Game crashes on startup

warmaster4z2

Game crashes on startup

by warmaster4z2 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 01:54

I'm using lubuntu 12.04 and I download minetest using the software center. As soon as I click on the game icon a blank window appears and it immediately closes. This happens every time I've tried to open the game, I completely removed and reinstalled it but the same thing keeps happening. Could someone help me?

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Mon Mar 04, 2013 02:00

Minetest as included in the Ubuntu repositories is out of date.

Compile it yourself from the git source code repository, or use the daily builds PPA.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Mon Mar 04, 2013 02:56

warmaster4z2

by warmaster4z2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 01:18

I used this link to download the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9U0k_1H3eQ and it actually worked but it lags like crazy which is weird.

And once I enter the world it says "this is minimal development test game use [minetest game] for the real thing"

I thought I had the real thing, in my bin folder theres only one "minetest" executable file

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Tue Mar 05, 2013 01:22

Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

metalfanat

by metalfanat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 08:57

The game closes with a critical error. Note that this problem occurs when the path to the folder goes through Russian characters.
If the game is on the C:\ drive, then there is no problem.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:20

metalfanat wrote:The game closes with a critical error. Note that this problem occurs when the path to the folder goes through Russian characters.
If the game is on the C:\ drive, then there is no problem.

There is a known issue dealing with non-latin characters. Perhaps LevelDB will fix this, just as a byproduct of its modified file access methods/
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

warmaster4z2

by warmaster4z2 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 22:13

kaeza's link solved my problem but now its lagging pretty bad, and on the top left corner it says something like:

Minetest 0.4.5
ERROR[main] generateTexture

Topywo

by Topywo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 19:59

warmaster4z2 wrote:kaeza's link solved my problem but now its lagging pretty bad, and on the top left corner it says something like:

Minetest 0.4.5

You can't do much against lagging. Sometimes it helps to not use certain heavier mods. Check also the viewing distance, toggle r on/off for maximum viewing distance or use + and - .

The ERROR[main] generate Texture might be a mod that misses some textures or can't find (wrong name) those in the textures folder or you deleted a mod with entities, for which it is looking for the textures. I don't know which one. At least it shouldn't be the texture atlas in 0.4.5.

If you can't figure out what is causing it, you can post the ERROR lines from the debug.txt in this topic. With 0.4.5 you'll need to delete your debug.txt first. Then put this line in the minetest.conf file: debug_log_level = 4 . Then restart your minetest game that caused the errors. Then post the ERROR-lines.

Return to Minetest Problems