A rainbow without a poptart cat?

0gb.us

A rainbow without a poptart cat?

by 0gb.us » Fri Oct 26, 2012 07:17

I found a string of rainbows underground, but there is no pop-tart cat in sight. That's not normal, is it? The error seems to be repeatable too. I deleted map.sqlite, to force the map generator to try again. The same odd catless rainbow showed up.

The seed is 4666977680476765976, and the rainbow is at (301,-128,206) to (313,-128,206). It's mostly in a wall, if you try to teleport there.

I fiddled with the Lua a little to get the expected location of the cat, but I don't have enough experience with Lua to decipher how the cat generating algorithm actually works, or why it's doing this. The cat should be at (316, -129, 206), with a facing of 3 (not sure what direction that is), and a rainbow length of 14. Since the rainbow is only 12 blocks long, I suspect the cat and the rainbow are being generated, and then the cave is being generated, wiping out the cat and two rainbow blocks. But that's just a theory.

irksomeduck

by irksomeduck » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:03

I don't think you should really concern yourself with this, but the nyancat will be around somewhere.
I love exploring minetest worlds :D
If you have a good seed let me know
--------------------------------------------------
My world/house pack- http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3066

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Sat Nov 03, 2012 23:26

...but there is no pop-tart cat in sight.

POP TART CAT? REALLY I'S "NYAN CAT"
It's "Drag" for the friends.

Sorry I haven't been online as much lately, I'm real busy.
https://forum.minetest.net/download/file.php?id=4472

cornernote

by cornernote » Sun Nov 04, 2012 00:12

Watch this from start to end. It's really enlightening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZZ7oFKsKzY

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Tue Nov 20, 2012 14:57

Hmm. I got busy and lost track of this topic. Sorry for the late bump.

irksomeduck wrote:I don't think you should really concern yourself with this, but the nyancat will be around somewhere.

If it is around, it is detached from its rainbow. It wasn't on either side. I won't concern myself with it though, like you said. Whether it is a problem or not, I don't have the skills to figure it out. I'll focus on things I CAN fix. Like the bug in the bucket. Speaking of which, I still need to write up my post with the fix ..... I still haven't even posted that the bug exists ....

Dragonop wrote:
...but there is no pop-tart cat in sight.

POP TART CAT? REALLY I'S "NYAN CAT"

The creator of the cat named it the poptart cat. As he is its creator, I use his name for it, not the name given to it by someone who paired it with annoying music. Plus, "nya" is the Japanese word for "meow". So basically, people are calling a cat with a breakfast food body a "meow cat". Is "meow" the best description for it? I think not. Plus, "meow cat" is sort of redundant. Sort of like a woof dog, or a ribbit frog.

I don't really care what other people call it, it doesn't bother me, but I'm stubborn, and insist upon calling it by its true name.

cornernote wrote:Watch this from start to end. It's really enlightening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZZ7oFKsKzY

I hate to break it to you, but annoying music being looped for ten hours isn't exactly enlightening.

Hybrid Dog wrote:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
function generate_nyancats(seed, minp, maxp)
    local height_min = -31000
    local height_max = -32

Nyancats generate under -31.
I think this should be
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
function generate_nyancats(seed, minp, maxp)
    local height_min = 150
    local height_max = 31000

I don't know what's up with that. According to this post (http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=40202#p40202) a poptart cat spawns at a height of 24. Try it. It's actually there. I'm not sure how the height_max thing works, but it isn't keeping all the poptart cats underground. Just most of them.

BrandonReese

GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Tue Nov 20, 2012 15:32

The creator calls it poptart cat, but the internets decided to call it nyan cat.

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Tue Nov 20, 2012 22:39

The original creator of the pop tart cat *also* calls it a nyan cat in some of the stuff he sells.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Sat Feb 23, 2013 19:41

Sorry for the late reply. I somehow missed this when the topic was still active.

He calls it that to make money because that's the name people know it by. He ALSO says that to him, it will always be called poptart cat.

Also, while working on an unrelated project, I found the reason for the catless rainbow. It's a mapgen issue. C++ generates most of the map, then calls the Lua scripts, then goes back to C++ mapgen. The second time in C++, it generates more caves, poking holes in everything. This is why the cat was gone, this is why partial trees show up, and this is why floating plants can be found in deserts.

Bug? I don't know. But at least I understand why the cat is gone.

Return to Minetest Problems