria.

I'm of course still thankful for any help I get in terms of media files, but I want to be absolutely sure no proprietary data sneaks in, so I have to filter out anything which leaves doubts. I want MineClone 2 to be free software, no strings attached.

@daufinsyd: Oh how nice! You already included all the important infos in your squid post. :-) Squids are cool, I should include them soon.

Oh, and about the blaze sounds you submitted: Is it OK when I write that your blaze sounds are licensed as CC0? Or do you choose a different license?

PS, daufinsyd: Since you wondered where to put licensing infos: You can now put licensing and author information into mods/ENTITIES/mobs_mc/README.md.

Wuzzy

Version 0.11.0 (The Cocoa Update)

by Wuzzy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 19:48

Version 0.11.0, nicknamed “The Cocoa Update”, released.

Highlights:
  • Cocoas! They grow on the side of jungle wood and can be found in jungles. Farm them for cocoa beans by rightclicking a jungle wood with cocoa beans
  • Rain, snow, thunder and lightning (mostly audiovisial effects for now)
  • The Void! It is dark, deadly and below the lowest bedrock layer. Don't fall into it.
  • Squids! They spawn in oceans and drop ink sacs (thanks, daufinsyd!)
  • Map item: Hold it the hotbar to be allowed to use the minimap (F7). This behaviour is subject to change in future
  • Add magenta glazed terracotta, yellow glazed terracotta, purple glazed terracotta

Mobs
  • Tweak the spawn behaviour of all mobs
  • Throwing eggs on the ground may now spawn 1 or 4 chickens
  • Wolves can now be tamed with bones
  • “Dog” is now called “Tamed Wolf”
  • Spider mobs are now neutral

Mapgen
  • Complete overhaul of the bedrock generation algorithm. Bedrock generates now a few layers higher
  • The desert temples have returned!
  • Map generation of dead bushes, sugarcanes, cacti and tall granes reworked

Blocks
  • Replace entire fire logic by much update Minetest Game 0.4.15's code. Fire spread is slowe and fire is not so extremely loud
  • Soul sand makes you slower in general and even slower if a slime block, ice or packed ice is beneath
  • Sugar canes now grow near frosted ice
  • Sugar canes now only grow directly next to water/frosted ice
  • Sugar canes now also grow on sand, redsand, podzol, coarse dirt, dirt, grass block
  • Armor stands have no formspec anymore. You now interact with rightclick + holding armor or empty hand

Items
  • Fishing rod has finite durability now
  • Fishing rod is used with rightclick
  • Add some unique ways to obtain the 8 music discs for the jukebox. Crafting or rare drops by creepers or zombies

Commands
  • /weather (to set the weather)

Bugfixes
  • Fix crash when particular items were transferred via hopper
  • Fix error messages after saplings grow
  • Complete overhaul of the bedrock generation algorithm
  • Melons don't rotate anymore
  • Prevent to put armor on non-armor slots
  • Soil gets now wet with a range of 4 instead of 3
  • Fix getting unknown item while fishinig
  • Fix missing texture of sheared sheep
  • Use correct player image in inventory menu
  • Items can not be collected by punching anymore
  • Update some inventory images

Other
  • Much more precise flowing of dropped items in water, thanks to flowlib by Qwertymine
  • Sound overhaul: Saplings use leaf sounds, tool breaking sounds, flint and steel usage sound, melon, snow, snow layer, torch, redstone torch
  • Remove some temporary crafting recipes
  • Update README files all over the place
  • Restructure mods into big modpacks for better overview
  • Remove and/or replace a couple of sound files with questionable legal status

Bu_Gee

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.11.0]

by Bu_Gee » Mon Feb 20, 2017 22:35

I saw some activity in the GIT changelog about 10 days ago about the addition of nether elements.

Is nether working yet? I couldn't get a nether portal using the MC method.

TIA.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 23:29

Neither the Nether nor the End are part of the subgame at the moment. It's only the blocks which are available. You can currently craft them for fun and decoration (and nether warts). ;-)

Jaen

by Jaen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 00:07

A few more things I've noticed while testing:

1.) Chests should have opening and closing sounds.

2.) Furnaces should have a burning / crackling sound when in use.

3.) Using a flint and steel on Netherrack, the flame should burn forever until player puts out flame.

4.) MineClone2 torches seem dimmer than Minecraft torches when lighting up areas.

5.) In Minecraft when sun starts to set you can sleep before it turns pitch black, easy to get wrecked by mobs in MineClone2 while cursing at and spam clicking the bed when you fear for your life, lol.

6.) Desert temples in MineClone2 sometimes generate flooded with water on inside or filled with dirt.

7.) With squids now in game, can the temporary coal to ink sac be removed from crafting?

Will post again after more testing :)

Jaen

by Jaen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 03:06

The update to sleep time is now extremely close to Minecraft, thank you :)

Jaen

by Jaen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 03:22

Found a bug with furnace after the latest furnace update. Here's two screenshots.

When opening furnace it shows this:

And here is the error log:

octacian

GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

by octacian » Tue Feb 21, 2017 04:52

So, here's a couple things I noticed when trying this out. Was a bit skeptic at first, but with v0.11.0 things are getting better.

• Villages often are generated in the air
  • Health regenerates way too fast
  • Villages almost immediately burn down due to lava in the blacksmith building
  • Sometimes I get showered with CONTENT_IGNORE errors (trying to place an invalid block)
  • ..and sprint is REALLY needed

What I'd recommend you do for sprinting until you get an actually good sprinting mod in place is just set the speed in the subgame configuration file. Anyways, still, great for.
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, Interchangeable Hands

Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

sofar

GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 06:14

I don't understand why you chose a 32px texture pack at all, it is in direct conflict with your stated goals of emulating the original version as much as possible.

It also makes it much harder for texturepackers to undo. Please consider making 16px the default and shipping your 32px texture pack as an actual optional texturepack.

Jaen

by Jaen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:53

Updating to the latest git fixed my furnace texture problem, thanks :)

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

by texmex » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:54

What sofar said.
I spend all my days going down to the mines. Under the ground where the sun never shines. Breaking my back I put heat in your house. I’ve got the roar of a digtron, the breath of a mouse.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 13:28

Jaen wrote:4.) MineClone2 torches seem dimmer than Minecraft torches when lighting up areas.

This is just how Minetest's lighting works, I can't really do much about it.

7.) With squids now in game, can the temporary coal to ink sac be removed from crafting?

Done.

So, here's a couple things I noticed when trying this out. Was a bit skeptic at first, but with v0.11.0 things are getting better.

Villages often are generated in the air
Health regenerates way too fast
Villages almost immediately burn down due to lava in the blacksmith building
Sometimes I get showered with CONTENT_IGNORE errors (trying to place an invalid block)
..and sprint is REALLY needed

What I'd recommend you do for sprinting until you get an actually good sprinting mod in place is just set the speed in the subgame configuration file. Anyways, still, great for.

Maybe you just need to update to the latest version, and start a new world. Villages don't generate anymore since a LONG time because they were buggy as hell. Also, I haven't seen CONTENT_IGNORE bugs since long. If you still see one, post a screenshot with debug screen on.
Yes, health regen is very fast at full food leve, maybe I misunderstood the Minecraft Wiki.
There's a sprinting mod present but it seems to be broken. Maybe it's in double-tap mode. I guess I just need to replace this mod.

On the other hand, the player speed is already overwritten by the soul sand, so I first have to be able to deal with multiple player physics, and than use that one to handle sprinting.
Such a “player physics” API is badly needed anyways, so I guess a new mod will arise from this.

Jaen

by Jaen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 15:18

How does the bow and arrow mod work? I can't seem to shoot arrows.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Tue Feb 21, 2017 17:57

Wuzzy wrote:Yes, health regen is very fast at full food leve, maybe I misunderstood the Minecraft Wiki.

no no, at full food bar, helth regen very fast >>> if in easy or normal.
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

PreviousNext

Return to WIP Subgames