[Game] Carbone [carbone] – minetest_game, improved

Subgames that have been abandoned and no longer work properly with the latest version of Minetest.
Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

Re: [Game] Carbone [carbone] – an improvement to minetest_ga

by Calinou » Tue Oct 28, 2014 22:10

FreeLikeGNU wrote:I'd like to add some more creatures to my Carbone server but found that Animals Modpack 2.4 (and the requisite Advanced Spawning 0.0.10) grind the server to 100%. Is there a mod you can recommend to add more creatures to Carbone and keep the server from grinding?

Some mob mods are quite heavy, especially when you run several mob mods at once…

FreeLikeGNU wrote:I run a headless server, I have not found a way to load mods unless they are put in the .mintestest/games/carbone/mods/ folder.
Is that the right place to put them or should I put mods in .minetest/mods/ ? How do I activate them on a headless server?.

Add this to the world's world.mt file (replace modname with the mod name):

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
load_mod_modname = true

FreeLikeGNU wrote:What other mods play well with Carbone?

Most mods that:
  • aren't already in Carbone,
  • don't do the same thing that's already done in Carbone (eg. mobs).

FreeLikeGNU wrote:Do players have to have Carbone and (mods that I add) installed to join my server?

No, media is downloaded on join and all code is run-server side. You can speed it up, if you have good bandwidth, by setting up a remote_media server (a Web server).

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Tue Oct 28, 2014 22:18

It appears that mods that use the minetest_game's doors mod as a dependency might not work with the doors mod in Carbone. Esteban's mod4 mod is an example of such.

Esteban

GitHub: Esteban-
IRC: Esteban
In-game: Esteban

by Esteban » Wed Oct 29, 2014 00:41

Inocudom wrote:It appears that mods that use the minetest_game's doors mod as a dependency might not work with the doors mod in Carbone. Esteban's mod4 mod is an example of such.

Is more an issue of the mod itself. This happens to mods that have not been updated to the latest version of doors. The issue relies on that registering doors was like this before 4.9:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
doors:register_door

But it later was changed to
doors.register_door

The mod is wrong, not the game.

FreeLikeGNU

GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Wed Oct 29, 2014 02:15

Linuxdirk wrote:
FreeLikeGNU wrote:Simply smelting coins to ore seems a bit sad as the coins are given as an achievement and ore can be obtained in greater quantities simply from mining.

Since there is no other use for coins right now smelting them into ingots seems okay for me (I just have too many of them *g*).

I was too harsh. I think its cool that you are working on improving Minetest, I did not mean to disparage your efforts. That said I'm going to give your mods a try. I especially like where you are heading with making coal from things like trees!

many thanks!

FreeLikeGNU

GitHub: FreeLikeGNU
IRC: freelikegnu
In-game: FreeLikeGNU

by FreeLikeGNU » Wed Oct 29, 2014 02:24

Calinou wrote:
FreeLikeGNU wrote:Do players have to have Carbone and (mods that I add) installed to join my server?

No, media is downloaded on join and all code is run-server side. You can speed it up, if you have good bandwidth, by setting up a remote_media server (a Web server).

Thanks for all the good information! I'll check out the remote media server technique as well.

Linuxdirk

GitHub: dsohler
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:02

FreeLikeGNU wrote:I was too harsh.

It’s okay … That’s how the Internet works.

FreeLikeGNU wrote:I especially like where you are heading with making coal from things like trees!

Finally, someone else uses this mod :)

ffx2boy

by ffx2boy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 16:41

hi
I noticed you the beds mod on decorative only due to bugs. Would it be better to use SN's version of PA's beds mods instead of making them decorative only as this versions is a lot less buggy than the regular version. If not would it be possible to cherry pick any of the bugs fixes instead?. It can be found here: https://github.com/ShadowNinja/beds

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Sun Nov 02, 2014 17:12

Most other interior and exterior items are decoration-only, too. Not a big deal imho.

Calinou

by Calinou » Sun Nov 02, 2014 19:10

ffx2boy wrote:hi
I noticed you the beds mod on decorative only due to bugs. Would it be better to use SN's version of PA's beds mods instead of making them decorative only as this versions is a lot less buggy than the regular version. If not would it be possible to cherry pick any of the bugs fixes instead?. It can be found here: https://github.com/ShadowNinja/beds

Sadly, all bed mods are eventually buggy… the player count will overflow all the time.

ffx2boy

by ffx2boy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 20:02

Calinou wrote:
ffx2boy wrote:hi

Sadly, all bed mods are eventually buggy… the player count will overflow all the time.

oh that's a shame. another question sorry...does that happen in single player? if it does not or is not that common. Is it possible to make it useable only in single player? and possibly optional in multiplayer like TNT is in minetest_game.

Calinou

by Calinou » Sun Nov 02, 2014 20:18

ffx2boy wrote:oh that's a shame. another question sorry...does that happen in single player? if it does not or is not that common. Is it possible to make it useable only in single player? and possibly optional in multiplayer like TNT is in minetest_game.

Done.

ffx2boy

by ffx2boy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 20:39

Calinou wrote:
ffx2boy wrote:oh that's a shame. another question sorry...does that happen in single player? if it does not or is not that common. Is it possible to make it useable only in single player? and possibly optional in multiplayer like TNT is in minetest_game.

Done.

ah thats good. so back to the first question. Is it possible to use any fixes from the beds mod I linked to?. I hoping so, considering it just an updated version of bed mod your using minus those new changes you made.

Calinou

by Calinou » Sun Nov 02, 2014 22:30

ffx2boy wrote:ah thats good. so back to the first question. Is it possible to use any fixes from the beds mod I linked to?. I hoping so, considering it just an updated version of bed mod your using minus those new changes you made.

Sorry, but this isn't high-priority to me, so I don't plan on doing it soon.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Tue Nov 04, 2014 14:13

Linuxdirk wrote:Most other interior and exterior items are decoration-only, too. Not a big deal imho.

In my opinion the decorative nodes should become more and more useful in time.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Tue Nov 04, 2014 15:23

Hybrid Dog wrote:In my opinion the decorative nodes should become more and more useful in time.

Like the well being able to be used as water source for the bucket? … I endorse that :)

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Tue Nov 04, 2014 16:41

Linuxdirk wrote:
Hybrid Dog wrote:In my opinion the decorative nodes should become more and more useful in time.

Like the well being able to be used as water source for the bucket? … I endorse that :)

Yes, and I think that the homedecor toilet should be able to flush away items, the sign at the spawn on Krock's server wants that, too, I think.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Tue Nov 04, 2014 18:11

Hybrid Dog wrote:and I think that the homedecor toilet should be able to flush away items,

That’s what the trash can is for :)

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Tue Nov 04, 2014 18:37

Linuxdirk wrote:
Hybrid Dog wrote:and I think that the homedecor toilet should be able to flush away items,

or this one viewtopic.php?id=4339
the search field of minetest forum didn't work, I used google instead

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Tue Nov 04, 2014 20:33

Hybrid Dog wrote:
Linuxdirk wrote:

or this one viewtopic.php?id=4339

Now we have a functional and cheap wooden trash can (and a functional dumpster) from my link, a functional and cheap metal trash can from your link, and an extraordinary complicated to create non-functional trash can from Home Decor :D

I don’t think we need any more trash cans *g*

jp

GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Tue Nov 04, 2014 20:48

Linuxdirk wrote:an extraordinary complicated to create non-functional trash can from Home Decor

Wrong, it's not complicated at all. Just 9 nodeboxes and one image for the grid.

Add a 'trash' function to this trash would be completely useless. You already have a trash in your inventory. Moving the items into a trash model means requires more action(s) by the player. Waste of time and makes the mod probably more unstable for pointless things.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Tue Nov 04, 2014 21:46

jp wrote:Wrong, it's not complicated at all.

We’re talking about different things.

1. Craft 2x3 leaves to 4 × oil extract
  2. Smelt 1 oil extract to 1 uncompressed paraffin
  3. Smelt 1 uncompressed paraffin to 1 plastic sheet
  4. Craft a spool of steel wire with 3 plastic sheets and 2 iron ingots
  5. Craft 3 non-functional trash cans from 2 spools of steel wire and 3 iron ingots
vs: “place 7 wood in U shape to get one usable trash can”

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Wed Nov 05, 2014 18:36

Why do people here like trash cans so much? There are more than 4 trashcan mods yet.

Calinou

by Calinou » Wed Nov 05, 2014 18:51

Lava and acid destroy items – and acid doesn't set stuff on fire, so you can place it safely.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Thu Nov 06, 2014 00:34

I actually like having a trash can. It fits very well in my kitchen. And why not having a functional one? :)

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Thu Nov 06, 2014 14:56

Linuxdirk wrote:I actually like having a trash can. It fits very well in my kitchen. And why not having a functional one? :)

I think minetest needs waste separation. I want to put the plantlife plants and other ones into the compost and get dirt from them. And I want plants that "eat" the dirt to grow.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Thu Nov 06, 2014 22:56

Compost would be awesome. Put saplings, etc. in it and get “fertilized dirt” or so that can be used for farming and results in more crops than default dirt.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Fri Nov 07, 2014 18:48

change farming stuff

better bread crafting

add something like a mix bowl
            add salt and more spices

change hoes

only allow using it after specific delays
            allow pulling it over fields (except wood and stone hoe)

change the way of getting seeds

weed and seldom wheat and cotton plants grow on empty fields after some time
            plants grow next to full grown ones
            fields need to become hoed again after the plant is dug if it's at least middle grown

add threshing flails

add straw and (darkage) straw nodes
            only get the dug plant after digging it
            use the flail to get straw and 1-6 seeds

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Tue Nov 11, 2014 04:10

Hybrid Dog wrote:add threshing flails

My cottages mod already comes with a treshing floor. You have to place that node on the floor, fill it with harvested wheat and punch the threshing floor with a stick until the wheat is seperated into straw and wheat seeds. The seeds can be put into a handmill (quern?) and be turned into flour by punching the mill several times. My mod doesn't change existing receipes.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Tue Nov 11, 2014 15:05

Sokomine wrote:
Hybrid Dog wrote:add threshing flails

My cottages mod already comes with a treshing floor. You have to place that node on the floor, fill it with harvested wheat and punch the threshing floor with a stick until the wheat is seperated into straw and wheat seeds. The seeds can be put into a handmill (quern?) and be turned into flour by punching the mill several times. My mod doesn't change existing receipes.
I need to try it.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Fri Nov 14, 2014 18:36

I don't think your version of itemframes in this sub-game has the following commits:
https://github.com/VanessaE/minetest-itemframes/commit/3e696b7e72d5287d07c41438bc4558e16e1b2403
https://github.com/VanessaE/minetest-itemframes/commit/841be9f4cfe305579971cd28a254b5873b117244
Could you please add these commits to your version?

PreviousNext

Return to Old Subgames