0.4.6 new ores

adversity

0.4.6 new ores

by adversity » Fri Apr 12, 2013 16:10

First of all, I would like to say how impressed I am with the new fervor for publishing updates and generally improving on the game. Kudos!

I have a small problem. I have a minetest world that I have been using since about 0.4.2 and I am quite attached to it. As such, I copied it into the 0.4.6 install and while everything that was there before is still there, I am not seeing any of the new ores - gold or diamond.

I have followed PilzAdam's advice in the official 0.4.6 thread of heading to a previously unloaded portion of the map in an effort to find the new ores and I did not have any luck.

I then created a brand new map and navigated down to -1000 depth and did not see any of the new ores. I am not saying I conducted the most thorough search ever, but I expected to at least find a few ores but I did not see any gold or diamond.

I consulted the minetest wiki and I believe it has fallen behind as I did not find any info on gold or diamond.

Can someone give me some feedback on about what depth to expect to find gold and diamond? Also, any ideas on why I did not find it on the new world? Am I just doing it wrong?

Thanks!

Casimir

by Casimir » Sat Apr 13, 2013 17:33

Have you also updated "minetest_game" and "common"?

adversity

by adversity » Mon Apr 15, 2013 16:10

Hi Cashimir,

I did what I have done so far in Minetest which is to download the new version from Minetest website and extract it into a new directory and copy the world over.

In the case of 0.4.6, I download the 0.4.6 Zip package from http://minetest.net/download a few days after it was released.

As it is extracted to a new directory, I think it includes an updated copy of "minetest_game" and common" but perhaps I am wrong on that. I was under the impression that the packages on the minetest website contained all of the components for Minetest. If that is not the case, please let me know.

Thanks!

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Mon Apr 15, 2013 16:14

adversity wrote:Hi Cashimir,

I did what I have done so far in Minetest which is to download the new version from Minetest website and extract it into a new directory and copy the world over.

In the case of 0.4.6, I download the 0.4.6 Zip package from http://minetest.net/download a few days after it was released.

As it is extracted to a new directory, I think it includes an updated copy of "minetest_game" and common" but perhaps I am wrong on that. I was under the impression that the packages on the minetest website contained all of the components for Minetest. If that is not the case, please let me know.

Thanks!

The windows builds contain all parts that are needed.

adversity

by adversity » Mon Apr 15, 2013 18:08

PilzAdam wrote:
adversity wrote:Hi Cashimir,

Thanks!

The windows builds contain all parts that are needed.

Thanks for confirming that PilzAdam. Do you have insight to my lack of diamonds and gold?

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 20:01

A: You don't have enough money

B: You don't have a nearby gold exchange station

C: Diamonds and gold are in shortage as the economy crashes

D: Someone stole them.

E: All of the above

adversity

by adversity » Wed Apr 17, 2013 15:15

Traxie21 wrote:A: You don't have enough money

B: You don't have a nearby gold exchange station

C: Diamonds and gold are in shortage as the economy crashes

D: Someone stole them.

E: All of the above

Thanks for the laugh.

Does anyone else have any idea why I cannot find any gold or diamond ore?

Topywo

by Topywo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 18:43

adversity wrote:Does anyone else have any idea why I cannot find any gold or diamond ore?

The ores (checked and found too)

/games/common/mods/default/mapgen.lua:

Gold: -64 and deeper
Diamond -128 and deeper

Cannot find gold/diamond

- You're sure you installed 0.4.6? (left upper corner of your screen)
- Create a new world
Choose Build [build]
Disable damage
Type /grant singleplayer all
press H press J press K press F5 (function key) (middle coordinate is depth/height)
Go to -64 or -128, look for gold and diamonds near or in lava
If you already tried/know this, sorry to bother you with it...

adversity

by adversity » Fri Apr 19, 2013 20:08

Topywo wrote:
adversity wrote:Does anyone else have any idea why I cannot find any gold or diamond ore?

The ores (checked and found too)

/games/common/mods/default/mapgen.lua:

Gold: -64 and deeper
Diamond -128 and deeper

Cannot find gold/diamond

- You're sure you installed 0.4.6? (left upper corner of your screen)
- Create a new world
Choose Build [build]
Disable damage
Type /grant singleplayer all
press H press J press K press F5 (function key) (middle coordinate is depth/height)
Go to -64 or -128, look for gold and diamonds near or in lava
If you already tried/know this, sorry to bother you with it...

Thanks for the reply Topywo!

I ensured I am running 0.4.6 of Minetest and it is present in the upper left corner of my screen.

Today, I created a new world in Build as you suggested and navigated down to depths in excess of -128 and still did not see any gold or diamond.

I have tried all of this before with no luck. However, I did have an idea after reading your suggestions. I disabled my texture pack and when I logged back into the new world I could see the new ores.

Somehow my texture pack was not displaying the ores and in their place only displayed regular stone. The texture pack has not yet been updated to 0.4.6 so I guess it has something to do with that.

Thanks for all of the help and maybe this information will be useful to others.

Return to Minetest Problems