Can't get mods to work.

Mule

Can't get mods to work.

by Mule » Mon Jul 30, 2012 18:55

I did the instructions on the Wiki, but it won't go into the game. I extract the files into the Mods folder, and nothing happens when I play afterwards. Am I doing this totally wrong and missing something very simple?

Thanks
Obsessed with Minecraft and Minetest @.@

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:11

You'll get a faster response (and more accurate solution) by posting to the mod thread directly :-) if you can try to include your debug.txt or any error messages that pop up
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

Qaddosh

by Qaddosh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:21

Create a folder within the 'mods' directory called 'minetest'. Extract the mods in to that newly created directory. If you just extract them into 'mods', they won't work.

Mule

by Mule » Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:46

Qaddosh wrote:Create a folder within the 'mods' directory called 'minetest'. Extract the mods in to that newly created directory. If you just extract them into 'mods', they won't work.

I did that, and an error saying this pops up after I try to join my world:
ModError: Failed to Load and Run

I have 0.4 if that helps

Topywo

by Topywo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 20:02

Mule wrote:I did the instructions on the Wiki, but it won't go into the game. I extract the files into the Mods folder, and nothing happens when I play afterwards. Am I doing this totally wrong and missing something very simple?

Thanks

What files (or mods) are you trying to install?
Windows or Linux?
Whats the full mods folder name you are trying to put the files in? (copy/paste)

Mule

by Mule » Mon Jul 30, 2012 20:39

Topywo wrote:
Mule wrote:I did the instructions on the Wiki, but it won't go into the game. I extract the files into the Mods folder, and nothing happens when I play afterwards. Am I doing this totally wrong and missing something very simple?

Thanks

What files (or mods) are you trying to install?
Windows or Linux?
Whats the full mods folder name you are trying to put the files in? (copy/paste)

Its the animal mod, I have windows 7, and not sure which you mean, but the mods file name is animals_modpack-1.2.91
and the file I'm putting it in is in the folder inside of the mods folder, called "minetest"

Topywo

by Topywo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 20:53

Ok,

- You can cut and paste all of "animals_modpack" subdirectories/subfolders into the minetest folder and delete the animals_modpack folder
- or extract the subfolders of animals_modpack directly in the minetest folder

Good luck and don't shave the sheeps!

Mule

by Mule » Mon Jul 30, 2012 21:06

Topywo wrote:Ok,

- You can cut and paste all of "animals_modpack" subdirectories/subfolders into the minetest folder and delete the animals_modpack folder
- or extract the subfolders of animals_modpack directly in the minetest folder

Good luck and don't shave the sheeps!

Thanks so much!! It worked! Now I can try all the awesome mods I couldn't figure out c:

Topywo

by Topywo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 21:15

Almost forget. I read in one of Vanessa's posts, that a third option is to make a file called "modpack.txt" in the folder animals_modpack. That keeps your minetest folder cleaner.

Great that it works.

p.s. If you don't like some animals, you can delete those folders and the animals mod keeps working for the others.

Mule

by Mule » Mon Jul 30, 2012 21:52

Topywo wrote:Almost forget. I read in one of Vanessa's posts, that a third option is to make a file called "modpack.txt" in the folder animals_modpack. That keeps your minetest folder cleaner.

Great that it works.

p.s. If you don't like some animals, you can delete those folders and the animals mod keeps working for the others.

Alright, awesome :D

(Yeah, once it worked there was a dungeon master in my house e_e)

KenuR

by KenuR » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:09

Where's the mods folder located at?
I have Linux.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:28

KenuR wrote:Where's the mods folder located at?
I have Linux.

If its a run_in_place version: minetest_folder/mods/minetest/
If its a system wide version: ~/.minetest/mods/minetest/ (you have to create it first)

KenuR

by KenuR » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:37

PilzAdam wrote:
KenuR wrote:Where's the mods folder located at?
I have Linux.

If its a run_in_place version: minetest_folder/mods/minetest/
If its a system wide version: ~/.minetest/mods/minetest/ (you have to create it first)

Thanks!

kokofon

by kokofon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 20:55

i've got the same problem, im putting my mods into \minetest-0.4.1-win32\mods\minetest ( zipped, unziped, extracted folders etc ) and nothing works. Im trying to run animals_modpack-1.3.1 and ig got this massage [url]http://s1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/kokofon/?action=view¤t=18e5e57a.jpg[/url] i try other mods the same story nothing is working... any ideas ?

sapier

by sapier » Thu Aug 16, 2012 21:48

You need latest development version of minetest 4.2rc1 for animals modpack 1.3.1

plz read ALL information in animals mod first post I usually add some information for the latest version there that might be usefull
e.g. the minimum required minetest version ;-)
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

Topywo

by Topywo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 21:54

kokofon wrote:i've got the same problem, im putting my mods into \minetest-0.4.1-win32\mods\minetest ( zipped, unziped, extracted folders etc ) and nothing works. Im trying to run animals_modpack-1.3.1 and ig got this massage [url]http://s1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/kokofon/?action=view¤t=18e5e57a.jpg[/url] i try other mods the same story nothing is working... any ideas ?

It's enough for 1 mod not to be working to prevent you from playing a minetest game.

Looking at your message, you're trying to run the latest animal mod with the 'not' latest minetest (I guess the 4.1 stable). Those two don't go well together. The latest minetest has in its game also the wool mod. Animals 1.3.1 is depending on that. Either you install the latest minetest game 0.4.2.rc1 or you install an older version of the animal mod. Perhaps it's also possible to get it working by installing the wool mod (from mod releases).

To figure out if mods are working, you best take a 'safe' mod and install only that one to try out, like the moreblocks mod.

Edit:typo's
Last edited by Topywo on Thu Aug 16, 2012 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

kokofon

by kokofon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 23:02

lol soo ... the main site does not provide the latest version of the game ? smart... ps now everything is working thank you.

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Fri Aug 17, 2012 02:53

Nothing to lol about. The main site offers latest stable. 0.4.2 is only an RC1 for now, not stable.
Last edited by leo_rockway on Fri Aug 17, 2012 02:53, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Minetest Problems