small bug discovered when using mine**aft skins

casper

small bug discovered when using mine**aft skins

by casper » Mon Apr 06, 2015 21:12

Hi.

Greetings, Kudos, and Gratitude to the entire Minetest Community!!

I discovered that minetest seems to paint the legs of a character differently than mine**aft. It's as though the left and right legs are switched. If the legs are symmetrical, you'd never notice. However, if I were to paint a circle on the front of my character's legs, in mine**aft it displays as a circle. In mine test, it displays two back-to-back half-moons. In other words, instead of (), I see )(.

I suspect that the skin might be "wrapped around the right leg in "that other game", and then mirrored on the left, whereas in minetest, it might be wrapped around the left and mirrored on the right. Or vice-versa.

To test my theory, I painted a 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the corresponding sides of a leg. In the editors, the 2 and the 4 look normal on the right leg, and flipped backwards on the right leg. In minetest, the 2 and 4 look proper on the left leg, and mirrored on the right leg.

I've attached a Mermaid Skin that demonstrates this behaviour in Minetest 0.4.12. I'm also using the Wardrobe Mod to change the skin.

Strangely, the torso back of some skins also seems quirky. This Mermaid skin, for example, doesn't seem to display the torso back properly. I've checked everything I can think of with the .png file (size, glitches, etc), the wardrobe mod, and I'm puzzled.

I've been using http://minecraft.novaskin.me/# and MCSkin3D (as recommended elsewhere on this forum).
Attachments
Mermaid.png
Mermaid.png (673 Bytes) Viewed 1764 times

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

Re: small bug discovered when using mine**aft skins

by Krock » Tue Apr 07, 2015 06:56

This is a bug with the common character.x mesh.
Get the latest minetest_game version, it contains a new mesh since a month.
Other (sub)games might also contain this change, check for updates!
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

LazerRay

GitHub: LazerRay

by LazerRay » Tue Apr 07, 2015 14:52

The bug might also be that Minetest uses the older style skins (before the extra overlays and three pixel arm option), where the texture is 64 x 32 pixels.

Most of the online skin editors have been updated to make 64 x 64 pixel textures as their file output, so you have to cut off the extra part and loose some of the texture data that the editor needed for the preview.

Most skins made before the switch should still work correctly since they use the format Minetest uses.

I did some testing with my own custom skin and some that I got a hold of from long time MC players and I didn't see any glitches when comparing what I saw in a skin viewer program and what Minetest displayed.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 15:26

Are there any plans to use the 64x64 skin texture files like in minecraft? I think they're very confusing (the layout is counterintuitive), though this is just because they had to maintain compatibility with the old skins. Also, the outer layer isn't very useful anyway, so I think that it shouldn't be added, at least until we get a better skin changing system.

LazerRay

GitHub: LazerRay

by LazerRay » Wed Apr 08, 2015 14:54

I don't think the extra layers are useful, they were just used as one of the "big updates", then made obsolete once the three pixel arm feature came out in another "big update". Plus the extra layers are very limited in how you can use them.

I think having other parts to the player model as optional items would be nice (3D capes, tails, eras, horns, wings, etc.), capes in MC are mainly exclusive items and the other items are mod features. I think this type of a customization feature is better suited to the open-source community since you could have people contribute more things to it.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 14:55

LazerRay wrote:I don't think the extra layers are useful, they were just used as one of the "big updates", then made obsolete once the three pixel arm feature came out in another "big update". Plus the extra layers are very limited in how you can use them.

I think having other parts to the player model as optional items would be nice (3D capes, tails, eras, horns, wings, etc.)

that would be AWESOME!!!
I'll post some ideas later

casper

by casper » Wed Apr 08, 2015 16:58

I tried a couple skins with this build: Minetest-0.4.12-dev-win64-f81759792e, and sadly, I'm still seeing the same bug.

I know it's probably a long ways off, but I dream about the day when Minetest will have it's OWN skin editor tool.

Kudos to everyone involved! :)

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Wed Apr 08, 2015 18:13

casper wrote:I know it's probably a long ways off, but I dream about the day when Minetest will have it's OWN skin editor tool.

Aseprite may be suited to skin editing.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Wed Apr 08, 2015 19:52

casper wrote:I know it's probably a long ways off, but I dream about the day when Minetest will have it's OWN skin editor tool.

That might be cool to do as an HTML5/WebGL project. Hmm.

addi

by addi » Thu Apr 09, 2015 06:19

prestidigitator wrote:

That might be cool to do as an HTML5/WebGL project. Hmm.

http://minetest.fensta.bplaced.net/editor.html
if you want to continue with it, i can send you the source code

TailsTheFoxDoes MT

In-game: TailsTheFox

by TailsTheFoxDoes MT » Sun Jan 31, 2016 03:25

casper wrote:Hi.

Greetings, Kudos, and Gratitude to the entire Minetest Community!!

I discovered that minetest seems to paint the legs of a character differently than mine**aft. It's as though the left and right legs are switched. If the legs are symmetrical, you'd never notice. However, if I were to paint a circle on the front of my character's legs, in mine**aft it displays as a circle. In mine test, it displays two back-to-back half-moons. In other words, instead of (), I see )(.

I suspect that the skin might be "wrapped around the right leg in "that other game", and then mirrored on the left, whereas in minetest, it might be wrapped around the left and mirrored on the right. Or vice-versa.

To test my theory, I painted a 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the corresponding sides of a leg. In the editors, the 2 and the 4 look normal on the right leg, and flipped backwards on the right leg. In minetest, the 2 and 4 look proper on the left leg, and mirrored on the right leg.

I've attached a Mermaid Skin that demonstrates this behaviour in Minetest 0.4.12. I'm also using the Wardrobe Mod to change the skin.

Strangely, the torso back of some skins also seems quirky. This Mermaid skin, for example, doesn't seem to display the torso back properly. I've checked everything I can think of with the .png file (size, glitches, etc), the wardrobe mod, and I'm puzzled.

I've been using http://minecraft.novaskin.me/# and MCSkin3D (as recommended elsewhere on this forum).
I noticed a major error in some minecraft skins, which, though it can easily be corrected, it still is corrupt.
I'm the TailsTMM of minetest, in other words, i rock.
BRAAAAAZZZZAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW it means TailsTheMeseMinecart, but that isn't my name, it's just a way of saying that i basically do the same thing Dantdm does but i do it with minetest And you problably can't see the invisible ink.
My mods:
My first mod:tails_boss

Mob_pack now has voice acting! Do you want YOUR VOICE included? Look in my posts for the thread!

Return to Minetest Problems